AXE-FX IV - WISH List

For more presets
So people, you, need more than 1024 presets?

This is what I don't understand… there's NO WAY anyone could use that many presets in a night, or a week. We can store them on disk and move them in and out easily, so why does the hardware need more than 1024?

So people, you, need more than 1024 presets?

This is what I don't understand… there's NO WAY anyone could use that many presets in a night, or a week. We can store them on disk and move them in and out easily, so why does the hardware need more than 1024?
512 on mine 2. I don't want to delete the wacky ones in the middle

My wish.. ability to hook up a USB mouse directly to the Axe and have a floating cursor shown overlay on the grid so it’s almost like having axe edit without a laptop.

44.1k option for recording sampling rate
A second instrument input
Touchscreen
Bluetooth receiving of audio
Wireless control using phone/tablet/computer

44.1k option for recording sampling rate
A second instrument input
Touchscreen
Bluetooth receiving of audio
Wireless control using phone/tablet/computer

Why not just record in 48 and resample to 44.1 in your DAW if you must? CD's aren't even really a thing people use anymore.

Never going to happen...
There's no reason an Axe-FX IV couldn't have selectable output sample rates. Competing modelers have this feature. In retrospect, the Axe-FX III probably should have had it. Is it preferable to avoid SRC at the output? Sure, but there are many situations where that's not an option.

Al has done a heroic job under the circumstances, but it would be far better if the Axe-FX IV had built-in bluetooth. That way you wouldn't have to deal with a flaky adapter from a 3rd party and you wouldn't have to give up your midi port. And, there are other applications that could benefit from Bluetooth as well (e.g. wireless controllers).

There's no reason an Axe-FX IV couldn't have selectable output sample rates. Competing modelers have this feature. In retrospect, the Axe-FX III probably should have had it. Is it preferable to avoid SRC at the output? Sure, but there are many situations where that's not an option.
Oh, I didn't say it couldn't... I said it wouldn't ;)

I don't suspect Cliff is going to change his mind on this topic. But who knows?
Al has done a heroic job under the circumstances, but it would be far better if the Axe-FX IV had built-in bluetooth. That way you wouldn't have to deal with a flaky adapter from a 3rd party and you wouldn't have to give up your midi port. And, there are other applications that could benefit from Bluetooth as well (e.g. wireless controllers).
Sure. And using a "native" editor (preferably the same one) would be great, too.

I would pay more than I paid for my Axe Fx 3 and would pay up to 4-5G if the following was implemented in the Axe FX 4 aka better off named "Axe FX Pro". Sounds better than 3 and numbers in the name no longer sound good after 3 for something lke the.

-Solid state amp block with Solid State Power Amp section or Tube power amp section
Models:
*1st generation Sansamp PSA1 rack,
*Various Randall RG and RH circuits,
*Marshall Valvestate,
*Peavey solid state "transtube" circuit released over the years - yes it tries to emulate tubes but result is its own unique and focused sound)

-Transformer Power Amp section for the regular amp block which I assume is only designed for tube preamps

-Dynamic cab modeling (to experience the idea already in existence try removing your cab block and plugging in your fractal to your DAW to demo two notes wall of sound plug-in for dynamic cab modeling. It's basically the equivalent of 1000 impulse responses per impulse response snapshot. They make some deeply realistic cab sounds that's for sure.

-wordclock IN via BNC connector

-adat/smux lightpipe

-Global independent Looper - active regardless of preset, and the ability to import wav or mp3 files into it to trigger, but the forthwith assigned to it to also be assigned to switch your scene or go to a new preset on the hit, and programmable to go back, or to a new scene or preset when hit again.

-Reworked sequencer with available shapes of slopes per step

-88.2k or 96k sample rate architecture (to minimize aliasing-related artifacts from heavily applied saturation type processing within, unless already over sampled, but 88.2K or 96 are just nicer to have.

-Polyphonic guitar synthesizer block with models like meris enzo, or boss syn-3 pad of some sort. (Please no other instrument sims, only synthesis).

I would pay more than I paid for my Axe Fx 3 and would pay up to 4-5G if the following was implemented in the Axe FX 4 aka better off named "Axe FX Pro". Sounds better than 3 and numbers in the name no longer sound good after 3 for something lke the.

-Solid state amp block with Solid State Power Amp section or Tube power amp section
Models:
*1st generation Sansamp PSA1 rack,
*Various Randall RG and RH circuits,
*Marshall Valvestate,
*Peavey solid state "transtube" circuit released over the years - yes it tries to emulate tubes but result is its own unique and focused sound)

-Transformer Power Amp section for the regular amp block which I assume is only designed for tube preamps

-Dynamic cab modeling (to experience the idea already in existence try removing your cab block and plugging in your fractal to your DAW to demo two notes wall of sound plug-in for dynamic cab modeling. It's basically the equivalent of 1000 impulse responses per impulse response snapshot. They make some deeply realistic cab sounds that's for sure.

-wordclock IN via BNC connector

-adat/smux lightpipe

-Global independent Looper - active regardless of preset, and the ability to import wav or mp3 files into it to trigger, but the forthwith assigned to it to also be assigned to switch your scene or go to a new preset on the hit, and programmable to go back, or to a new scene or preset when hit again.

-Reworked sequencer with available shapes of slopes per step

-88.2k or 96k sample rate architecture (to minimize aliasing-related artifacts from heavily applied saturation type processing within, unless already over sampled, but 88.2K or 96 are just nicer to have.

-Polyphonic guitar synthesizer block with models like meris enzo, or boss syn-3 pad of some sort. (Please no other instrument sims, only synthesis).
Would you like a bag of chips with that?

Still the old wish to freely connect any preamp to any power amp — or at least to connect the rack preamps to a range of classic power amps.

I'm also wondering if the next CPU jump will be big enough...
Like, if it was not that huge, will Cliff opt for "more," or maybe less, but better? This in case he wants to go to his seemingly preferred 64 kHz instead of 48. Seems the 64 will be the last quality increase and make some coding easier, but it might lose us a number of blocks, so to speak? Or he could wait for a CPU that blows everything out of the water on all levels and have it all :) I'm simply wondering if the next CPU will already do that...

Last edited:
So people, you, need more than 1024 presets? This is what I don't understand…
there's NO WAY anyone could use that many presets in a night, or a week.
Some people are into playing presets, esp. if there is no time or ability for anything else.
I'm not entirely in that box, but if I would one day get all austinbuddy's packs (etc.), I'd prefer to have them loaded with much room to spare, as I wanna play and demo them elsewhere too, w/o my PC connected (I don't even have a laptop & stuff).

We can store them on disk and move them in and out easily, so why does the hardware need more than 1024?
1024 still feels fine, even to me, but 2048 is better. Even if this would be expensive memory, it can't cost that much more, as a preset hardly takes up space. I could understand if maybe the coding or banking would become awkward, so a good compromise would be the ability to load from USB stick, or rather: have a space where a small memory card can sit permanently, even if that is slower memory. It's ok if the Fractal can not directly access it super fast for live purposes; it would be cheap storage memory that could probably serve many other cool purposes (backing tracks, store loops, ...).

It kinda depends what amount of presets you or other people come up with, which is always something that could "explode" as more people come to Fractal. OTOH, with firmwares changing sound, it's more useful when the unit is EOL. It's also more interesting to sell a unit with 2000 good presets than 400 factory ones that have not been updated to the latest firmware.

P.S. Auditioning 4000 presets a year is only 11 presets a day! ;)
OTOH, the current system of scenes makes it all times 8 and is a fair argument to be happy with 1024. A next-gen may get more scenes anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom