Best Power Amp for Modelers

No complete kit available but you can easily get the board on ebay and here you can find a case and the needed wiring.
It's not complicated at all if you have a bit of familiarity with this stuff
I took another look and you are correct. price difference not large enough to justify imo

I took another look and you are correct. price difference not large enough to justify imo
Yeah, price for those icepower modules can vary quite a lot depending on the moment and even the case's price has gone up recently, when I made it I paid ~180€ for the stereo 125asx2 + case and wiring, basically half the price of a new PS170 (which is mono), so definitely worth it back then.

PS: these days I'd probably try out one of these: https://www.thomann.de/it/harley_benton_gpa_100.htm?glp=1

Yeah, price for those icepower modules can vary quite a lot depending on the moment and even the case's price has gone up recently, when I made it I paid ~180€ for the stereo 125asx2 + case and wiring, basically half the price of a new PS170 (which is mono), so definitely worth it back then.

PS: these days I'd probably try out one of these: https://www.thomann.de/it/harley_benton_gpa_100.htm?glp=1
actually from parts express its pretty cheap but the wiring harness is out of stock... DAMN!

Anybody else try a Bluguitar Amp 1 as a power amp (Going into the effects return)? Sounds every bit as good as my Fryette PS-2A, but much lighter and more compact.

Yes those look ideal for a DIY. Integrated power supply on some of them. I was headed in that direction and then spotted a Crown XLS1000 on the local Craigslist for a good price. It sounds great to me. I was watching a Jimmy Herring rig rundown recently and was happy to see he uses the same amp for his wet setup. Good enough for him is good enough for me.

Edit: didn’t see this was an old thread.
I lucked into a Crown XS700 and I've been thrilled with it.

Heavy, big, and whatever but it punches like a stack of my other power-amps dont.

Anybody else try a Bluguitar Amp 1 as a power amp (Going into the effects return)? Sounds every bit as good as my Fryette PS-2A, but much lighter and more compact.
That's pretty much my experience as well. The Fryette is maybe a bit more neutral and the adjustable presence/depth are useful. But the BluGuitar is quieter, smaller, cheaper and a really good amp in its own right.

That's pretty much my experience as well. The Fryette is maybe a bit more neutral and the adjustable presence/depth are useful. But the BluGuitar is quieter, smaller, cheaper and a really good amp in its own right.

Another benefit about using the Amp 1 in this way, is that you have a back up for your modeler should something go wrong.

I had an opportunity to buy an Atomic Reactor 50/50 Stereo Tube Power Amp a while back. As I’d always used the Axe Fx into FRFR, but have a bunch of great cabs in the music room, I thought I’d give it a try. First impression was that it was really heavy. A look inside revealed why… built super-strong with massive internal parts. It had the original tubes in it (2 x EL34 per channel) so I swapped in some new ones and gave it a go with a Marshall 4x12 greenback cab on one side and a Carvin 2x12 with G1275Ts on the other. Wow… instant arena tone. Huge.

I don’t plan on giving up on the FRFR. It works great and is ultra convenient for gigging. But I now see what all the hubbub is about power amps and guitar cabs. It’s a killer sound! Just thought I would add that older tube power amps are also a great option if you don’t mind a little weight. I’d love to try this through my old Mesa 295 or Soldano 100 tube power amps… wish I still had them now!

I have tried to understand this but still am unclear: If I use a poweramp like the Harley Benton or SD with a cabinet like say the vboutique passive, does this change how I use presets, or how I create new presets? Meaning, If I run my FM3 into the poweramp and out to the passive cabinet, can I still use the AMP and CAB blocks and take advantage of all of the various combos in presets for amps and cabs? I am currently using old active studio monitors and looking for a better sounding solution for home playing. I have been looking at FRFR but the vboutique cabinet with the Celestian speakers made for modeling, combined with either the SD or Harley Benton seems like a nice option.

I have tried to understand this but still am unclear: If I use a poweramp like the Harley Benton or SD with a cabinet like say the vboutique passive, does this change how I use presets, or how I create new presets? Meaning, If I run my FM3 into the poweramp and out to the passive cabinet, can I still use the AMP and CAB blocks and take advantage of all of the various combos in presets for amps and cabs? I am currently using old active studio monitors and looking for a better sounding solution for home playing. I have been looking at FRFR but the vboutique cabinet with the Celestian speakers made for modeling, combined with either the SD or Harley Benton seems like a nice option.
If your cab has the Celestion F12-X200 or F12M-150 in it, you can continue to use your presets the same as you use them with your studio monitors. If it has a regular guitar speaker in it, you need to disable the cab block.

If your cab has the Celestion F12-X200 or F12M-150 in it, you can continue to use your presets the same as you use them with your studio monitors. If it has a regular guitar speaker in it, you need to disable the cab block.
Thanks, that helps a lot. I appreciate the response.

If I used something like a Fryette Power Station 2 with the vboutique F12-200 speaker cabinet would that work with basically:
guitar>FM3>Power Station 2>Vboutique? And then still use Amp and Cab blocks on the FM3?

Or instead of the Fryette, maybe the Crown XLS1502?

Last edited:
If I used something like a Fryette Power Station 2 with the vboutique F12-200 speaker cabinet would that work with basically:
guitar>FM3>Power Station 2>Vboutique? And then still use Amp and Cab blocks on the FM3?

I use a Fryette PS100. You need the cab block bypassed on the output to the PS100. I run into the effects return on the PS100 (not the line in...line in doesn't give the full power of the amp) then into a Mesa 4x12 cab.

with the F12-X200, you should leave the amp and cab blocks enabled. with a regular guitar speaker you'd want to disable the cab block. if you don't already own the power station and don't need the attenuator functionality, you should look into cheaper/smaller options such as the seymour duncan powerstage 170 or 200.

I use a Fryette PS100. You need the cab block bypassed on the output to the PS100. I run into the effects return on the PS100 (not the line in...line in doesn't give the full power of the amp) then into a Mesa 4x12 cab.
this would be correct for a regular guitar cab like the mesa you are using, but the F12-X200 that SpudMan is talking about is a coaxial full range speaker, not a normal guitar speaker, and you need to use the cab block with it.

with the F12-X200, you should leave the amp and cab blocks enabled. with a regular guitar speaker you'd want to disable the cab block. if you don't already own the power station and don't need the attenuator functionality, you should look into cheaper/smaller options such as the seymour duncan powerstage 170 or 200.

this would be correct for a regular guitar cab like the mesa you are using, but the F12-X200 that SpudMan is talking about is a coaxial full range speaker, not a normal guitar speaker, and you need to use the cab block with it.
I did look at the SD amps, not sure if the Crown XLS 1502 is neutral also, but if so, I lean towards it. My goal is to start adding equipment that allow me to continually add to things without feeling the need to replace stuff. In the beginning of this journey, before the FM3, I bought a Blue Jr. 4 amp to tide me over. Now I wish I hadn't as I never use it. For the Crown I feel it would be something I could add to but not feel the short to medium term need to replace.
I have asked this I know before, but for the Celestian F12-x200 passive speaker cabinet, does anyone have experience with vBoutique. I am always wary of buying from companies like that, rather than from places like Guitar Center due to issues with returns if it doesn't work out.

I also have asked this before I know but wondering for home use, not live gigging, if the neutral amp with one 1 x 12 F12-X200 speaker would be good, or if two are "needed"? I don't really care about losing the ability to cross fade from one side to the other, I am just looking for high quality sound.

Last edited:
Only 2x50 watts though, bedroom only.
i hope you are joking and it went right over my head but 50 watts through an efficient 12" guitar speaker is incredibly loud. a deluxe reverb is only 22 watts, and i don't think anyone would call that a bedroom amp. 2x50 watts through two 12" guitar speakers is going to be fender twin levels of loud. unless you're playing with the second coming of john bonham, i can't imagine that not being enough amp.

Back
Top Bottom