Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Class A amp sounds bassy like the fenders did in beta#1. Does anyone else have this issue ?

I used the Class A a lot in my Axe-FX II and it was very clean. I am not certain how it sounded in my Axe III before V5 beta but it dosen't have a clean sound now.
I just tested all the class A amps. I used a legacy number 35 cab. I found no excess bass, withe the exception of class A 15w tb. It was a little bassy. I used default settings for all of them.

I just tested all the class A amps. I used a legacy number 35 cab. I found no excess bass, withe the exception of class A 15w tb. It was a little bassy. I used default settings for all of them.

I created new presets for all the class A amps and they all sound good. No problems with any of them.

Remove the connection from OUT1 to OUT4. You've created an internal feedback loop. You really need to simply this patch. It's unnecessarily complicated.
Could you please enlighten me Cliff?
For a feedback loop, don't I need something form OUT4 going back to some input?
The reason I did this output setup is this:
1. Copy OUT 1 to OUT 2 (could probably do this in the output menu) - OUT 1 goes to FOH, OUT 2 to my monitors
2- Copy OUT1 to OUT 4 and sum with IN 3 (which is signal from FOH) - OUT 4 goes to my IEMs
How can I simplify this?
Or is there something else in this preset that's to complicated?

Probably another bug:
Sometimes when selecting the Tim1 drive, I get an oscillating tone:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgqvt3pm4c8zq1x/AxeFx Oscillation.wav?dl=0
This is the preset:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgfkmrx8r2rggnc/Stereo Plexis.syx?dl=0
When selecting another channel and going back to the Tim1, it's gone.
i can't load the preset correctly due to the Global blocks. everything is set to the lowest values.

can you save to a new slot, then use the Front Panel, Layout>Tools - Unlink all Global blocks (last option), then save and export it again?

My Class A amp sounds bassy like the fenders did in beta#1. Does anyone else have this issue ?

I used the Class A a lot in my Axe-FX II and it was very clean. I am not certain how it sounded in my Axe III before V5 beta but it dosen't have a clean sound now.

Go into a random Axe III factory preset, and change the amp to the one you're having bass problems with, and see if that sounds bass-y too.

If it doesn't, then I would recommend you delete your problematic preset, save the empty preset, and then re-create it again.

"sounds bassy" and "not clean" are 2 separate things. are these comments related?

with the Input Drive below 2, the Class-A amps are pretty clean for my humbucker guitar.

I have spent all day going over the new drives, playing with various effects in my GoTo Bogner Shiva/XTC gig preset, and I am totally blown away by this firmware. The new fuzzes sound awesome, and the new and improved overdrive pedals are fantastic and very realistic.

It's all one bad mofo this FW 5.02 beta, and the best I've ever heard. I haven't gone through a lot of amps yet (but will), but everything I'm hearing is just un-fricking believable and stellar sounding, so that you just can't stop playing... Other than eat and sleep, I'll play all weekend long -- and love every second of it.

Congratulations to Cliff and the FAS team -- you keep making TONE miracles!

Last edited:
No need for a direct reply to this issue but after I installed this Beta (#2) a couple of days ago, every preset I tried (I tried about 10 of my own, Fenders, Marshalls etc and then about 10 factory presets across a range of amps) sounded like I had blown my monitors. Everything was affected so I thought the Adam's must have failed or maybe a faulty lead - maybe something else in my signal path. Anyway, I swapped out the lead and no difference and I thought before I started disassembling my studio rig I'd roll back to 4.03. I did and the problem vanished. Back to lush, rich tones on every preset I tried. Perhaps there was an issue with the #2 firmware install. Or perhaps there is an issue with my Axe FX3 and the new firmware.

Since I rolled back though I am having issues with the odd preset vanishing. Yes, one's I had previously made on 4.03. The preset title is there in Axe Presets but when you open it there is nothing there. I rebuild the preset and it seems to stay. Probably user error I suppose as I went to a new firmware and rolled back to the older one. I had made a backup of my presets on 4.03 and reloaded them but then I had different ones missing!

Just a report of one users experience. I have upgraded firmware via Fractal Bot loads of times with no issues. Sorry but I don't have more specifics than this. I'll sit tight and wait for the final firmware version and opt out of the Beta's for now.

Last edited:
I started from scratch and created new presets for all the class A amps and they all sound really good. No problems at all with any of them.

These settings sound good with my Eric Johnson Stratocaster using the neck pickup.

Create a new preset from scratch. Try a Class-A 30W TB with input drive 2, bass 2, treble 4, high cut 0, level -10.
(You can add the output eq, with 3 band console and boost the mids a bit if you like.)

The right choice of cabs make all the difference. Here are four different options for cabs that sound good to me:

For cabs try Factory 1 #845 panned left and Legacy #94 panned right. Proximity on 1 on both.

For cabs also try Factory 1 #936 panned left and Factory 1 # 937 panned right. Proximity on 2 on both.

Legacy # 94 panned to center by itself sounds good. Proximity on 2.

Factory 1 #845 panned to center by itself sounds good also. Proximity on 2.

Add compression and reverb.

No need for a direct reply to this issue but after I installed this Beta (#2) a couple of days ago, every preset I tried (I tried about 10 of my own, Fenders, Marshalls etc and then about 10 factory presets across a range of amps) sounded like I had blown my monitors. Everything was affected so I thought the Adam's must have failed or maybe a faulty lead - maybe something else in my signal path. Anyway, I swapped out the lead and no difference and I thought before I started disassembling my studio rig I'd roll back to 4.03. I did and the problem vanished. Back to lush, rich tones on every preset I tried. Perhaps there was an issue with the #2 firmware install. Or perhaps there is an issue with my Axe FX3 and the new firmware.

Since I rolled back though I am having issues with the odd preset vanishing. Yes, one's I had previously made on 4.03. The preset title is there in Axe Presets but when you open it there is nothing there. I rebuild the preset and it seems to stay. Probably user error I suppose as I went to a new firmware and rolled back to the older one. I had made a backup of my presets on 4.03 and reloaded them but then I had different ones missing!

Just a report of one users experience. I have upgraded firmware via Fractal Bot loads of times with no issues. Sorry but I don't have more specifics than this. I'll sit tight and wait for the final firmware version and opt out of the Beta's for now.
I had a issue where I couldn’t see presets I saved in the beta version, once I rolled back. They will come back when you upgrade next time.

after I installed this Beta (#2) a couple of days ago, every preset I tried (I tried about 10 of my own, Fenders, Marshalls etc and then about 10 factory presets across a range of amps) sounded like I had blown my monitors. I thought before I started disassembling my studio rig I'd roll back to 4.03. I did and the problem vanished. Back to lush, rich tones on every preset I tried.

What corrected some issues for me was rolling back to 4.03, re-installing everything, including the presets, and system files, then while on 4.03 re-setting all the amp blocks for all the presets and re-saving them. Then I re-downloaded 5.00 beta2 and re-installed it. I then went through all my main presets and everything sounded right. 5.00 beta2 sounds really good.

Last edited:
It seems to me the excess bass issue is not entirely fixed in beta 2. I have come across it when trying to play through the power section of my Victory Kraken with power amp modeling disabled. I've tried a few models at random (Cornfed, Dizzy Silver, Dirty Shirley) and they all seem to exhibit a very woofy low end. Through the SD Powerstage and power amp modeling enabled there's only a slight bass exaggeration in comparison (mainly audible when playing with guitar volume turned down to about 4-5). Playing through monitors the issue is not apparent.

Okay...finally got to play with the newest firmware tonight. I may be enjoying this one a little too much. Playing around with the Rectos and other high gain amps with the palm mute...man, that thump is so awesome. The wife asked me to turn down because I'm knocking stuff off the walls in the living room down the hall.:bomb::D

With this new beta, out of all the amps and cabs, what would you choose to create a great fluid classic rock full sounding clean, tight crunch and fluid distortion? I've been playing with several amp and cab combinations, with and without pedals in front and either get too dark or too knife cutting. It's just me having issues dialing in.

Last edited:
i can't load the preset correctly due to the Global blocks. everything is set to the lowest values.

can you save to a new slot, then use the Front Panel, Layout>Tools - Unlink all Global blocks (last option), then save and export it again?
Done:https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgfkmrx8r2rggnc/Stereo Plexis.syx?dl=0

I've also changed the outputs:
The Idea was to have the following:
- OUT 1 to FOH
- OUT2 to monitors
- IN 3 from FOH
- OUT 3 sum from FOH and OUT
I did make the mistake to put OUTs 2 and 4 after OUT 1.
Old on the left, new on the right

p.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom