Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that all the Marshalls seem to be a bit more compressed and distorted than before. Almost like a fuzz tone. On my real Marshall's when cranked to a certain volume level the speakers in the cabs start distorting and add to the overall distorted sound. This is kind of what I was hearing. On the real amps if you lower the volume just a bit below that breakup point the speakers stop distorting. So depending on the volume level you play at either the speakers are distorting and adding to the overall distorted sound or they are not. I couldn't really dial it out with the new firmware. Basically 5.00beta 2 sounds just a bit too fuzzy on all the Marshalls to me. It doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound quite right.
I can agree as far as many of the amps sounding different. But that is sometimes the case with firmware updates. For me the Solo 100 amp, which is my go to amp for many presets, lost its oomph. It got tinnier sounding. So I made a few adjustments and boom, all better. Also many of the amps that have the master volume on 10 can get boomy and break up in a blown speaker way. This may depend on what pickups you have. Backing off the master volume and adjusting your bass, mid and treble may take care of that issue. My Band Commander was that way on my PRS HB bridge pickup, after the update. I rolled back the master volume and it fixed it.

I think I may have discovered a bug with Scenes and default Reverb 1.

Whenever you add Reverb 1 to a blank preset the Reverb type will always remain as Medium Room for Scene 2 after you change the Reverb type in Scene 1 to Cumulonimbus. All other Scenes will change to Cumulonimbus that you selected in Scene 1 except for Scene 2.

This also causes a "popping static" sound when switching back and fourth between Scenes 1 and 2 while you are playing something on your guitar. Even if you match the Reverb type for Scene 2 to the changed Reverb type Cumulonimbus from Scene 1, you will still hear this popping static sound, you have to be playing something that kicks in the Reverb and it only happens when switching between Scenes 1 and 2. You will not hear this popping static sound when changing between any other scenes and all the other Scenes Reverb type will be Cumulonimbus.

I have not noticed this happening with Reverb 2

To see the Medium Room stick to Scene 2:
  • Start with a blank preset
  • Start on Scene 1
  • Add Reverb 1 (defaults to Medium Room)
  • Change the Reverb type to Cumulonimbus
  • Click on Scene 2
  • Scene 2 will show Medium Room
  • All other Scenes will show Cumulonimbus

To hear the "popping static" sound:
  • Start on Scene 1
  • Add Input 1
  • Add Output 1
  • Connect them
  • Add Amp 1 (default)
  • Add Cab 1 (default)
  • Add Reverb 1 (defaults) Medium Room
  • Click to Scene 2
  • Play something on your guitar while you switch between Scene 1 and 2. You will hear a slight "pop with static" between the Scene change from Scene 1 to Scene 2 and Scene 2 will show Medium Room for the Reverb type
  • You will not hear this popping static sound when changing from any other Scenes and the other Scenes will show Cumulonimbus as their Reverb types

To see the Medium Room stick to Scene 2:
  • Start on Scene 1
  • Add Reverb 1 (defaults to Medium Room)
  • Click on Scene 2
  • Scene 2 will show Medium Room
  • All other Scenes will show Cumulonimbus
are you certain the Channel isn't changing when going to Scene 2?

are you certain the Channel isn't changing when going to Scene 2?

You are correct. The Channel does change to B for Scene 2. The Channel stays as A for all other Scenes.

Reverb 2 the Channel stays as A for all Scenes.

So I guess the bug is that for Reverb 1 the Channel on Scene 2 always changes to B?

Very weird, even if I start on Scene 2 and add Reverb 1, it defaults to Channel B.

You are correct. The Channel does change to B for Scene 2. The Channel stays as A for all other Scenes.

So I guess the bug is that for Reverb 1 the Channel on Scene 2 always changes to B?

Very weird, even if I start on Scene 2 and add Reverb 1, it defaults to Channel B.
yes that's a better description. it's not the Type that's changing, it's the Channel. very important for bug hunting.

will check it out.

I can't reproduce this. Are you reusing a preset? Did you really start with an empty preset? Or did you start with a preset, empty out the blocks, and then call it empty? Because a preset emptied out like that would have had the state of the blocks in each scene retained. Try starting from a truly empty preset, not just one you deleted the blocks from.

I think I may have figured it out. I only have one preset I've made so far (new unit) and in the preset I have a Reverb 1 with a Channel A and Channel B. I just deleted that Reverb 1 block and saved the preset. Now when I add a Reverb 1, Channel 2 does not default to B.

I have only created one preset on this device and I have removed the Reverb 1 block from it and saved the Preset.

Now using a blank preset, if I add a new Reverb 1 block and assign a Channel B to Scene 2, all new instances of Reverb 1 will default to Channel B for Scene 2.

Is that normal? If you assign a Channel to a Scene for a Block type should all new instances of that Block type carry over the Channel assignment?

I'm restoring factory presets now and will try this again in a few minutes.

Last edited:
I have only created one preset on this device and I have removed the Reverb 1 block from it and saved the Preset.

Now using a blank preset, if I add a new Reverb 1 block and assign a Channel B to Scene 2, all new instances of Reverb 1 will default to Channel B for Scene 2.

Is that normal? If you assign a Channel to a Scene for a Block type should all new instances of that Block type carry over the Channel assignment?

I'm restoring factory presets now and will try this again in a few minutes.
hmm, that doesn't sound right. but regardless, Scenes aren't setup at all until you set them up. you shouldn't switch to a Scene you haven't adjusted at all and expect anything to be set to anything specifically. at least that's how i view it.

i guess you could say/argue that never-touched Scenes "should" all be Channel A, but again, i never approach it that way. it needs to be setup at some point.

Total reset of unit (system params, presets, cabs).

Create new preset 000
I'm using the defaults for all the blocks below. No changes.
Add Input 1
Add Output 1
Connect them
Add Amp 1
Add Cab 1
Add Reverb 1

Strumming the guitar and let it ring out, no static pop when switching Scenes

Select Scene 2
Change Reverb block Channel to B

Strumming the guitar and let it ring out, anytime I enter or leave Scene 2 which is on Channel B, I get the pop
Static pop when switching from Scene 2 to any other Scene
Static pop when switching to Scene 2 from any other Scene
No static pop when switching between any other Scenes as long as I don't select Scene 2.

Last edited:
Total reset of unit (system params, presets, cabs).

Create new preset 000
I'm using the defaults for all the blocks below. No changes.
Add Input 1
Add Output 1
Connect them
Add Amp 1
Add Cab 1
Add Reverb 1

No static pop when switching Scenes

Select Scene 2
Change Channel to B

Strumming the guitar, anytime I enter or leave Scene 2 which is on Channel B, I get the pop
Static pop when switching from Scene 2 to any other Scene
Static pop when switching to Scene 2 from any other Scene
No static pop when switching between any other Scenes as long as I don't select Scene 2.
You're changing channels on the Reverb with the scene change. It has been stated before that pops can occur when changing Reverb types.

You're changing channels on the Reverb with the scene change. It has been stated before that pops can occur when changing Reverb types.

I'm not changing Reverb types, just the Channel on the Reverb block to B.

Sounds like a known issue. First time owner. Just didn't expect that but good to know.

Last edited:
I'm not changing Reverb types, just the Channel on the Reverb block to B.

Sounds like a known issue. First time owner. Just didn't expect that but good to know.
What is the difference between channel A and B of the Reverb block?

What is the difference between channel A and B of the Reverb block?

No difference. I'm not making any changes, I'm literally just changing the Channel in Scene 2 to B and notice the pop noise when switching in and out of that Scene.

After playing around with this more tonight I think it's just a normal pop sound but I wasn't aware that it would do this when changing a Channel in a Scene and then moving in and out of that Scene.

Attached.
Great. Thanks. I can confirm the reverb settings are unchanging from channel to channel; no pop in this situation would be desireable but honestly not useful -- the solution would be to not change the channel on the block if you're not changing the settings, unfortunately.

When settings do change there can be a discontinuity that can cause the pop. I'll pass this along, but not sure anything will get done about it.

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 8.30.26 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom