AxeFx 2 Does Hotel California Solo Harmonies VIDEO

Hehe this thread is funny.

Nice harmonies! There's 1 harmony note that's off in the last chord (V) but people can fix it on their own.... If they can tell haha

Great as always mark.

"Geez", wasn't that obvious? If there was I could go on and on (seriously).
Mark has proven good taste in a lot of his vids, as well as good enough ears to figure out some cool things.
Therefore it was really surprising to see a tradeMark lick of this solo played way differently, and I wanted to give back for all his efforts, because it's a very cool lick! You're interested in guitar, or you're not...
I'm happy you didn't analyse that solo... :eek:ops

I to am happy I did not anallyse the solo, I don't analyze solo's I enjoy and listen to music.

"Geez", wasn't that obvious? If there was I could go on and on (seriously).
Mark has proven good taste in a lot of his vids, as well as good enough ears to figure out some cool things.
Therefore it was really surprising to see a tradeMark lick of this solo played way differently, and I wanted to give back for all his efforts, because it's a very cool lick! You're interested in guitar, or you're not...
I'm happy you didn't analyse that solo... :eek:ops
Sorry, not buying it. I've analyzed a lot of human behavior, and you are definitely in denial here. Normally I wouldn't criticize like this in a public forum, but I wanted to give something back for all of your contributions. :twisted

Sounded damn good to me. I think Mark's version is better than the original and maybe the eagles should have played it that way, but they screwed up and played it incorrectly. :D

Here's my dumb question for today (or at least this afternoon): do I need to program in the custom scales or did that happen when I imported the presets? IOW, I imported the presets and created a MIDI track in Logic to instruct the Axe to make the appropriate changes at the appropriate times as you demonstrated; so--leaving aside the...er...modest differences in playing ability--should I expect the same result in terms of the harmonies? Or do I need to make use of the detailed custom scale information you provided? (I ask because I'm not convinced it sounds correct in my system.)

Thanks

Here's my dumb question for today (or at least this afternoon): do I need to program in the custom scales or did that happen when I imported the presets? IOW, I imported the presets and created a MIDI track in Logic to instruct the Axe to make the appropriate changes at the appropriate times as you demonstrated; so--leaving aside the...er...modest differences in playing ability--should I expect the same result in terms of the harmonies? Or do I need to make use of the detailed custom scale information you provided? (I ask because I'm not convinced it sounds correct in my system.)

Thanks

Yes you have to set up the custom scales and in the same order for the presets to work properly :)

Mark

Wow, I can't believe someone is even talking about Marks playing ability. The guy is so good at building rigs and doing demos it's his full time job!

When you get a job at Tone Merchants, building rigs, creating tones, and doing demos, you can comment but until then, in the immortal words of Ludacris, Blow it out ya' a$$!!!

Hahaha!!! I bet no one saw that coming from me... ;-)

Wow, I can't believe someone is even talking about Marks playing ability. The guy is so good at building rigs and doing demos it's his full time job!

When you get a job at Tone Merchants, building rigs, creating tones, and doing demos, you can comment but until then, in the immortal words of Ludacris, Blow it out ya' a$$!!!

Hahaha!!! I bet no one saw that coming from me... ;-)

If you're referring to me, you will (or should) be embarrassed to realize that it was MY playing ability--not his--that I was sardonically criticizing; in fact, the difference is anything but modest :). Interesting that you would be more likely to find fault than humor in a fellow forum member.

To a more salient (housekeeping) point, now that I'm loading these custom scales, I noticed something I'm wondering about. In your OP, Mark, under Custom scale 3, you list "D = -3" twice. Is one mislabeled, or simply an unnecessary duplicate (I regret that my limited music theory knowledge prevents me from answering the question myself)?

kfliegner said:
If you're referring to me, you will (or should) be embarrassed to realize that it was MY playing ability--not his--that I was sardonically criticizing; in fact, the difference is anything but modest :). Interesting that you would be more likely to find fault than humor in a fellow forum member.

To a more salient (housekeeping) point, now that I'm loading these custom scales, I noticed something I'm wondering about. In your OP, Mark, under Custom scale 3, you list "D = -3" twice. Is one mislabeled, or simply an unnecessary duplicate (I regret that my limited music theory knowledge prevents me from answering the question myself)?

Nope, it wasn't you my friend, it was at the very beginning of this post.

Hi Mark!

Thanks (as always) for sharing with us!
Love your work!

I've played this song live using the Axe-FX II, creating 5 patches for the end solo (arpeggios) alone...
I actually found that I had to split the Arpeggio 5 and 6 like this:

Arpeggio 5:
D - 3
B - 4
G - 5

Apeggio 6:
D - 5
A - 3
F# - 4

The rest of the custom scales for the end part look like yours do.

Now I played the Don Felder part (lowest) - but redid the math to fit the custom scales you are using! :)
I will look into setting up X/Y switching on my presets..

Thanks again for sharing, and keep up the good work! :)

hey just curious with the 'scenes' added does that make it easier to do the harmonies? (all in one patch?)

hey just curious with the 'scenes' added does that make it easier to do the harmonies? (all in one patch?)

That would be one way, but even without scenes it's possible to do this in 1 preset. I've set it up on the Ultra using 2 CC switches as Ext Ctrls. Here's a chart showing which custom shift (of 4 total) is active and the state of the 2 LEDs to get that. Top part played, cue-size part is the generated harmony.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7315/hotelcalipg5.png

And the preset, if you want to check it out w/ Axe-Edit in Ultra mode.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28651/axefx/Hotel CA end arps.syx

The switches are Externals 3 & 4, controlling both pitch blocks' balance & bypass. Switch #9 on my controller is External 7, which can mute the harmony at the end. Also, the scales labeled 1-4 in the chart ended up being 5-8 in the preset.

Back
Top Bottom