AXE-FX IV - WISH List

They have the axe fx III turbo, do you think that could be the last one?

Oh, no: there'll be:
  • Axe-FX III MKII Turbo XL
  • Axe-FX III MKII Turbo XL+
  • Axe-FX III MKIII
  • Axe-FX III MKIII Mega
  • Axe-FX III MKIII Super-Mega
  • Axe-FX III MKIV Almighty
And THEN the IV

(And I will f*cking buy every one)

You think the new cab gui would be offered on the current platform? I suppose it might be possible, but it seems far more likely to me that would at the very least require more storage for the new IRs, and thus a new Axe-FX model. Maybe a new kind of Axe-FX III, but when he mentioned he's working on that, I assumed he meant that's coming on the Axe-FX IV.
To me that's what Fractal Audio's message implies. If they have been working on it for the past 6 months, I would assume it would come to replace the current system on the current products. It's a case of "all our competition has this sort of thing, users prefer it so let's also offer it".

Line6 guys have said they took the time to figure out how many IRs they need for blending to be unaffected. Line6 Helix by default only has space for 128 user IRs and who knows how many factory IRs. They still managed to fit their new cab sim system there. Fractal should have no problem with this.

What I expect will happen is that Fractal will ditch any factory cabs made with 3rd party IRs, put them in the legacy bank or make them downloadable as user IRs. You can see which vendors made which IRs here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

I would figure that any cab sim would be more a matter of software, and an increase in RAM and CPU load, and have little to do with the storage. The whole idea is that instead of using these pre-generated waveforms, you're processing the audio on the fly through a simulation of the cab.

Even if it was a pre-generated one, and stored, it could still take up a single "scratch" spot while using it. It would be more efficient, as even if you saved cab sim settings, you're saving some data to recreate the sim rather than the data from the sim.

I would figure that any cab sim would be more a matter of software, and an increase in RAM and CPU load, and have little to do with the storage. The whole idea is that instead of using these pre-generated waveforms, you're processing the audio on the fly through a simulation of the cab.

Even if it was a pre-generated one, and stored, it could still take up a single "scratch" spot while using it. It would be more efficient, as even if you saved cab sim settings, you're saving some data to recreate the sim rather than the data from the sim.

The issue is FAS is creating many new IRs for the new cab GUI feature. Where would you put them? Laxu suggested removing many of the existing factory IRs to make room for the new ones, but that would break existing presets, especially since IR's are referenced by slot numbers. That means you can't simply remove a bunch of IRs and rearrange the remaining ones to make room for the new ones. That makes it sound to me like the cab GUI feature will appear on the Axe-FX IV, or at the very least, a new Axe-FX III Extra Memory model. But that's just a guess.

The issue is FAS is creating many new IRs for the new cab GUI feature. Where would you put them? Laxu suggested removing many of the existing factory IRs to make room for the new ones, but that would break existing presets, especially since IR's are referenced by slot numbers. That means you can't simply remove a bunch of IRs and rearrange the remaining ones to make room for the new ones.
Back when, during a discussion about ways to tie IRs to presets and improve the Cab picker, Cliff made some comments about ways to use hashes or CRC to uniquely identify the files.

I suspect a next-gen device would do something smarter than simply pointing to an indexed slot. Updating that mechanism wouldn't be hard for Edit, or the firmware, and a new hardware generation is a logical point to make the change.

I’d love for the foot controllers to have a guitar input so I don’t have to worry about super long 1/4” cables or wireless stuff. Two inputs, really, in case I want to run a stereo thing in front or have a piezo pickup or whatever.

Reiterating the wish for Thunderbolt 3/4. Even if it's only an option for an add-in card like on the older UA Apollo series that would be great.

To me that's what Fractal Audio's message implies. If they have been working on it for the past 6 months, I would assume it would come to replace the current system on the current products. It's a case of "all our competition has this sort of thing, users prefer it so let's also offer it".

Line6 guys have said they took the time to figure out how many IRs they need for blending to be unaffected. Line6 Helix by default only has space for 128 user IRs and who knows how many factory IRs. They still managed to fit their new cab sim system there. Fractal should have no problem with this.

What I expect will happen is that Fractal will ditch any factory cabs made with 3rd party IRs, put them in the legacy bank or make them downloadable as user IRs. You can see which vendors made which IRs here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

Fractal loves to be hardware centric, but this feature could be more easily implemented in Axe Edit. All the giant IR files could reside on the PC and only the mixed down results sent to the Axe FX.

But I also wouldn't mind pretty much all of the current factory IRs to be dumped and redone.

Fractal loves to be hardware centric, but this feature could be more easily implemented in Axe Edit. All the giant IR files could reside on the PC and only the mixed down results sent to the Axe FX.

But I also wouldn't mind pretty much all of the current factory IRs to be dumped and redone.
You are not wrong but I do hate it as an idea. There's already some features that are only possible via Axe-Edit and putting something major like cab sim setup behind it is just not great.

Discaimer:
IIRC it was mentioned that the Axe-FX III's development started around 2013-2014 so, it was about 4 to 5 years prior it's release. I don't know if it will be in 3, 5 or 10 years when the ever-hypothetical AXE-FX IV will be announced, but one thing's sure: FAS is always in R&D mode. Anyways, this thread isn't about speculation about WHEN or IF it will be released, so please let's not go there.

Having said that, the purpose of this thread is to list any kind of wish you have for a new unit, meaning, something that (given or our understanding) cant't be done on this current hardware generation. What I love about FAS is that they listen to their customers, so who knows? maybe your wish get's granted.

I'll start:

-Variable sample rate instead of fixed at 48 kHz
-USB C or Thunderbolt interface
-With a reworked audio interface, I ABSOLUTELY WOULD LOVE to create multiple sends from my DAW to the AXE (With current hardware you have 8 I/O via USB 2 protocol) to digitally integrate as much effects as possible into a multitrack mixing process, even the possibility of a MADI/DANTE expansion card seems like a dream.
-A DAW or MIX mode where you can unlock as many instances of an FX Block (except Amp/Cab) as long as there's CPU juice. As well as for integration with the aforementioned management of expanded I/O.
-1 or 2 XLR inputs with integrated Mic Preamps/Phantom power
- NO touchscreen, please
-USB port for uploading/creating backups, presets, setlist, wireless dongle for editing (I know, WIFI/Bluetooth capability could be wished for as well, just not my priority), etc...
- Audio player block so you can run Backing Tracks from a USB drive. You can control it like the Looper block and route it to any Output you'd want.

This one's special, maybe it could be done with the Axe FX III but I don't know, so no harm in putting it in here:

- If Cliff ever gets inclined to do so: FAS's take on Profiling/Capture

Maybe a future Axe-FX could run 4 or more amps at once, but it's been in my mind, why not having a Profile/Capture block with your favorite take and run it in parallel with the amp models? If your favorite amp (coughPEAVEYJSXcough ;)) isn't modeled by then, the option to run the utility to capture it and pair it with the Axe's plethora of amps & effects would be awesome.

Your turn.
In addition to that:
  • Network interface(s) for AVB or at least ADAT I/O
  • More flexibility with Control Switches (instead of 6 "global" CS at least 6 CS per preset or even per scene)

Back when, during a discussion about ways to tie IRs to presets and improve the Cab picker, Cliff made some comments about ways to use hashes or CRC to uniquely identify the files.

I suspect a next-gen device would do something smarter than simply pointing to an indexed slot. Updating that mechanism wouldn't be hard for Edit, or the firmware, and a new hardware generation is a logical point to make the change.
Referencing to source instead of hard pinpointing would be awesome... indeed it won't matter what slot is used. Adding new cabs and rearranging existing wont effect anything.
Yes please

Cheers 🍻

I don't know if it's possible, I would say no.
The Quantam leap will be too expensive.
Expensive to a point where you couldn't sell enough of them.
They’d have to commit to becoming a formidable pro audio company with an interface that can be used by most producers. Not sure they’d want to do that.

Let’s say for arguments sake they made a 4 mic pre, 8 IO with 8 more ADAT AxeFXIV to a better than average quality. A UA X8 is currently 2700 bucks. Now bake in all the FX and amps, add at least another 1500. You’re at 4200 bucks. You’d have an amazing piece of gear for a guitarist you’d not outgrow quickly, but it’s steep and out of range for a modeler. IMO keep it basic, because basic works for many end users. We have many ways already to incorporate the FAS stuff into a good desk. Make the basic interface capabilities a little more robust with better metering, a little more flexibility maybe and more solid in the AxeFXIV and you have another winner.

I don't know if it's possible, I would say no.
The Quantam leap will be too expensive.
Expensive to a point where you couldn't sell enough of them.
At some point, the DSP and other component manufacturers will move on to newer/better/faster stuff and FAS will have to release an "AxeFX 3 mk3 Ultra Mega Turbo" or something just so they'll be able to continue making their products. Once that's done, there's no reason not to take advantage of the faster hardware (even if it's just to simplify things and reduce cost).

Hire a good UX designer before actually building out the device. People keep saying touch screen imo the issue isn't touch but it's the unintuitive controls. The existing front panel feels like it was designed by an engineer with function over form and it only makes sense if you've taken the time to learn it. A UX expert (or whatever the equivalent for hardware is) would be able to simplify or completely rework the flow of the current interface to be less cluttered albeit at the cost of a loss of familiarity for users of the old system

You quoted the wrong post, but my question is "how do you save an edited preset to a different preset location without taking a snapshot and then dropping it elsewhere" something instantaneous, where you can re-name the Preset, and then "Save to Preset location #XXX"
I've started with and mangled many a Preset to something completely different, but would not have arrived there without that preset foundation.
Anyway, by having that capability you're not overwriting the preset you started with. Something important to me. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great. I don't see it in the manual.

Back
Top Bottom