Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.02 Public Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon my knowledge on the subject of impedance curve but are they essentially an impulse response?

This is my understanding of the subject: When you connect a tube guitar amplifier to a speaker the interaction is not simply that the speaker outputs the signal that it is fed. The interaction is a two way interaction. The speaker(s) are a reactive load having an impedance that varies with frequency. If you measure and plot the impedance of a speaker cabinet with respect to frequency this will give you the speaker impedance curve.

The frequency dependent variance in load impedance causes the amplifier itself to behave differently and thus sound / feel different. Without measurement tools, the particular effects of this are difficult to identify when playing a tube amp through various cabinets because there are many variables at play that make each cabinet / amp combination sound and feel different. However, the effect becomes readily apparent when you connect a tube amplifier to a resistive or reactive load box rather than to a speaker. The Fryette Power Station takes advantage of this fact and has two three position switches allowing the user to alter the impedance curve of the reactive load. Changing the shape of the impedance curve results in an audible difference in the sound as well as a difference in the feel of a the loaded down amp. The speaker impedance curve modeling in the Axe-FX III allows you to simulate the same thing.

View attachment 104617

And if I understand Cliff, this will be made into something like "Update [20.x] Speaker Imp Upon Load" with YES being 20.02b2 behavior while NO would not update any SICs. (Or vice-versa if something like "Lock Speaker Impedance")

possible stupid question ahead - why wouldn’t you want to update it ?

It's considered bad programming manners to stomp on data the user has explicitly set.

Sometimes it's unavoidable, but, if so, we're supposed to tell the user to not move forward if that is going to happen. It's all part of helping them feel in charge of their system and their own destiny.

Computer programmers aren't heartless bastards. That job is owned by system administrators.

I'm getting different values on different presets when using the same SIC. I switch to a different curve and then back to update its new values but on some presets they aren't the same. I'm using the USA 4x12 and one preset the crossover frequency goes to 10 when the others show 32 and another shows a higher high frequency but on a different preset it stay at the old value which is lower. I can't remember the frequency, maybe 1460? The new value is higher, maybe 1600 or so. Is this a bug?

This is my understanding of the subject: When you connect a tube guitar amplifier to a speaker the interaction is not simply that the speaker outputs the signal that it is fed. The interaction is a two way interaction. The speaker(s) are a reactive load having an impedance that varies with frequency. If you measure and plot the impedance of a speaker cabinet with respect to frequency this will give you the speaker impedance curve.

The frequency dependent variance in load impedance causes the amplifier itself to behave differently and thus sound / feel different. Without measurement tools, the particular effects of this are difficult to identify when playing a tube amp through various cabinets because there are many variables at play that make each cabinet / amp combination sound and feel different. However, the effect becomes readily apparent when you connect a tube amplifier to a resistive or reactive load box rather than to a speaker. The Fryette Power Station takes advantage of this fact and has two three position switches allowing the user to alter the impedance curve of the reactive load. Changing the shape of the impedance curve results in an audible difference in the sound as well as a difference in the feel of a the loaded down amp. The speaker impedance curve modeling in the Axe-FX III allows you to simulate the same thing.
“Impedance is frequency-dependent resistance in an AC circuit”, would be the title of this excellent description.

I'm getting different values on different presets when using the same SIC. I switch to a different curve and then back to update its new values but on some presets they aren't the same. I'm using the USA 4x12 and one preset the crossover frequency goes to 10 when the others show 32 and another shows a higher high frequency but on a different preset it stay at the old value which is lower. I can't remember the frequency, maybe 1460? The new value is higher, maybe 1600 or so. Is this a bug?
Wut? There is no "crossover frequency" and the last few sentences are incomprehensible.

I’m having trouble following this. Could you take a video?

This is a rare instance where I might want to keep the old curves. For the reasons stated above.

I'll most likely just make notes of the values on the old ones though, and then tweak any radically different new ones toward the old values.

edit: although the IC fairy has apparently tamed the curves that were wild.

It's considered bad programming manners to stomp on data the user has explicitly set.

Yes. And also there is a generic design principle called extension (or backward compatibility) which means adding functionality nondestructively is preferable (if possible w/o other design compromises) to changing or clobbering existing functionality.

But for me personally there are a bunch of presets I have with particular curves that sound that way the do because of them and even if the new default curve might sound great, the character would change.

Last edited:
Wut? There is no "crossover frequency" and the last few sentences are incomprehensible.
I think he is talking about the XFormer Low and High Freq parameters. Switching channels to different amp models but using the same SIC seems to change those values.

Not saying this is a bug, just reporting that it does this.

I think he is talking about the XFormer Low and High Freq parameters. Switching channels to different amp models but using the same SIC seems to change those values.

Not saying this is a bug, just reporting that it does this.
And I think that's normal since those are transformer related parameters, so they follow the amp model and not the SIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom