Best most compatible DAW for Axe-Fx/Edit 3?

I record 3 channels to one track in my DAW (there's not really much point to recording the DI in stereo): Channels 1, 2, and 5 of the USB input.
Which DAW do you use? Reaper only allows track channels to be allocated by multiples of 2.

Also reaper allows you to save the preset, system settings and firmware in a zip file as an item on the track, if you ever need to overdub.
Hello.. I was unaware of this. Can you point me in the right direction for some info..
I use Reaper and have recorded quite a bit & reamp'd as well..

Hi all,

What's the benefit of recording multiple channels on a track? I use Reaper with my Axe FX III and for drums (Superior, EZ Drummer) I just use multi outs in a Master folder.

Would it just make more sense for guitar applications where you are recording DI and a reference track before re-amping?

Thanks!
Dave

Hi all,

What's the benefit of recording multiple channels on a track? I use Reaper with my Axe FX III and for drums (Superior, EZ Drummer) I just use multi outs in a Master folder.

Would it just make more sense for guitar applications where you are recording DI and a reference track before re-amping?

Thanks!
Dave
Yes. I often keep and use the "reference" for the final mix because I like the tone. But if reamping is desired, the DI signal is embedded in the same clip, making the project cleaner and editing easier.

Hello.. I was unaware of this. Can you point me in the right direction for some info..
I use Reaper and have recorded quite a bit & reamp'd as well..
Hey - I must admit, I never tried this myself - I read it somewhere, and thought it was a super cool feature, I should remember to use, when I next needed it. I just haven't needed it yet. @ccroyalsenders did you ever do it?

I am still trying to figure out how it actually works.

As it has been said, any DAW will work

For me the best one is Cakewalk BandLab I have been using it since it was a simple MIDI sequencer running under MS-DOS and it is completely FREE since it was acquired by the billionaire CEO of BandLab

I have tried all the others, including the most popular and the most expensive, but I do not get used to them and I always go back to Cakewalk.

Last edited:
Also reaper allows you to save the preset, system settings and firmware in a zip file as an item on the track, if you ever need to overdub.
Where can I find info on this? I scanned the docs and didn’t see anything. Searching for “fractal” or “axe” in the docs didn’t pull up anything either. Not sure if it was a fractal-specific feature or not.

I think I may have given incorrect information. I am sure I read this, but I never tested it myself. I cannot figure out how to do it either, and I googled till I was blue in the face

AS Budda said, there are NO Fractal specific DAWS. They all will work.
Now as far as whats best? That is very difficult to answer.
What people use is usually the answer you will get. I'll start and say try Cakewalk by Bandlab-It is FREE.You just have to register with Bandlab then once installed you never hear from them again unless you want to or if there is an update. You do NOT have to be connected to the internet to use CWbyBL. Only to install or update it.
I am somewhat biased since I have been using Cakewalk since the year of the flood, well the late 80's anyway.
Did I mention it is free?
Hey @Stratman68 would love any help you can give. Under Input Drivers and Output drivers in Sonar, the FAS ASIO drivers are all greyed out and non-selectable. Any ideas why? I'm also using an RME Fireface UFX, and that devices has all ins and outs working.

Hey @Stratman68 would love any help you can give. Under Input Drivers and Output drivers in Sonar, the FAS ASIO drivers are all greyed out and non-selectable. Any ideas why? I'm also using an RME Fireface UFX, and that devices has all ins and outs working.
You can only have one Audio interface device at a time using windows and asio drivers. Use to be able to do it with MME\wdm drivers but they are not good at all.
You can use asio4all to accomplish this on windows PC's. I have never tried it myself.
Macs can use aggregate devices, meaning basically more than one audio interface.

Thanks @Stratman68 that actually rings a bell now. How do you work around that? Do you just unplug any other soundcard before firing up Cakewalk, and have studio monitors hooked up to your Axe FX III?

I'll have to give asio4all a try.

Thanks @Stratman68 that actually rings a bell now. How do you work around that? Do you just unplug any other soundcard before firing up Cakewalk, and have studio monitors hooked up to your Axe FX III?

I'll have to give asio4all a try.
1st, I've never tried Asio4all, just remember other guys using it on the old Sonar forum. I have an AX8 and an FM3. I did own all the other Axefx' units except the III-just kept selling them and upgrading-every time actually. I am an upgrading fool.
I only use my rackmount Echo Layla 3G-the drivers are old but rock solid. I did have to get a PCI to PCI express adapter. Got that info from a guy on the new Cakewalk forum-although he was on the old ones also.
The Roland Octa-capture is my backup. Why? I do not know. My PC is extremely fast with 32gb of ram and 3 int hd's. Samsung Evo 256gb for OS. Samsung 970 Evo Pro NVMe M.2 for samples and regular sata III HD for Audio. Had to get a really wide case because of the humongous heatsink\fans I use.

I have always used a mixer to monitor. Even when I had a Boss GT10 way back when I had the same setup (except for the Echo)
The GT10 was a miracle for me-BECAUSE I kept hearing about this fractal Audio thing- Standard and Ultra.... The rest you know.

I like using the mixer to monitor. My 2 Studio Monitors are hooked up to the mixer. My 2 DXR10's are also hooked up to it.

Miles and miles of wire.

Last edited:
I'm trying out Asio4All now. From what I can tell it allows me to have multiple devices hooked up, but not necessarily have both of them enabled in Cakewalk at the same time. Step forward, but not quite there. I may have to resort to just recording from the outs on my AFX to the otherwise unused ins on my UFX. No reason for me to keep fretting about recording via usb other than it can, so I want to. :tearsofjoy:

Sounds like we've had pretty similar gear and recording journeys. My first computer recording was in Cakewalk Pro, then through Guitar Tracks, GT Pro, then pretty much every version of Sonar they released. They made a bundle off me. Had a crappy Digitech RP200, then was blown away by the Boss GT6, then GT8, then GT10, then GT Pro. Watched Fractal through the Standard days, then bought an early Ultra, and as you said... the rest you know.

thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I could never get ASIO4ALL to work with Cakewalk. One of the many reasons I abandoned it. With the III, it isn't as important now.

If you define the track as 4-channel, you don't need to use a second track. It cuts the tracks and events in half, and lets you edit while effortlessly maintaining sync between the processed sound and raw pickup. When you are ready to reamp to a second track, you toggle a couple of mutes in the routing.

I have a couple of track templates I can upload if anyone is interested to see how it works. They come with item notes to explain how each track is configured (including routing) and why. And I'm always looking for feedback and a better way to do things.
Would like to check outs those templates if possible. Definitely interested as I'm trying to learn Reaper now. Thanks!

I record 3 channels to one track in my DAW (there's not really much point to recording the DI in stereo): Channels 1, 2, and 5 of the USB input.

That's how I'm doing it as well. I always have the intention of going back to try different sounds with the DI but not a single time have I actually done that yet.

Just a note, sometimes you're better off using a single audio interface and running things through that under windows, eg taking aes/spdif or using Dante network as the primary interface.

Back
Top Bottom