Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Cliff has evolved to the point where he doesn’t have to use monitors to “hear” an amp anymore.... he is now able to simply perceive the sympathetic harmonic resonance of any circuit by detecting subtle changes in the spin of the electronics. Essentially he can now “see” the Matrix lol

any major firmware release that changes amp modeling, i personally always choose to reset the amp type to default and dial in from scratch. almost every time i did this over the past 10 years, the new version was easier and faster to dial in, with less knob turns.

While I am sure this is a good idea which I would like to try, it’s not practical for some of us who tweak a lot of parameters and may have even forgotten which ones we tweaked over the course of a few weeks. If only there was a way to know which parameters had changed with each firmware, then we could go about systematically readjusting things or resetting. Starting from scratch means different things to different people...

While I am sure this is a good idea which I would like to try, it’s not practical for some of us who tweak a lot of parameters and may have even forgotten which ones we tweaked over the course of a few weeks. If only there was a way to know which parameters had changed with each firmware, then we could go about systematically readjusting things or resetting. Starting from scratch means different things to different people...
There's a way : export to pdf the old preset then the new then compare boths with a diff util

FAS sounds great.. love the update. you really gave the tone more body....still cant get away from
the Comet 60
That amp shouldn’t have changed, unless there were some other things done aside from the CF. The Comet 60 is a non CF amp as far as I can tell. Awesome amp btw..

That amp shouldn’t have changed, unless there were some other things done aside from the CF. The Comet 60 is a non CF amp as far as I can tell. Awesome amp btw..

Yes, what made the difference for me was resetting the amp block and just re-tweaking my preset...

As long as you have an unused channel you can start there with a fresh amp and compare settings or copy some settings by hand from the old channel.

When there is no channel free anymore, save one channels settings in AE first, to get one slot free for editing. Then use the free channel like above. When you are done import the old saved settings from AE again.

It seems like this firmware is more balanced overall in terms of tone, and more natural in the way it feels. Amp models I always loved are still great, and many high gain amps I could not gel with work for me now. This is the kind of firmware where I am almost afraid to turn off the unit for fear it not sounding as good next time!

Have no fear, that only happens with real amps. :cool:

True dat!

But I've also experienced hours/days of loving a tone and my interaction with it ("ahhh, that sounds f-ing awesome") with it randomly switching to being just "meh" wondering what I liked so much or where it went. Probably linked to my mood or intention or maybe tolerance (oversaturation) and needing to take a break.

But maybe Cliff has cracked into the subjective matrix with his "higher order" cathode follower consciousness. It's not just about electrons but neurons.

Last edited:
True dat!

But I've also experienced hours/days of loving a tone and my interaction with it ("ahhh, that sounds f-ing awesome") with it randomly switching to being just "meh" wondering what I liked so much or where it went. Probably linked to my mood or intention or maybe tolerance (oversaturation) and needing to take a break.

I routinely see people whose hearing can vary 5-10 dB depending on the day, weather, allergies, colds/congestion etc. If your ears are down 5dB at 1000 and 2000 Hertz you can certainly notice a change in your tone, just as if you cut or boosted those freq. with an EQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom