AxePad - iPad controller for Axe-FX is launched!

No worries. We pretty much all know how the Apple machine works when it comes to waiting for apps to be approved. :)

I just picked up the Camera Connection Kit for when the new app is approved. Thanks for the hard work!

-Steve

Confused, i still see that app is available on the app store. So, does this mean the current download won't work with the camera connection kit?

Confused, i still see that app is available on the app store. So, does this mean the current download won't work with the camera connection kit?

The original v1.00 is still on the store. It WILL work with the Camera Connection Kit - as long as you then use a USB -> MIDI cable to plug into the MIDI ports on the back of the Axe-FX. I use the CC kit with an Alesis USB MIDI cable regularly.

The new 1.01 patch, which is awaiting the issues at Apple in order to upload, will work with the Camera Connection Kit and a standard USB cable to plug into the USB port on the back of the Axe-FX II (not the Standard/Ultra obviously).

So, in a nutshell, the Camera Connection Kit will work with both versions of AxePad - it just depends on the cable you are plugging into the Camera Connection Kit. At present, if you only have a plain USB cable, then standby until 1.01 hits the store - which will naturally be a free upgrade to 1.00 users...

I never did get it to work with my USB to MIDI cable, but using a network connection (wireless) it communicates fine. I get the crash immediately when selecting presets, so I'll be waiting for 1.1 as well. With the direct USB connection I'm not going to worry about the USB MIDI cable, even though it works fine with other apps.

Lemur has had problems that appear to be timing-related with receiving sysex messages as well. I haven't checked in lately to see if any progress has been made with that yet.

Edit: from posts on the Lemur forum, it appears that there are timing issues related to different MIDI adapters. That may be a clue as to why my USB to MIDI connector doesn't work. Perhaps, in combination with the iPad 2, it is just too fast.

Last edited:
I never did get it to work with my USB to MIDI cable, but using a network connection (wireless) it communicates fine. I get the crash immediately when selecting presets, so I'll be waiting for 1.1 as well. With the direct USB connection I'm not going to worry about the USB MIDI cable, even though it works fine with other apps.

Lemur has had problems that appear to be timing-related with receiving sysex messages as well. I haven't checked in lately to see if any progress has been made with that yet.

Edit: from posts on the Lemur forum, it appears that there are timing issues related to different MIDI adapters. That may be a clue as to why my USB to MIDI connector doesn't work. Perhaps, in combination with the iPad 2, it is just too fast.
I'm still waiting for the Lemur version that handles incoming sysex correctly. According to my tests, Lemur prefers to receive the sysex message in one quick burst of USB activity. In this case, faster = better.

DAMN and BLAST!!!

I just realised that I have confused myself, and in the process, led everyone astray regarding the USB connectivity of the iPad and the Axe-FX II !!

Early investigations showed me that the USB port on the Axe-FX II will not be recognised as a MIDI port by any device without the special driver from Fractal Audio. However, when I was testing v1.01 with the modifications to the MIDI routines and plugged my Axe-FX II in, VOILA! AxePad recognised it and I could talk to it beautifully.

What I've realised now, is that the Axe-II was initially plugged into my MacBook, with the Fractal driver, so it had already initialised the USB port on the Axe-II. Unplugging from the Axe-II and into the iPad meant that things would still work.

However, when I powered up the Axe-II from scratch and plugged it into my iPad - the iPad OS itself came up and told me that the USB connection was not valid.

If I unplugged the USB cable from the iPad, plugged it into my MacBook for a couple of seconds, then replugged it back into my iPad, then it WORKED!

Obviously the initialisation code that prepares the USB port on the Axe-II runs on initial connection. And because we cannot install 3rd party drivers on the iPad, it doesn't look like it will work unless Fractal joins up the Apple MIF program and gets the Axe-FX II approved as an iPad connectable device.

Seeing as that most people won't be carting a laptop to a gig with the Axe-FX as well as the iPad, it looks like this will not work as I intended... (I'd like to type a very rude word here, but suspect the forum filter won't like it!).

So, I am sorry everyone! My initial excitement at seeing the USB connection working on the iPad was premature it seems... :(

Understood. Keep up the good work and research though. In the future it would be good idea to beta test more thoroughly and test from a larger selection of a Beta pool. I understand the initial pool might be relatively small. You don't want to give it away to ALL potential buyers! But I can't wait for the main bugs to be worked out! Looking forward to using it!

No worries I just got the app & apple cam kit yesterday. I'll order up a USB to midi cable today.... Any advice on which to buy?

I was just thinking is there no way to add the drivers as part if your app? So when you get the app it comes with drivers in it?

I thinking something that would only work for this app kind like hidden in the code or something. I don't know if it possible but worth exploring

Got my iPad 3rd gen 64/4LTE yesterday. wonderful machine.
PLEASE ADVISE AS TO IPAD 3RD GEN COMPATIBILITY???

Well it's not even quite iPad2 compatible yet. So I'd doubt it.

I don't think that's quite true. My understanding is that only a percentage of iPad 2 users are experiencing difficulties. Unfortunately, I am among them, and I am trying to be patient while Apple clears the update for release.

I don't think that's quite true. My understanding is that only a percentage of iPad 2 users are experiencing difficulties. Unfortunately, I am among them, and I am trying to be patient while Apple clears the update for release.
Which means it's not quite compatible. It has a bug that is not compatible with certain iPad 2s. That's exactly why I said "not QUITE iPad2 compatible yet."

I was just thinking is there no way to add the drivers as part if your app? So when you get the app it comes with drivers in it?

I THINK 3rd party developers cannot add drivers to the iPad.

I thinking something that would only work for this app kind like hidden in the code or something. I don't know if it possible but worth exploring

brokenvail, Henry is correct - App developers cannot add drivers to the iPad, UNLESS they are a hardware manufacturer and apply to be a part of the Apple MFI program. Then you can have limited ability to either add drivers to the iPad when you hardware is plugged in, or else Apple will include drivers for connecting your hardware in future version of iOS.

Because I don't actually manufacture the Axe-FX, I cannot apply to be a part of the Apple MIF program. I've asked Fractal in another thread if this is in their plans, but haven't heard back - no doubt the guys are busy with the Firmware 6.0 development and release.

Got my iPad 3rd gen 64/4LTE yesterday. wonderful machine.
PLEASE ADVISE AS TO IPAD 3RD GEN COMPATIBILITY???

Technically it SHOULD work. I know the screen is a different resolution so the app will appear a little smaller, or autoscale to fit, but I am hesitant to say that it WILL work given the issues with some of the iPad2's we have experienced.

I won't be getting my iPad3 for another month or so at least, so would appreciate if anyone who has got it running on the iPad3 can chime in to let me know...

Back
Top Bottom