Best Power Amp for Modelers

Maybe.

But I’ll tell you this, a 5150 preset, untouched, sounds better through the Matrix than the Ritter.

Then you can tweak the preset to make the Ritter sound as good (almost, but close enough) as the Matrix.
I have heard many good things about the matrix power amps and when G66 decided to distribute them in europe as the perfect choice to amplify FAS modeling it has to be good. Maybe I will try one of them when they launch the first non-rack unit 😉

Glad to hear the Duncan PS 170 works well since that’s all I have right now. I used to use a Fryette Power Station 2 with an AX8 and that was good - should’ve kept that.

So when my FM3 comes, just a simple instrument cable from Out 2 on the FM3 to the input on the PS 170, correct? I’m pretty sure that’s what I read in the manual. I don’t have any Humbuster cables or the kind I’d need to run Out 1 to the PS.
I got some noise using an instrument cable. TRS cable got rid of it. Haven't tried humbusters, nor have the desire to bother making any with how well the TRS is working.

The EQ on the 170 is really quite handy -- it makes small tweaks for dealing with a different room, different guitar, different point on the F-M curve, new/old strings, etc., all so much easier than diving into a global EQ menu. I don't like the 700 as much -- the single volume knob makes it a lot less flexible for using with cabs/speakers of different sensitivity. If I needed stereo I'd go 2x170s before I'd go with the 700.

Another vote for the PS170, it's terrific. I also have a custom amp called the 'straight-ahead mini power amp', which can be used for both guitar and bass, works extremely well with my AX8 and neural plugins. Some here have said there's no such thing as a power amp specifically for modeling amps - though true in general - that's exactly what this is. Look Jay up on FB if you play bass or for another option before shelling dough on the PS700. IIRC I paid $250 for it, rated at 500w RMS @4ohms, pretty slick unit. Both 170 and straight ahead pictured for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_5807.jpg
    IMG_5807.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 76
I used to swear by quilter, but for me the power stage 170 can't be beat. I wouldn't want anything bigger for my fm3

I use a Harley Benton GPA400 with different modelers since today.
Lin6, FX Ultra and now FM3.

Never had an issue with it and enough power.
Depending on location is use 2x12 or 4x12 or both as a 3/4 stack.

• 2x 200 W an 4 Ohm
  • 2x 100 W an 8 Ohm
  • 2x 50 W an 16 Ohm

Before I bought the Mission Engineering Gemini II I had two options. First was old Carvin TS100 50+50w power amp through a Carvin V212 and 5150III 2X12. Then I tried the little Carvin Mach 100 pedal amp. They both worked well I just wanted to simplify since I don't play out and I wanted my office to not look like a Guitar Center threw up in it...

Another very happy Seymour Duncan PS170 user here. The independent EQ is so useful for different guitars and different rooms. I've used it with various modellers over the last couple of years but now with the FM3 it's just about the perfect whole solution for me.

SD170 user here too - paired with a pair of Bogner Cubes its a very very impressive setup IMO with plenty of volume if needed - any louder and you should be mic'd up anyway......

guys can anyone help? i saw that at namm 2015 jason richardson has in his rack as a power amp a QSC PLD model !! any thoughts? is this better than other solutions !which are its pros ?

guys can anyone help? i saw that at namm 2015 jason richardson has in his rack as a power amp a QSC PLD model !! any thoughts? is this better than other solutions !which are its pros ?
I can guarantee that any neutral power amp will work great with the Axe-FX. I use the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 and tons of people use Matrix's stuff. I've also ran my Axe-FX (with poweramp modeling disabled) through my Mesa Mark V 25 poweramp and it sounds great as well.

JR is on instagram, you may be able to DM him there to find his specific opinion. His tone isn't anything too crazy though, its more just that he's insanely good at guitar.

Agree with sixtystring above. Any neutral poweramp should work. I have the PowerStage 200 for an ultra lightweight solution with a 112, although it will drive a 412 too. And I have a Matrix for my stereo 412 cab. Both sound and feel great.

I prefer the Matrix to the Ritter, but not enough to wanna carry a rack case along with an Fm3, it sorta defeats the purpose in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom