Axe II V.6 delay question. 2290 and multi head

csgband

Inspired
Hello, do any of you have any samples of these two delays 2290 and multi head (Space Echo).
Do you think that Axe II V.6 delay can do these well?
Thanks, chris

If The Edge has acquired 3(?) Axe-FX II's, what do you think? ;)
But no, the 2290 is not 100% the same.

I thought it was more like 8 (well, maybe not just for the Edge in one location but distributed around).

There was a thread not too long ago about the 2290. Do a search. There were a few different conclusions. Some users that had the 2290 and the AxeFX said they definitely don't sound the same and preferred the 2290. Others said it sounds different but not better or worse. I was going to pick up a 2290 to make my own determination but I've been distracted by 6.0, various guitars (which = new sound), and some other gear. I may opt for the ignorance is bliss path since I'm getting pretty good delay sounds without getting a 2290. One caveat is that the delay curve is not adjustable and leads to much angst. Some users are opting for alternate solutions to address this such as using the multi-tap delay instead of the digital delay set to 2290 or running in parallel which can change the perception of the delay curve. I also use the ducking, diffusion, and more complicated routes to effectively change the curve.

As for the Space Echo, I've never played through one so I'm not sure. The Axe does have really good analog tape delays. It may take some work to get exactly what you want. I'm pretty impressed with it.

I thought it was more like 8 (well, maybe not just for the Edge in one location but distributed around).

There was a thread not too long ago about the 2290. Do a search. There were a few different conclusions. Some users that had the 2290 and the AxeFX said they definitely don't sound the same and preferred the 2290. Others said it sounds different but not better or worse. I was going to pick up a 2290 to make my own determination but I've been distracted by 6.0, various guitars (which = new sound), and some other gear. I may opt for the ignorance is bliss path since I'm getting pretty good delay sounds without getting a 2290. One caveat is that the delay curve is not adjustable and leads to much angst. Some users are opting for alternate solutions to address this such as using the multi-tap delay instead of the digital delay set to 2290 or running in parallel which can change the perception of the delay curve. I also use the ducking, diffusion, and more complicated routes to effectively change the curve.

As for the Space Echo, I've never played through one so I'm not sure. The Axe does have really good analog tape delays. It may take some work to get exactly what you want. I'm pretty impressed with it.

I should pull out my space echo and see. I haven't used it for awhile.

Ive been asking similar question here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/48541-axe-fx-vs-tc-electronic-2290-a.html and theres a decent information in this thread.

One caveat is that the delay curve is not adjustable and leads to much angst.

I'm assuming by "delay curve" you mean the relative level of the individual repeats. No "classic" delay has any control over the "curve". It's a simple feedback system where each echo is some multiple of the previous, i.e. if feedback is 25% then each echo has 25% the amplitude of the previous. This is known as exponential decay.

If you desire precise control of the individual echo amplitudes, then the Ten-Tap mode in the Multidelay is what you want. With this mode you can precisely control the amplitudes of each echo.

I will definitely try out the 10 tap delay. Hadn't explored that too much. I had an old re-201 back in the day. It was a noisy mess but a lot of fun. I'm still working on getting my tape delay sounds in the Axe 2 to where that was, but I think I'm getting closer. I love the delays in the axe.

No "classic" delay has any control over the "curve"
If you desire precise control of the individual echo amplitudes...

I know the curve is not selectable on other units. But the complaint came up a few times in that the curve does not sound the same on the 2290. It might be more accurate for the axes digital delay with 2290 settings also changed the curve to effectively match the 2290. Note that i realize that the 2290's curve is probably "coded" as an exponential decay but something else is affecting it. Do you have a 2290?

In any case, as I noted in my post I agreed that the tapped delays could be used for this purpose. I haven't gone that route and have opted to use the ducking and diffusion instead and I like it. So thanks for allowing so many options.

Did you, in fact, mean what Cliff thought you meant when you used the term "delay curve" in your post?
Yes. The part I left out was that the 2290 does not (according to owners) decay like the axe. So either the 2290's curve is not exponential or something is affecting the tone to psycho-acoustically make it sound different. I'm reflecting what 2290 owners say and personally believe it but have other ways to make the delays sound better.

It could be that the 2290 has a real high bit rate witch makes the delays very pristine. If the bit rate on the Axe-Fx II digital delays could be increased it might get closer. I'd rather have a higher digital quality of delay signal vs the longer delay time. Instead of getting a 8 second delay "x" bit resolution, have 4 seconds at much higher bit rate. This is my assumption of what could make it closer and is not truly an educated guess. Only Cliff knows the what's inside that delay algorithm. I'm all for getting it as close as possible (especially the mod section of the 2290.).

Back
Top Bottom