Better Noise Gate algorithm

Want a better noise gate ?

• Total voters
FractalAudio said:
I guess I have to ask "What is wrong with the noise gate?".

I agree, I find the gate works great, but then again I'm an old rocker playing classic rock and no fast palm muting stuff. Thanks for listening, time for my rogain and metamucil.

vinceh said:
FractalAudio said:

I agree, I find the gate works great, but then again I'm an old rocker playing classic rock and no fast palm muting stuff. Thanks for listening, time for my rogain and metamucil.
Hahahaha... That was funny... We'll all eventually get there!!!

mortega76 said:
vinceh said:
FractalAudio said:

Hahahaha... That was funny... We'll all eventually get there!!!

It sucks man, I'm 43 (not that old I guess), but I always wanted to be 20 forever!

Beefcake said:
FractalAudio said:
I guess I have to ask "What is wrong with the noise gate?". I just tried the Clawfinger technique and it sounds the same to me.

I hear people complaining but no one has spelled out what the problem is.

At least for me, it's fast high gain palm mutes. The gate just doesn't cut them out fast enough, there's a quick fading noise after each note and it sounds slightly like butt and detracts from the feeling of chunking along. I find "TCT" a lot more satisfying in this regard. I suspect Clawfinger thought the same.

For anything else, IMHO, the stock gate is just fine, but then again I don't use gate for much else, like I said.

This is with the release rate all the way up (i.e. as fast as it can close)?

AlbertA said:
Beefcake said:
FractalAudio said:
I guess I have to ask "What is wrong with the noise gate?". I just tried the Clawfinger technique and it sounds the same to me.

I hear people complaining but no one has spelled out what the problem is.

At least for me, it's fast high gain palm mutes. The gate just doesn't cut them out fast enough, there's a quick fading noise after each note and it sounds slightly like butt and detracts from the feeling of chunking along. I find "TCT" a lot more satisfying in this regard. I suspect Clawfinger thought the same.

For anything else, IMHO, the stock gate is just fine, but then again I don't use gate for much else, like I said.

This is with the release rate all the way up (i.e. as fast as it can close)?

all the way down counter-clockwise is as fast as it will close (to avoid confusion). The big difference between the block gate and the global gate in regards to the release is that the global release only goes down to 10ms while the block goes down to 2.

The AFX Noise Gate/Noise Reduction (as is) does not do as good a job as the $450 Boss GT equivalent (I own both & have compared them) - I would think this alone would be considered enough reason to make it better.

~Rad~

Radley said:
The AFX Noise Gate/Noise Reduction (as is) does not do as good a job as the $450 Boss GT equivalent (I own both & have compared them) - I would think this would be considered enough reason to make it better.

~Rad~
Is this with the improvements from 7.15?

mortega76 said:
Radley said:
The AFX Noise Gate/Noise Reduction (as is) does not do as good a job as the $450 Boss GT equivalent (I own both & have compared them) - I would think this would be considered enough reason to make it better.

~Rad~
Is this with the improvements from 7.15?

I have not installed 7.15 yet, but as I understand, the AFX NR operates on a different principle than the newer Boss GTs. I will load the new software tomorrow, and check out the latest improvements!

~Rad~

Radley said:
The AFX Noise Gate/Noise Reduction (as is) does not do as good a job as the $450 Boss GT equivalent (I own both & have compared them) - I would think this alone would be considered enough reason to make it better.

~Rad~

There is a balancing act or trade-offs if you will.

I am not sure how much of the improvements Cliff talked about in this thread were put into the latest firmware release. But is sounds like there is the potential for great improvement at a cost of CPU usage.

So if I am looking only for NR then maybe the choice is the $450 BOSS GT. But if I look at how I use the Axe-FX in totality I am going to go with the Axe-FX everytime because the amp sims and effects, IMHO, are much better. For me the balance is more towards amp sims/effects and while the NR may not be best in class it was certainly usable and just got better.

vinceh said:
I'm an old rocker playing classic rock and no fast palm muting stuff. Thanks for listening, time for my rogain and metamucil.
(…)
It sucks man, I'm 43 (not that old I guess), but I always wanted to be 20 forever!
Hey, I'm 43 too, and I play both classic rock and fast palm muting stuff :twisted: I wont play Santana and Between the Buried And Me with the same band though ;)

I didn't tested the improved NG yet (standard user, and at work right now). But imho, the Axe is much cleaner sounding than the Boss/Line 6 units, and don't need the gate that much on most patches. Except probably for those fast palm mutes ; I've yet to program these kind of sounds, where an ISP Decimator type gate would rule. But the Clawinger tip may be enough for that, as the block can be placed anywhere in the chain. Personaly, I prefer the gate after the amp.

fremen said:
vinceh said:
I'm an old rocker playing classic rock and no fast palm muting stuff. Thanks for listening, time for my rogain and metamucil.
(…)
Hey, I'm 43 too, and I play both classic rock and fast palm muting stuff :twisted: I wont play Santana and Between the Buried And Me with the same band though ;)

I didn't tested the improved NG yet (standard user, and at work right now). But imho, the Axe is much cleaner sounding than the Boss/Line 6 units, and don't need the gate that much on most patches. Except probably for those fast palm mutes ; I've yet to program these kind of sounds, where an ISP Decimator type gate would rule. But the Clawinger tip may be enough for that, as the block can be placed anywhere in the chain. Personaly, I prefer the gate after the amp.

If you have an Ultra, you can do an ISP decimator gate. That is what the SC select is for,

I would love to have an Ultra… But it's really out of my reach. Even getting a standard was hard for me, as you can read in my review…

javajunkie said:
If you have an Ultra, you can do an ISP decimator gate. That is what the SC select is for

Sean,

Is there a thread about using this? It may be what I'm looking for :shock:

~Rad~

fremen said:
I would love to have an Ultra… But it's really out of my reach. Even getting a standard was hard for me, as you can read in my review…

Fremen - You might try looking for a used Boss NS-2 on eBay, etc (if you're not using the AFX loop for other purposes) I used one for years with my rack setup and it worked beautifully (they are not expensive).

~Rad~

Radley said:
javajunkie said:
If you have an Ultra, you can do an ISP decimator gate. That is what the SC select is for

Sean,

Is there a thread about using this? It may be what I'm looking for :shock:

~Rad~

There is somewhere, but it is not hard.

Place the gate after the amp block. on a blank row run shunts from the input until one block before the gate. connect the shunt to the gate. Set the SC select of the gate to the shunt row. Set you gate parameters as normal. Using this method the gate detection occurs at the input but it applied after the amp. You can really lower the threshold this way but still get strong gating going on. It is the same concept the ISP descimator uses. Another thing you can do to fine tune the gate is set the hipass and lowpass filter on the gate. This lets you fine tune the type of noise (hi-freq, lo-freq) that will trigger the gate.

This applies to the compressor as well.

Radley said:
fremen said:

Fremen - You might try looking for a used Boss NS-2 on eBay, etc (if you're not using the AFX loop for other purposes) I used one for years with my rack setup and it worked beautifully (they are not expensive).

~Rad~
Thanks for the tip :) The noise gate is not really an issue for me but I may try that

Back
Top Bottom