Better Noise Gate algorithm

Want a better noise gate ?

• Total voters
javajunkie said:
Radley said:
javajunkie said:
If you have an Ultra, you can do an ISP decimator gate. That is what the SC select is for

Sean,

Is there a thread about using this? It may be what I'm looking for :shock:

~Rad~

There is somewhere, but it is not hard.

Place the gate after the amp block. on a blank row run shunts from the input until one block before the gate. connect the shunt to the gate. Set the SC select of the gate to the shunt row. Set you gate parameters as normal. Using this method the gate detection occurs at the input but it applied after the amp. You can really lower the threshold this way but still get strong gating going on. It is the same concept the ISP descimator uses. Another thing you can do to fine tune the gate is set the hipass and lowpass filter on the gate. This lets you fine tune the type of noise (hi-freq, lo-freq) that will trigger the gate.

This applies to the compressor as well.

Man, I am on here every day and had never seen that, thanks so much. I have been marginally happy with the gate so if the new improvements don't work for me I'll try this route. Hell, I've heard so many great things about the decimator I think I will try your suggestion above anyway.

Thanks Sean, have a good weekend everyone! :D

Secret80'sMan said:
Hell, I've heard so many great things about the decimator I think I will try it anyway.
The Decimator is absolute killer. A friend of mine uses one and it totally rocks. I'm actually thinking about getting one since the Axe's NoiseGate never really did it for me. I can understand that users go through most obscure scenarios to use gates in the Axe, but what's the gate block right after the input for then :lol: . Sometimes the easiest route (just getting a Decimator) is actually the best...

I rarely use a noise gate.
I always have a volume pedal, post gain, and I'm never using super hi-gain sounds like lots of you other folks anyway.

But compared to the other noise gates I've had experience with in the past, the Axe's is way better.
It never seems to cut off my quietest picking and just kicks in when the pickup noise becomes audible.

What characteristics would a better noise gate have that the Axe noise gate is missing?

joegold said:
What characteristics would a better noise gate have that the Axe noise gate is missing?
Beefcake said:
At least for me, it's fast high gain palm mutes. The gate just doesn't cut them out fast enough, there's a quick fading noise after each note and it sounds slightly like butt and detracts from the feeling of chunking along. I find "TCT" a lot more satisfying in this regard.
Since the OP agreed with me, that seems to be what this thread is about.

I'm new to the Axe (got my Ultra a couple of weeks ago - loving it) and am getting up to speed on the Gate discussions here.

One request I have after tinkering in recent days is that the global Noise Gate Threshold be controllable with a modifier. I don't think this would require a lot of additional cpu resources but would enhance the global gate usefulness quite a bit.

Example - I set up a patch yesterday that uses an expression pedal to vary the drive and amp gain from very low (heel down) to very high (toe down). This worked very well so the last step was to vary the global gate threshold along with the same pedal movement (heel down = off, toe down = hi-gain gating). To my surprise, there's no modifier capability on any of the global gate parameters. If the global gate is set for hi-gain type of usage and I switch to a clean patch, I have no way to turn the global gate down or off other than to manually go in and turn it down. Maybe I've missed something here?

I know I can do this with a Gate/Exp block, but I'd prefer not to use another block just for this while the global gate works just fine for me except for the lack of control.

sprint said:
If the global gate is set for hi-gain type of usage and I switch to a clean patch, I have no way to turn the global gate down or off other than to manually go in and turn it down. Maybe I've missed something here?

The Noise Gate isn't global. You set its parameters per patch.

FractalAudio said:
sprint said:
If the global gate is set for hi-gain type of usage and I switch to a clean patch, I have no way to turn the global gate down or off other than to manually go in and turn it down. Maybe I've missed something here?

Ah - great - Thanks! - So the only thing I'm looking for then is to be able to control the Threshold somehow.

sprint said:
FractalAudio said:
sprint said:

Ah - great - Thanks! - So the only thing I'm looking for then is to be able to control the Threshold somehow.

Move the knob, watch it change :lol: :lol:

AlbertA said:
Move the knob, watch it change :lol: :lol:

Ya - Your a barrel of laughs there buddy - so do you know how to adjust gate threshold from a pedal (I won't hold my breath for an answer).

Adding a modifier to the Threshold parameter on the main gate would be a useful addition.

sprint said:
Adding a modifier to the Threshold parameter on the main gate would be a useful addition.

I think so too, and it has been suggested before, but I am guessing it isn't doable, or Cliff would have implemented it already.

Thanks for explaining that method, Java. I just tried it, and I have to say... it works perfectly. Much better than global gate, and much better than the Decimator G-string I used to own. I honestly don't know how what more anyone could want from a noise gate.

I'm becoming more and more glad that I got the Ultra :D

Back
Top Bottom