Best Stereo pair of FRFR's for Axe FX 3

I know it's not a pair, but I'm digging a stereo Mission 212 and have found it to be great on stage. Heavy, but I put some wheels on it and they seems to be holding up well. Just another thought.

Assuming this is for home use given the question and context. Just keep the power amp + cabs and disable the cab block in the Fractal either on the presets themselves or globally. Once you're ready to start recording and experimenting with tones for which 2x12 mesa cabs aren't ideal then get a pair of studio monitors, or good headphones since you mentioned needing "silent/quiet amps."

I haven't owned a real guitar cab in close to 10 years now and have never felt the need for FRFR given that IEMs have been the industry standard for a long time for live/rehearsal, and studio monitors for decades longer for recording. I practice at home with what you'd find in any studio around the world: studio monitors and acoustic treatment. This gives me an accurate representation of 1) reference tones, 2) my sounds, and 3) the track I'm working with. The result is that I can accurately hear how the tones are sitting in the mix I'm working on, while comfortably seated at my desk without having to patch anything and no visible cables anywhere. It's a much better workflow than playing a song on your phone or some cheap plastic PC speakers and trying to match that with an "FRFR" or cranked guitar cabinet pointed at your knees.

Last edited:
Cab Modeling is easy to turn off and on globally, as others have mentioned. I always recommend
trying it on and off, and then trusting your ears to what you think sounds better. I use actual
guitar cabs and ended up leaving the Cab Modeling on. That allows me to do other things like
using the Hi and Lo Cuts in the Cab Block, Proximity, Room/Air parameters.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience with playing and gear. You know what will sound best for
you, and that will get you farther than any advice from people here with different tastes and ears. :)

It's you playing and listening, so you have to trust your own perceptions of sound---like what sounds good
to YOU!!
Thank you so much LA Szum--- your explanations and opinions are so awesome. I intuitively felt that I could find interesting solutions to using certain cabinet blocks in AF3 with Cab Modeling ON with my Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 amp and 2 Mesa Boogies cabinets in stereo configuration. I was getting frustrated from all the Sweetwater rep discussions telling me that I had to use FRFR cabs with Axe FX 3. The capability of tweaking Hi and Lo Cuts in the Cab Block, with Proximity, Room/Air parameters sounds incredible........total sonic sculpting. I'd be very interested to listen to any recordings, snips or videos of your AF3 playing if its available to share.

I'm just getting started and getting ready to buy an Axe FX 3. What is the best Stereo pair of FRFR's for Axe FX 3? I was looking at Friedman ASM 12 and ASC 12, but read reviews that there is a noticeable hiss--and I need silent/quiet amps. I was thinking of a pair of Friedman ASC-10, but I'm confused as I am wanting to buy an AX FX 3 with awesome pair of FRFR's---appreciate all recommendations and opinions. I also have 2 Mesa Boogie Cabinets (2 x 12's) with Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 amp---- and was just thinking of running Axe FX 3 through this.......but everyone tells me I need FRFR........I'm more into jazz fusion, blues, country and blue grass, R & B so I'm wondering if using Axe FX 3 with Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 amp and 2 mesa boogie cabinets in stereo could work OK. Would the Axe FX 3 cabinet modeling still sound Ok with some tweaking---or should I turn off cabinet simulation in global setting in Axe FX 3?

Modelers are designed to re-create a wide variety of amps/cabs/effects. A good amplification system (frfr) will let you hear more of those as they were intended to sound. A guitar cab setup can sound great also, but you are going to have a certain color of sound baked into the various virtual rigs. It looks like you play a wide variety of music so frfr may be the best choice. Get a decent set of studio monitors if you don't need stage volume or are not playing/jamming live. If you search the forum, you will find there are favorites in every category. I like the Atomic CLR but they are almost impossible to get unless you purchase used.

Modelers are designed to re-create a wide variety of amps/cabs/effects. A good amplification system (frfr) will let you hear more of those as they were intended to sound. A guitar cab setup can sound great also, but you are going to have a certain color of sound baked into the various virtual rigs. It looks like you play a wide variety of music so frfr may be the best choice. Get a decent set of studio monitors if you don't need stage volume or are not playing/jamming live. If you search the forum, you will find there are favorites in every category. I like the Atomic CLR but they are almost impossible to get unless you purchase used.
There’s one powered cab (atomic clr) on reverb right now but slim pickings other than that.

As you can probably gather, “best” is only best for your particular use and situation. Consider price point and intended use and we can narrow down some good options.

Sound wise for me no doubt :CLRs
Would I buy them again ? NO, No way.

If you get any kind of problem with your 2k invest - you will be lost, no replies on any emails, no support, nothing...so, if they should start showing even a small problem, they immediatelly turn to expensive trash. By far the worst company I ever bought gear from.

Sound wise for me no doubt :CLRs
Would I buy them again ? NO, No way.

If you get any kind of problem with your 2k invest - you will be lost, no replies on any emails, no support, nothing...so, if they should start showing even a small problem, they immediatelly turn to expensive trash. By far the worst company I ever bought gear from.
Other electronics shops can repair them. But I agree they have a bad track record, but I havent heard of anyone that didnt eventually get supoort even if it took 3 months.

I had the CLR neo I got lucky and grabbed them without a wait list they had just got a shipment
I loved them BUT as others have said they are pretty much unobtainable AND many have issues with the power amp and support is pretty much non existing

They were a great product though
The one I see mentioned that closest to that is the Redsound
With the Redsound having maybe a bit more of a guitar cabinet quality than the CLR which might be what you want. A cross between a
Freidman and a CLR kind or with attributes of both , especially if you learn toward the Hard rock stuff

Other electronics shops can repair them. But I agree they have a bad track record, but I havent heard of anyone that didnt eventually get supoort even if it took 3 months.
Now you know someone...

(Btw. I agree, if the hypex amp drivers or only mosfets on them are blown you will find an electronic shop that may fix or replace it, but if the atomic board breaks thats it...)
If they should have issues with getting replacment parts themselfs or something, it would show respect towards the client to at least answer their support emails and explain that.
This company on the other side shows very clear that you are only valuable to the point you order from them and pay them. After they have you gold they give a shit on you. Very sad behaviour and a reason for me to never touch any of their products again.
Fractal (G66 in europe) is the 100% opposit to that. Issues I had in the past where cared and solved in a very profesional way.

Back
Top Bottom