AXR FX II XL Noise over Palm Mute

In my axe fx preset, there is only an amp and a cab block. Nothing else.

The gate is not the problem. It noises so much, that the gate cannot close proberly,
The actual amp sound is only a bit louder.

It is possible that it is the guitar, but it doesn't noise like this on my real amp.

There is always noise gate on the input grid (just as there is a mixer on the output) by default on all patches - have you looked at it's configuration? Did you try the classic vs. intelligent modes?

Well I've been saying that since my Ultra v4 days the gate to me is useless. Even sat with Matt to improve on this. But it has to do with the nature of the beast which is high gain increases noise... And especially with EMGs those are way noisy especially 81s.

I produced this metal album where the guitar player did a bunch of "sustained" mutes. And the gate completely destroyed the take.
I checked his go to Pod XTLive patch and no issue there. Then I looked at my patch I had him use, that's after using every gate or expander I could find... And figured there's a way to make this right.
For me it was a mate of lowering gain without having the perception of lesser gain.
That's where dynamic eq can't in. Without it it was kinda liveries with it I could get 800s to go where I needed then without boost.

As a side note the noise to me is only an issue -usually- between notes. I remember Paul Gilbert saying that his ODs into amps made such a ruckus it was unreal, but during the notes he didn't mind.
Anyways other than the "sustained" mutes a transient shaper will take care of the rest. As in the scritchy tail off gated notes.

Reactions: Rex
This is so often the case. Beyond a certain point, adding gain does nothing for your tone; it just increases your problems.
It's like the craziness of double, triple, quad tracking the same part. It ends up a phase incoherent mess. I call BS on it sounds bigger.

I mean double hard left and right with different guitars and not identical guitars... Sure. Anything beyond...silliness.
It's like guys that split their grid into two grids and have one with and one without a drive in front and never even consider that offset between the grid might be weird.
One of the reasons I don't use the expander too.

Come to think of it I wonder if there's a phase difference between a say JMP and a Recto. @FractalAudio Cliff... Does the phase stay constant going through any amp model it does it change the same as in real life where adding a triode half flips?

Come to think of it I wonder if there's a phase difference between a say JMP and a Recto. @FractalAudio Cliff... Does the phase stay constant going through any amp model it does it change the same as in real life where adding a triode half flips?

All amp models have the same polarity so that you can mix them without weirdness.

I mean double hard left and right with different guitars and not identical guitars... Sure.

Yes, those are the kind of things you realize as the years go by...2 tracks panned hard avoids the phase nightmare and let your brain makes the sum...different guitars on each side gives you more complexity even if you use the same preset.
I play a SG special with dimarzio superdistortion on the left side (low mids emphasis) and the ESP Horizon with Duncan JB on the right side (high mids emphasis).
Both have hot passive humbuckers and I play in bridge position mainly but the tone is slightly different and the resulting mix is nice and punchy.

Last edited:
Yes, those are the kind of things you realize as the years go by...different guitars on each side gives you more complexity even if you use the same preset.
I play a SG special with dimarzio superdistortion on the left side (low mids emphasis) and the ESP Horizon with Duncan JB on the right side (high mids emphasis).
Both have hot passive humbuckers and I play in bridge position mainly but the resulting tone is slighty different and your brain makes the sum
Ideally you use two different amps/Sims too...

hmmm...this is a matter of taste, creativity is not a right/wrong quiz...hahaha! Is wise to observe what demands each concrete song, his vibe, but mainly...for hard rock I use 2 different amps on each side, but for metal rhythm tracks I don't want 2 completely different sounds on each side, I like to use the same preset/amp/cab because the result is more dense and uniform, swapping guitars gives me this pinch of salt...for the soloism I use other tone.

But I have not reached the goal yet, always learning, always growing!!

Last edited:
hmmm...this is a matter of taste, creativity is not a right/wrong quiz...hahaha! Is wise to observe what demands each concrete song, his vibe, but mainly...for hard rock I use 2 different amps on each side, but for metal rhythm tracks I don't want 2 completely different sounds on each side, I like to use the same preset/amp/cab because the result is more dense and uniform, swapping guitars gives me this pinch of salt...for the soloism I use other tone.
Sure... Whatever rocks your joint.
Not a taste but physics matter.
I didn't say different tones. Point is similar tones that aren't identical. Otherwise it'll have the same effect as chorus those amps.

Back
Top Bottom