AXE-FX IV - WISH List

Does anyone really expect an axe IV in 2023?
Considering the rate of firmware releases and the leaps in sound quality we've seen just this year, I don't see much need. MAYBE we'll see something once supplies of components stabilize and there are some major improvements in DSP speed.

Do you think a facelift will happen in 2023? I’m interested to see what they’ll do.
I don't because it'd have to be across the board:

"The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products. The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four. All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure. This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation." [1]

It was 7 years between the II and the III. Next year will be 5 years since the III was announced. OTOH, the competitive environment is a bit more challenging now than back in 2018, so there might be more pressure this time around to come out with something soon. While there are plenty of important new features that could be delivered in firmware updates or Axe-Edit updates (Cab GUI, IR references that don't depend on slot number, preset browser, save preset to DAW track, midi control over performance controls), there are some important features what would probably require a new generation of hardware:

• Bluetooth (for mobile device editor and wireless foot controllers)
  • Input clipping indicator
  • Mic pre with phantom power
  • Send midi clock
  • MIDI from USB to DIN
  • Selectable output sample rate
  • Attach notes to preset
  • Number of blocks of each type limited only by available cpu
  • USB port for thumb drive containing presets
  • I/O routing matrix

Last edited:
I've already stated my wish: Crossfading channel changes in blocks, plus crossfading wet/dry signal paths when blocks are toggled on/off. Use a crossfade time set by the user (optionally synced to tempo) and every live tone-change can sound like a nice, musical transition instead of an abrupt chopping-off of sustained notes.

That's my #1 wish for the Axe IV, because, hey, abrupt timbre changes are often pretty ugly.

BUT...!

My #2 would be "Roll-Your-Own-Complex-Signal-Path Custom Blocks."

There are lots of stompboxes out nowadays which do absurdly complex things to the signal. (Any Eventide algorithm, of course, plus things like the Rainbow Machine. And the FreqOut deserves a call-out.) Some of these things can, of course, be duplicated in the Axe FX III, and those that can't be duplicated can at least be roughly-simulated. But usually that means a pretty complex signal path in the grid, with feedbacks and parallel signal paths and whatnot.

That's fine, but to really kick it up a notch, the Axe FX IV could allow you to encapsulate all that signal logic into a single block on the grid. The more complex it was, the higher the CPU-usage, naturally, but the convenience of simply dropping it into place, with its own on/off/bypass toggle, would make life a lot easier.

One could use a special software block-designer to edit the custom block, and then store it into one of several custom block slots in the Axe FX IV.

This feels like the "killer app" because it would be leveraging the creativity (and great ears) of the community, who could exchange their custom-designed blocks and exchange them.

All the great sounding presets I use are under 70% CPU, 50% average, the HW is already at a pro level, the user interfaces are great (sorry if someone gets offended by that) … I honestly do not know how it could be substantially better for the average human being.

I would bet, if I was a betting man, which I'm not. They are always working on their next thing... I bet its sitting on Cliffs, kitchen table as we speak. His wife hears the usual, look what I built, pretty cool isn't it...:)

Modular memory upgrades or the ability to load presets and IR files from USB into local Fractal memory.

They have the axe fx III turbo, do you think that could be the last one?
No. As I said, I think there's probably 1 more incremental rev of the III before anyone could reasonably expect a IV.

Additionally, given the global issues with shortages of components and other logistical problems due to geopolitical instability, even if a IV was a mature design, it might not see production and market for a very long time.

It was 7 years between the II and the III. Next year will be 5 years since the III was announced. OTOH, the competitive environment is a bit more challenging now than back in 2018, so there might be more pressure this time around to come out with something soon. While there are plenty of important new features that could be delivered in firmware updates or Axe-Edit updates (Cab GUI, IR references that don't depend on slot number, preset browser, save preset to DAW track, midi control over performance controls), there are some important features what would probably require a new generation of hardware:

• Bluetooth (for mobile device editor and wireless foot controllers)
  • Mic pre with phantom power
  • Send midi clock
  • MIDI from USB to DIN
  • Selectable output sample rate
  • Attach notes to preset
  • Number of blocks of each type limited only by available cpu
  • USB port for thumb drive containing presets
  • I/O routing matrix
Plus a full-fledged looper with savable loops......bring on the IV ! :oops::):cool:

Won't happen. Fractal has already hinted at a new cab sim system here which would point to continued support for the current platform. 2024 would be earliest and more likely is even further than that as the number of available chips more powerful than what is the Axe-Fx 3 are limited or alternatively massively more expensive.

Would be cool to have some wireless built in, NOT BLUETOOTH, to eliminate some cables. I know everyone would then bitch about which system it might be compatible with, etc, so it won't happen. My dream would be having a little transmitter for the guitar, and some wireless headphones.

Yes, I have a Waza Air already, but the modeling in it sucks and editing anything is really painful. It loses connectivity with my phone constantly, and is pure Bluetooth hell. Being able to do that with the III as a modeler would be a dream.

Would be cool to have some wireless built in, NOT BLUETOOTH, to eliminate some cables. I know everyone would then bitch about which system it might be compatible with, etc, so it won't happen. My dream would be having a little transmitter for the guitar, and some wireless headphones.

Yes, I have a Waza Air already, but the modeling in it sucks and editing anything is really painful. It loses connectivity with my phone constantly, and is pure Bluetooth hell. Being able to do that with the III as a modeler would be a dream.
No headphones, but I enjoy the hell out of the Carvin wg5 wireless for home use. No, probably not robust enough for live but no cord at home
is great! :)

Won't happen. Fractal has already hinted at a new cab sim system here which would point to continued support for the current platform. 2024 would be earliest and more likely is even further than that as the number of available chips more powerful than what is the Axe-Fx 3 are limited or alternatively massively more expensive.

You think the new cab gui would be offered on the current platform? I suppose it might be possible, but it seems far more likely to me that would at the very least require more storage for the new IRs, and thus a new Axe-FX model. Maybe a new kind of Axe-FX III, but when he mentioned he's working on that, I assumed he meant that's coming on the Axe-FX IV.

Back
Top Bottom