Best way to screw up your Axe-fx...

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I wanted to know what not to do to my Axe-fx... Aside for the obvious... spill beer, milk, soda, etc.

Load the Ultra firmware into Standard. I've read that screws things up big. But you have an Ultra, no?

Don't know about the other way around, though. Standard firmware into an Ultra. On the other hand, why would you want that?

Don't do the secret hardware test that you find by keeping the Utility button pressed.
It'll erase the entire memory.

Don't slect Digital In from the I/O menu's 1st page while your speakers are on.
It'll put out a real loud ugly noise.

avoid running phantom power into the xlr jacks.
but if you do, make sure the phantom power is on before you plug them in.
iirc, the surge when phantom power is initially flipped on might cause damage, but the regular phantom power current should get blocked. also, I'm not sure if this doesn't matter anymore with newer units.

don't power it on and off as fast as you can. 2-3 seconds between each is probably enough.

be very very careful with very very old firmware.

Rocket morton has some inside secrets on "borking" your Axe-Fx. Something about plugging power amp into the Axe... :lol:

Maybe he'll chime in on his advanced techniques. ;)

A lot of good ones here...

Dutch said:
Load the Ultra firmware into Standard. I've read that screws things up big. But you have an Ultra, no?

Don't know about the other way around, though. Standard firmware into an Ultra. On the other hand, why would you want that?
Probably one of the worst... great one Dutch!

godprobe said:
avoid running phantom power into the xlr jacks.
but if you do, make sure the phantom power is on before you plug them in.
iirc, the surge when phantom power is initially flipped on might cause damage, but the regular phantom power current should get blocked. also, I'm not sure if this doesn't matter anymore with newer units.

don't power it on and off as fast as you can. 2-3 seconds between each is probably enough.

be very very careful with very very old firmware.
Oooooh another good one...

mitch said:
I dunno....don't put a Line 6 device in the FX loop? ;)
Worst thing you could possibly do! ;)

It's pretty easy.

DON'T SCREW AROUND.

I just don't get the 'ooh, what can I do that's NOT documented?'. Every instruction, every tutorial is pretty clear, but for some reason, there's a population of knuckleheads that need to do something 'out of the box', then expect that Cliff will pull thier asses out of the fire.

No offense, but get a clue.

I still read threads of guys who say things like 'I'm going to put 6V6's in my 6L6 amp' (when the builder sais Don't f&*king do that!), or the ultimate 'What if I put 20 watt speakers in a 2x12 and put my Marshall Major through it?'

It's pretty easy.

DON'T SCREW AROUND. Yer tone won't get better because you know the 'secret menu'.

electronpirate said:
I still read threads of guys who say things like 'I'm going to put 6V6's in my 6L6 amp' (when the builder sais Don't f&*king do that!), or the ultimate 'What if I put 20 watt speakers in a 2x12 and put my Marshall Major through it?'
Hey, I used a Hot Spot with my Super Lead 100W at rehearsals. Sounded fine, and I never blew it up. :mrgreen:

Jay Mitchell said:
Hey, I used a Hot Spot with my Super Lead 100W at rehearsals. Sounded fine, and I never blew it up. :mrgreen:

Yeah, but them bitches are rated at 10,000 watts no? They can hang.

with rack gear I try to rack it and leave it and always keep it racked. None of this, it fits so well on this shelf stuff. Which is fine and plenty of people work with there axe-fx out of a rack but I think its asking for trouble. Its like a hermit crab out of its shell.

Also despite the shape of certain rack gear reminding me of it, the axe-fx shouldn't be used as a child booster seat at the olive garden.

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Axe-Fx.

Caution: Axe-Fx may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Axe-Fx contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.

Discontinue use of Axe-Fx if any of the following occurs:
itching
vertigo
dizziness
tingling in extremities
loss of balance or coordination
slurred speech
temporary blindness
profuse sweating
or heart palpitations.

If Axe-Fx begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Axe-Fx may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Axe-Fx should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of Axe-Fx of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Axe-Fx include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Do not taunt Axe-Fx.

Axe-Fx! Accept no substitutes!

Slipped off my desk at work and now the night custodians have it. They've been trying to tune in Mexican radio with it! :shock: .....& control the hydraulics in their low riders. ;)
axefxtr1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom