AxeFx 2 Does Hotel California Solo Harmonies VIDEO

That would be one way, but even without scenes it's possible to do this in 1 preset. I've set it up on the Ultra using 2 CC switches as Ext Ctrls. Here's a chart showing which custom shift (of 4 total) is active and the state of the 2 LEDs to get that. Top part played, cue-size part is the generated harmony.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7315/hotelcalipg5.png

And the preset, if you want to check it out w/ Axe-Edit in Ultra mode.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28651/axefx/Hotel CA end arps.syx

The switches are Externals 3 & 4, controlling both pitch blocks' balance & bypass. Switch #9 on my controller is External 7, which can mute the harmony at the end. Also, the scales labeled 1-4 in the chart ended up being 5-8 in the preset.

Bakerman, this was AWESOME. Using just 1 patch for all the harmonys is fantastic. This method has me thinking about how to incorporate ext controllers and panning for other items. Thanks for the insight.

Can't believe BMG has rights to you sharing how to get a harmony patch that is your interpretation, to share. Are they now going to charge royalties for us watching shared videos?

That would be one way, but even without scenes it's possible to do this in 1 preset. I've set it up on the Ultra using 2 CC switches as Ext Ctrls. Here's a chart showing which custom shift (of 4 total) is active and the state of the 2 LEDs to get that. Top part played, cue-size part is the generated harmony.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7315/hotelcalipg5.png

And the preset, if you want to check it out w/ Axe-Edit in Ultra mode.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28651/axefx/Hotel CA end arps.syx

The switches are Externals 3 & 4, controlling both pitch blocks' balance & bypass. Switch #9 on my controller is External 7, which can mute the harmony at the end. Also, the scales labeled 1-4 in the chart ended up being 5-8 in the preset.

Hi Guys, wonder can you help me and please excuse my stupidity, I'm using AXE FX II But I just can't seem to get any of these loaded Bakerman's or Marks... are they loaded from Midi-Ox or Axe edit and how are they loaded as they don't seem to be patches
I'm very new to Axe Fx Any help would be appreciated

Here's a version of the Hotel California main solo. All the harmonies are in realtime using the Custom scales in the pitch block. I used 6 different scales in 4 presets. The arpeggios at the end are utilizing the x/y of two presets. The first preset in the solo is using the phaser and 1 harmony. You can switch these a million different ways using miss and the MFC101. I set my MFC basically for default settings except I programmed my Trem I/A as the Pitch X/Y. So if you watch the video it shows where to do the changes. I was able to easily do the changes with the foot controller however because it is hard enough to make a video and play I decided to use Logic to do all the changes (X/Y, program changes and bypass/on states) for me.

Of course it's not perfect. I didn't even listen to the originals while programming the custom scales(in the Global Menu) so there are bound to be mistakes. No need to tell me my intervals are incorrect. I am incorrect a lot, just ask my wife :)

Have fun with it...it's a blast!

Custom Scale 1 (First 2 arpeggios at end of solo)
A#= -4
B= -5
C#= -3
D= -3
E= -3
F#= -4

Custom Scale 2 (Arpeggio 3 and 4 at end of solo)
E= -3
C#= -4
A= -5
D= -3
B= -3
G#= -4

Custom Scale 3 (Arpeggio 5 and 6 at end of solo)
D= -3
B= -4
G= -3
D= -3
A= -3
F#= -4

Custom Scale 4 (Arpeggio 7 and 8 at end of solo)
B= -4
G= -3
E= -3
C#= -3
A#= -4
F#= -5

Custom Scale 5 (first harmony lick in solo)
F= -4(part of bend)
F#= -4
E= -3
D= -3
A= -3
A#= -2 (bend)
B= -2

Custom Scale 6 (last harmony before Arpeggios)
A#= -4
B= -4
F#= -4
All others =-3. I’m not sure which notes matter but set it up like this J

Hi Mark, Great sound and great playing, wonder can you help me and please excuse my stupidity, I'm using AXE FX II But I just can't seem to get any of these loaded.. are they loaded from Midi-Ox or Axe edit and how are they loaded as they don't seem to be patches
I'm very new to Axe Fx Any help would be appreciated

I'm not Mark by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe I can help. The files attached in the OP are the presets needed; load these into your Axe using Fractal-Bot or Axe-Manage. The scales have to be manually entered into the custom scales in the global menu. Then choose the appropriate custom scale for the pitch block in each preset. If a moron like me can do it... :)

Hi Kfliegner, thanks for the reply... when i try sending the file with Fractal Bot it say it does not appear to be a valid file for Axe FX II ? I have sent patches accross with Axe Edit with no problem just seems to be a problem with the Hotel California same when i send them across with Midi-OX nothing happens

Hey Mark:

I'm learning this solo (finally memorized all the notes for Don Felder + Joe Walsh parts and am now struggling to play a smooth rendition).

Anyway - I got the .syx files you posted but I can't play the video which says "private video".

Would it be possible to view that video again as I'd like to see if the version you are playing resembles the way I'm learning it.

Unfortunately YouTube has removed the audio because someone from the Eagles camp thought there was copyright violation. I made the video private otherwise I would be inundated with questions why there was no more audio.

Sorry guys not my fault.

hmmm bummer - thanks for the reply Mark - I've certainly noticed, while noodling with this song, that they are really aggressive in silencing covers or parts of it on youtube. I think you can take the silencing of your clip as a compliment to your skills in playing it to a level that somehow threatened the Eagles money making machine!!

On another note - I was intrigued by the point vAmp raised earlier in this thread about the bend that Joe W. does in one of his parts where he bends the 1st/2nd string up with 1st ringing / 2nd silent, then, on the way down, has the 2nd string ringing and 1st string silent. I am really struggling to get this part down (see 9:50 in this lesson video). I wanted to see how you did this part since after countless times trying to do that "double picked double bend" (or whatever it's called), I end up with some nastyness or other (usually can't hang on to the 1st string coming down, or can't grab the 2nd string properly going up). Interestingly though, I was watching this video (see 5:00) yesterday of an Eagles performance where, Joe Walsh, if I'm not mistaken seems to have a bit of a hiccup on that same bend manouver - so now I don't feel so bad about not being able to do it - lol!

I am interested in how the preset is assembled.

Mark is a pro and I alway's learn something when I look at his builds. THANKS MARK :encouragement:

the eagles can keep their stuff.:chargrined:

Back
Top Bottom