Best Power Amp for Modelers

Nope, tube amps are not louder for a given wattage than solid state for the same specification of THD. HOWEVER

The BIG difference is that tube amps slowly (and naturally) compress the output signal so that you can push it to a louder AVERAGE level without being aware of any issues, as the 2nd harmonic distortion produced at the limit is musically leasing, whereas the solid state amp will just distort badly with all sorts of odd harmonics (and make sure you know it)... so, to make it easier and to avoid all the actual details then yes, tube amps are louder (but they're not)..lol

reliability..
the average output power of any amp is actually very low.. any type of thermal/reliability argument/calculation would always favor the (much more efficient) class D module.. higher MTBF across the board (sic) HOWEVER The exception is that if you are running an amp overloaded at the peaks then
a) For a SS or class D amp you are relying on the circuit design and its protection schemes to save you (while it sounds like bees fighting a firecracker
b) For a tube amp you just crank a tube amp as it will naturally protect itself when overdriven...and sound glorious while doing it.

Having a SS/Class D amp 2-5x what you need is the resulting general though..

says the guy using a 900W class D amp for his Fractal..lol
I think there's also a significant difference in wattage ratings, for solid state amps the nominal wattage is usually at 1% THD, while a 50W Marshall will probably reach 1% THD at 1W or so 😅

What kind of difference do you hear between the two? I'm familiar and have my opinions about SD170, but am curious as to yours.
To my hands and ears:

1. BAM "feels" better. Kinda weird to say this, I "feel" like I am playing through one of my tube amps, possibly. That's the feel! I love it and couldn't believe it.
2. BAM sounds more pleasing. The tone I am able to get with the BAM is much more pleasing than what I can am able to get through the PS170 which at sometimes seems to muddy/blanket the tone (this may be related to 3. below).
3. I am able to "dial-in" the BAM using its EQ controls much more effectively and quickly than the PS170 and get the tonal clarity and the punch I'm looking for.
4. Not saying PS170 is bad, it works, but the BAM sounds significantly better to my ears and as importantly, it "feels" much much better under the fingers than the PS170.

I've tried both these power amps with the following 2X12 cabinets and found my assessment to be consistent across all 3:
MESA Recto (2 X V30s), Vox V212c (2 X G12M 25W greenbacks), and EVH 212st (2 X G12H 30W 70th anniversary)

As usual, YMMV :)

Last edited:
When I first got it, I was somewhat satisfied, and preferred to a FRFR setup (including RCF, QSC, CLR). But as I would dial in tones that worked well running to FOH (with ir) and amp/cab (without IR), I would boost the bottom end on the SD170 and slightly attenuate the treble. When I moved to a Fryette LXII, the SD170 seemed to have less overall dynamic range (kind of expected) and was more “narrow” in its frequency response (I know specs say otherwise). No low end boost needed from the Fryette and was more dynamic, though also brighter with more detail in the upper frequencies that needed to be brought back at the Global EQ level.

So the SD170 is gone, and I gained 25lbs or so in rig weight. The sacrifices we make…

When I first got it, I was somewhat satisfied, and preferred to a FRFR setup (including RCF, QSC, CLR). But as I would dial in tones that worked well running to FOH (with ir) and amp/cab (without IR), I would boost the bottom end on the SD170 and slightly attenuate the treble. When I moved to a Fryette LXII, the SD170 seemed to have less overall dynamic range (kind of expected) and was more “narrow” in its frequency response (I know specs say otherwise). No low end boost needed from the Fryette and was more dynamic, though also brighter with more detail in the upper frequencies that needed to be brought back at the Global EQ level.

So the SD170 is gone, and I gained 25lbs or so in rig weight. The sacrifices we make…
You should try the BAM200. I got it for $128 on Sweetwater (it's $143 new now). Grab one while you can. I can't believe one can get such an amazing sounding 200W poweramp for that price. It also suits my needs from an Ohm/Watts perspective because the Mesa is 8 ohms 120W speaker, whereas the Vox is 16 Ohms 50 W and the EVH is 16 ohms 60 W. So its all good!

Last edited:
You should try the BAM200. I got it for $128 on Sweetwater (it's $143 new now). Grab one while you can. I can't believe one can get such an amazing sounding 200W poweramp for that price. It also suits my needs from an Ohm/Watts perspective because the Mesa is 8 ohms 120W speaker, whereas the Vox is 16 Ohms 50 W and the EVH is 16 ohms 60 W. So its all good!
I'm looking at one right now and they are $179.00, it's a bass head right?

Have you tried it in a band setting? Sometimes, bass amps can have a scooped tone that sounds killer by itself, but tends to get lost in the mix.
I have not. But another member on this forum who I communicated with and who, based on my pushing :), tried the BAM with his band has ended up returning the PS170 and the Pedal baby after using the BAM at band practice.

I have not. But another member on this forum who I communicated with and who, based on my pushing :), tried the BAM with his band has ended up returning the PS170 and the Pedal baby after using the BAM at band practice.
Cool. May it serve you well.

I can recommend the ISP Stealth Pro. Class A/B and 180W at 8 ohms, weights about 1 lb and is 9 x 4". (Has a pretty big power supply though.) I am getting amazing sounds with it + my FM9 and Mesa Horizontal Recto 2x12. (Friedman BE100 v3 model)

I just tried this 100W Harley Benton thing for a test with a Creamback neo equiped 1x12 cab G&A Standard. Sounds OK to me and worked flawless for over one hour at 80% volume setting. At band volume I confirm that a poweramp/Guitarcab combination does effectively have a bit more the famous "in your face sound" I used to have with tube amps. The fractal does a good job also in this configuration BTW. At band volume the difference with FRFR (floor monitor or others CLR I have etc) is not enough to me to justify the hassle with specific patches etc. At lower volumes I largely prefer the FRFR sound. I returned the amp to Thomann and will consider getting me a pair of these Redsounds Elis 8.

Well I just got it and tried at moderate volume with the 10-3-10 o'clock settings, already sounds better than the Cobblestone I was using (arguably), I just need to take it to rehearsal to really hear its capabilities. On a side note it looks super cute over my speaker cab :).

I'll make sure to try it with and without power amp modelling at high volume; at low to moderate volume it had more bark to it (without Power amp modeling) but I kinda dig the sound of it with the modeling ON.

BAM200.jpeg

Edit:
Been playing some more at low volume and everything sounds more "alive" and feels more touch sensitive and the picking dynamics are better represented, the stiffness and the blanket effect is gone, the notes sing and it the airy/vocal qualities of single notes really comes accross, I've been having a blast and have a big smile on my face right now, however the jury is still out until it passes the band test. For home use this thing is highly recommended! It does remind me a bit of previous tube amps/setups. I'm aboard the hype train and almost a believer LOL.

Last edited:
Hard to go wrong with a Matrix GT1000FX.
You'll find it in Fractal rigs big and small.

That said, I've been intrigued by the new pedal sized amps I've been seeing, which may pair better with an FM3 from a form factor standpoint. I haven't had a chance to try one yet though.
I don't think that they make this anymore. I can's seem to find one anyway.

I don't think that they make this anymore. I can's seem to find one anyway.
Funny you mention that; I was on their site looking for it too, and couldn’t find it. So I emailed them, and they said that While they’re out of stock currently, they’re still going to be doing them, and that they’re listed on their site still as “out of stock”. But I can’t find it anywhere on there. Weird. I’d really dig the 1000 2U for sure.

Back
Top Bottom