Best most compatible DAW for Axe-Fx/Edit 3?

Judging by the obvious level of your understanding, I doubt your issue is "IO and Asio" related.
Judging by your obvious hit and run tactic. I'm sure your issue of cowardice and lack of an answer are related

Last edited:
For connecting to Reaper. For some reason Axe fx asio drivers don't work on my PC

Maybe you'll get lucky, but throwing another interface at it may not help. Sounds like you have PC configuration issues. Difficult to say what those issues might be, but I don't think most users have issues with Reaper and Fractal drivers.

I just started reamping using Reaper this weekend. Also had problems with it, but only due to my lack of understanding of how the AXE FX III works. A little perseverance and it's working perfectly now: reamping just one track while listening to the rest of the mix. (just don't forget to adjust the USB input level to match your normal input level)

I just started reamping using Reaper this weekend. Also had problems with it, but only due to my lack of understanding of how the AXE FX III works. A little perseverance and it's working perfectly now: reamping just one track while listening to the rest of the mix. (just don't forget to adjust the USB input level to match your normal input level)
Thanks for the info. This is why I wish there was a more concise guide to TM and reamping. Most of the guides I've come across lack in depth explanation about IO ,USB and asio for the people who may not understand it to begin with. Maybe there needs to be an Axe FX for dummies book. Lol.

ok, here may be some useful information (also reminder for myself)
1 Recording dry track:
  • Create 2 tracks in Reaper and arm both for recording (set monitoring to off):
  • 1st track: use IN 1 [Out 1 block L] / IN 2 [Out 1 block R] (not needed, but handy as a reference track)
  • 2nd track: use input mono IN 5 [In 1 Instr]
Hit record and play away.
2 Reamping:
  • On the Axe FX: go to setup --> I/O --> Audio: Change "Input 1 Source" to USB [Channels 5/6]
  • (optional: in Setup --> USB/AES change the levels to something matching, I changed everything to 0 db)
  • Change the routing in Reaper: Add new hardware output to your dry track and select OUT 5 [In 1 block L] / OUT 6 [In 1 block R]. Uncheck Parent sent checkbox (not sure is this is needed)
  • Create new track, arm for recording, set input to use IN 1 [Out 1 block L] / IN 2 [Out 1 block R], Monitoring to OFF
When you hit play, you can experiment with adjusting the AXE FX settings. Other tracks should be audible as well so you can hear your new sound as part of the rest of your track. Record will record your new sound.
I read somewhere that you have to route the 'normal' tracks to output OUT 3/ OUT 4, but I can't find it anymore in my Reaper project, so you can skipt that apparently.

Hope I got it right.

Looks like there are a few Reaper courses in Udemy. I purchase tons of training stuff on that site when they drop the prices to $10. Some content developers keep their content up-to-date and current too. I'd highly recommend some training just to get the best out of whatever DAW you are using.

You actually save the whole firmware release you were running at the time in your Reaper tracks? That's kind of large. OTOH if you don't have it somewhere to go back to, your saved settings will sound different, so maybe it's worth it

? It's all of 4 mb. I have reaper projects that are several GB.

Edit: I see someone already noted this.

ok, here may be some useful information (also reminder for myself)
1 Recording dry track:
  • Create 2 tracks in Reaper and arm both for recording (set monitoring to off):
  • 1st track: use IN 1 [Out 1 block L] / IN 2 [Out 1 block R] (not needed, but handy as a reference track)
  • 2nd track: use input mono IN 5 [In 1 Instr]
Hit record and play away.
2 Reamping:
  • On the Axe FX: go to setup --> I/O --> Audio: Change "Input 1 Source" to USB [Channels 5/6]
  • (optional: in Setup --> USB/AES change the levels to something matching, I changed everything to 0 db)
  • Change the routing in Reaper: Add new hardware output to your dry track and select OUT 5 [In 1 block L] / OUT 6 [In 1 block R]. Uncheck Parent sent checkbox (not sure is this is needed)
  • Create new track, arm for recording, set input to use IN 1 [Out 1 block L] / IN 2 [Out 1 block R], Monitoring to OFF
When you hit play, you can experiment with adjusting the AXE FX settings. Other tracks should be audible as well so you can hear your new sound as part of the rest of your track. Record will record your new sound.
I read somewhere that you have to route the 'normal' tracks to output OUT 3/ OUT 4, but I can't find it anymore in my Reaper project, so you can skipt that apparently.

Hope I got it right.

If you define the track as 4-channel, you don't need to use a second track. It cuts the tracks and events in half, and lets you edit while effortlessly maintaining sync between the processed sound and raw pickup. When you are ready to reamp to a second track, you toggle a couple of mutes in the routing.

I have a couple of track templates I can upload if anyone is interested to see how it works. They come with item notes to explain how each track is configured (including routing) and why. And I'm always looking for feedback and a better way to do things.

If you define the track as 4-channel, you don't need to use a second track. It cuts the tracks and events in half, and lets you edit while effortlessly maintaining sync between the processed sound and raw pickup. When you are ready to reamp to a second track, you toggle a couple of mutes in the routing.

I have a couple of track templates I can upload if anyone is interested to see how it works. They come with item notes to explain how each track is configured (including routing) and why. And I'm always looking for feedback and a better way to do things.
That was very interesting. I tried recording a 4 track and the switching between Take channel modes for processed and dry, so that works pretty well

Stupid Axe FX question: for 4 channels I have to record out 2 L+R and the dry track, but I can't get out 2 to have the same signal as out 1 (although I have set Copy output 1 to ON). So I had to add an Out 2 block to my preset. There must be a better way.

That was very interesting. I tried recording a 4 track and the switching between Take channel modes for processed and dry, so that works pretty well

Stupid Axe FX question: for 4 channels I have to record out 2 L+R and the dry track, but I can't get out 2 to have the same signal as out 1 (although I have set Copy output 1 to ON). So I had to add an Out 2 block to my preset. There must be a better way.
I send an identical signal to Out Block 1 and Out Block 2 using the grid. I send Out 1 to my monitor amp (for no latency monitoring) and Out 2 to Reaper via USB.

I record 3 channels to one track in my DAW (there's not really much point to recording the DI in stereo): Channels 1, 2, and 5 of the USB input.

Back
Top Bottom