Best Power Amp for Modelers

I've ran an SD170 for a few years now into two cabs: a Milkman 1x12 pine (open back) and Marshall SV 2x12 (closed back, vertical orientation). I do this while also sending a cab/IR signal to FOH. Both have worked well depending on the room/gig for creating a more traditional stage sound compared to relying on wedges or FRFR (which I personally think was a bigger issue for the other musicians than it was for me). The cabs sounded different enough regardless of the speakers I used to warrant some different EQ settings, so the SD170 worked well. Still I wasn't entirely satisfied with Marshall as I needed more bass and less mids compared to the 1x12.

Enter the Fryette LXII as of 2 weeks ago. Not a lot of info or reviews out there at the moment. I had previously tried the PS2 with the 1x12, but it went back pretty quickly, as I didn't like the idea of tweaking for real cab to the detriment of FOH. I'm not 100% sure if it is the difference between the LXII and PS2 circuits, or the issues I was having with Marshall, but I'm really enjoying the Fryette/Marshall combo at the moment. Just the right amount of low end and bite that was missing with the Marshall, but I would characterize it as having a broader sonic foot print, frequency-wise. The SD170 has a much more prominent midrange in comparison (verging on being honky when used with the Marshall). So at the moment, I'm using the SD170 with the 1x12 and the Fryette with the Marshall.

To point out the obvious, the Fryette is heavy (25-30lbs) and the fan does get loud (probably the loudest mechanical noise I have to deal with). Once gigs start opening up in San Diego, I'll probably only take it to larger, louder, and longer gigs where 80 lbs of amplification is worth it, compared to 25-30lbs for the SD/Milkman setup. Counterpoint: it looks badass, and if there's anything I truly miss since switching from pedals/amp to the Axe3, it is the visual design of gear.

So, I have been messing around with that SD PS700 for a bit. Sounds pretty great. Plenty loud. The FX12-200 sounds pretty great IMO. A little boomy, maybe. Adding a port is only gonna make that worse, right? I may have to borrow somebody's FRFR to do a side by side ands see if I'm missing anything.

I also have a Quilter 101 Mini Head that sounds pretty good with this cab. I was considering just using that, in fact I still am. Not sure I am ever gonna mess with stereo for gigs but I like having the option. The thing is, I have to go into the pre-amp input to get enough volume. The FX return is just too quiet. Their newer stuff has an FR setting for the pre-amp but this one does not. Still... it sounds pretty good. Anybody using one of these?

So, I have been messing around with that SD PS700 for a bit. Sounds pretty great. Plenty loud. The FX12-200 sounds pretty great IMO. A little boomy, maybe. Adding a port is only gonna make that worse, right? I may have to borrow somebody's FRFR to do a side by side ands see if I'm missing anything.

I also have a Quilter 101 Mini Head that sounds pretty good with this cab. I was considering just using that, in fact I still am. Not sure I am ever gonna mess with stereo for gigs but I like having the option. The thing is, I have to go into the pre-amp input to get enough volume. The FX return is just too quiet. Their newer stuff has an FR setting for the pre-amp but this one does not. Still... it sounds pretty good. Anybody using one of these?
I built two of those celestion spec cabs and loaded them with the f12-x200. I A/B them against my Yamaha hs50m studio monitors, against two headrush FRFR12s, and a yamaha PA and all I can say is WOW! TOTALLY worth the effort to build. Best budget solution out there imo. I'm using a cheap class H Behringer epx4000 too! I think as long as your amp has tons of headroom and low THD the amp really isn't that important...as long as it's not clipping. To my ears the class D amps just don't have as smooth highs especially at high volume. To tighten up the "boomy" change your speaker LF res freq in the amp block to around 75. That's the resonant frequency spec celestion lists for the f12-x200. This is what's worked for me. Honestly I was nervous that all the effort and money building these wouldn't be much different than the solutions I listed. Turns out it's the best my axefx3 has ever sounded and I'm over the moon with how much more inspiring it is playing thru them. Hope that helps.

I built two of those celestion spec cabs and loaded them with the f12-x200. I A/B them against my Yamaha hs50m studio monitors, against two headrush FRFR12s, and a yamaha PA and all I can say is WOW! TOTALLY worth the effort to build. Best budget solution out there imo. I'm using a cheap class H Behringer epx4000 too! I think as long as your amp has tons of headroom and low THD the amp really isn't that important...as long as it's not clipping. To my ears the class D amps just don't have as smooth highs especially at high volume. To tighten up the "boomy" change your speaker LF res freq in the amp block to around 75. That's the resonant frequency spec celestion lists for the f12-x200. This is what's worked for me. Honestly I was nervous that all the effort and money building these wouldn't be much different than the solutions I listed. Turns out it's the best my axefx3 has ever sounded and I'm over the moon with how much more inspiring it is playing thru them. Hope that helps.
Thanks for that info, @Justincase. Glad to hear that this is working for you. Very encouraging! I plan to build one of those cabs for the second speaker. This old Sunn cab has about the same cubic volume (but no port) and it looks so cool. The other will have more of a Hard Truckers vibe, I think.

Thanks for that info, @Justincase. Glad to hear that this is working for you. Very encouraging! I plan to build one of those cabs for the second speaker. This old Sunn cab has about the same cubic volume (but no port) and it looks so cool. The other will have more of a Hard Truckers vibe, I think.
Coated mine with Exohyde epoxy speaker coating from parts express. Great stuff! Easy to apply, Very durable, Pro looking finish. Just waiting on peavey speaker grills Best of luck! 🤘

Attachments

• IMG_20210325_180238622~2.jpg
    IMG_20210325_180238622~2.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20210325_180343085~2.jpg
    IMG_20210325_180343085~2.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210325_091605367.jpg
    IMG_20210325_091605367.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210324_183349840.jpg
    IMG_20210324_183349840.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 52
I've been rocking a Carvin Mach 100 which sounds great. Very neutral and loud. Stereo power amp in an MXR sized box. It was only $150 or so with a coupon.
https://carvinaudio.com/products/mach100-100w-pedal-amplifier

mach1002_2048x.jpg

Another option is to make your own "powerstage", just search for an icepower module (that's what's inside the Seymour Duncan) and mount it in a case. There are several versions with different wattages and either mono or stereo, choose the one that suits your needs.
It will also end up being quite cheaper.

Yes those look ideal for a DIY. Integrated power supply on some of them. I was headed in that direction and then spotted a Crown XLS1000 on the local Craigslist for a good price. It sounds great to me. I was watching a Jimmy Herring rig rundown recently and was happy to see he uses the same amp for his wet setup. Good enough for him is good enough for me.

Edit: didn’t see this was an old thread.

I've been rocking a Carvin Mach 100 which sounds great. Very neutral and loud. Stereo power amp in an MXR sized box. It was only $150 or so with a coupon.
https://carvinaudio.com/products/mach100-100w-pedal-amplifier

mach1002_2048x.jpg
There is one form Harley Benton with exactly same design but other color and brand printing of course for 100€ I use for redundancy.
Loud as hell for this little thing. Only changed power-adaptor to one with smaller dimensions but 1 A more currency for mounting under floor-board.

Fryette PS100. I had the PS2 but the 100w was worth upgrading as it’s a much fuller sound with more headroom. Also, anyone using a Fryette PS should run into the effects loop return instead of the line in…trust me after trying it both ways.

I am running a Duncan PS200 (which is just an update to the 170 with some additional features) into a FRFR cab of my own design. It sounds great and is quite versatile. I use a mixer in between the AXE-FX and PS200 but that is of really no consequence.

I use a Quilter Tone Block 202 through a pair of NEO 12" Celestions. The Tone Block is 200 watts. It has an FRFR voice setting that has no cab sim, as well as 2 voice settings with cab sims if you want to use it as a regular amp. It also has a direct XLR out as well as a 1/4" Signal Out -- or you can mic the cab(s) -- or not. The Tone Block also has it's own EQ, reverb, limiter, master and gain controls that you can tweak along with whatever Fractal settings you're running into it.

Another option is to make your own "powerstage", just search for an icepower module (that's what's inside the Seymour Duncan) and mount it in a case. There are several versions with different wattages and either mono or stereo, choose the one that suits your needs.
It will also end up being quite cheaper.
I looked into that. Doesn’t seem very DIY

Is there a kit I can buy with directions! seems complicated unless I am looking at the wrong product.
No complete kit available but you can easily get the board on ebay and here you can find a case and the needed wiring.
It's not complicated at all if you have a bit of familiarity with this stuff

Back
Top Bottom