Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.01

I have a probably dumb question. Over my long history, have typically used multiple speakers (two or four) in my cabs. Here’s my question: what is the designer-intended thump control setting for a four-Greenback cab IR for a 100W plexi model?
I can confidently say that the designer intends you to dial in the Thump parameter to the setting that is most pleasing to your ears and hands. :)

It feels better. Easier, more open. Is there more gain? More juice? It feels Allive!
boris karloff frankenstein GIF by Maudit

Another stellar firmware improvement.
Cheers to the team at Fractal!

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/20p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_20p01.zip

A new version of Axe-Edit has also been released:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-12-04.185024/

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Added Speaker Thump control to Amp block. Speaker Thump models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amplifier running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker. The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker. Note that the majority of the response is in the subsonic region and the effect is primarily tactile. Existing presets are not affected and the value will be zero.

Improved Amp block output transformer modeling. This requires updated Transformer LF/HF values for the amp models. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon recall.

Decreased minimum diffuser time in Delay block to 1%.

Added G12T-75 speaker impedance curve.

Added 2x12 Class-A Greenback speaker impedance curve.

Added 2x12 Two Stone 1265 speaker impedance curve.

Added Depth control to Authentic page for Brit Super, Brit 800 Mod and JMP-1 amp models.

Added Diamante Fire amp model based on a Diamond Del Fuego.

Changed “Drive” to “Gain” for Amp block preamp gain control as this is more consistent with naming in real amps.

Fixed switching channels on Drive block can cause pop.

Fixed switching channels on bypassed blocks can cause an audio gap.

Fixed wrong drive taper in Mr. Z Highway 66 model.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman Smallbox model.

FC: Fixed Factory Default layouts so FX Bypass and Channel switches use the correct blocks.

FC: Fixed an issue that prevented the Hold function from working correctly for some Stand-in Switches.

FC: Fixed UI to refresh when performing "Reset" on a Setlist or a Song from the front panel.

FC: Fixed Setlist functions to not load a song when "Song Load" is set to "None"

FC: Layout Link will no longer unduly trigger when exiting the Tuner.

FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now stop flashing when the preset is changed by any means other than an FC footswitch (editor, front panel, etc.)

FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now flash consistently when used with Bank: Select switches.

FC: Preset: Toggle in Bank now consistently and correctly loads the "Primary" preset after changing the bank.

FC: Removed "PREVIOUS" from Bank: Select function as it was replaced by "2nd Press = Previous Bank"

Various other fixes and improvements.

“Tactile” ….

I’m beginning to believe in evolution 🫣

The AxeFx being the MISSING LINK ♥️

Update: M@ helped me find the issue. Not a bug, just user error.

Possible bug:

After I assign a hold function of effect toggle to FC per preset #2 it does not do anything on my PP#2 foot switch of my FC-6 even though the change is reflected in Axe Edit.
1656552427085.png

Attachments

• Tele Express.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
  • III-210422-104310-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Possible bug:

After I assign a hold function of effect toggle to FC per preset #2 it does not do anything on my PP#2 foot switch of my FC-6 even though the change is reflected in Axe Edit.
It's working fine here with your preset. I tested it against both factory layout #6 and against the layout #6 in your system file.
You have HOLD set to toggle Plex 1 between A and B. That's happening every time I hold the switch. I observed the channel change both in Axe-Edit and on the hardware.

EDIT: I presume you're not talking about the little simulated mini-display in the SWITCHES area in Axe-Edit (illustrated below.) That view has never been truly dynamic, but it does refresh when you click any other switch.

1656556465726.png

It's working fine here with your preset. I tested it against both factory layout #6 and against the layout #6 in your system file.
You have HOLD set to toggle Plex 1 between A and B. That's happening every time I hold the switch. I observed the channel change both in Axe-Edit and on the hardware.

Huh. For some reason it does not work for me. No function is executed when I hold that foot switch and no function is shown when I execute reveal hold. I'll try it again tomorrow and report back.

That's working here too. I edited Layout 6 so switch 3 has REVEAL HOLD (momentary) on the HOLD function of Switch 3. Shown below is the result with your preset loaded:

View attachment 104194

I just found the issue: user error.

On the layout I was operating from (8) I had the hold function for the per preset #2 foot switch assigned to the hold function of per preset function #1. Once I corrected that and assigned it to the hold function of PP#2 everything is working as expected.

Thank you for taking the time to look into it.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/20p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_20p01.zip

A new version of Axe-Edit has also been released:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-12-04.185024/

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Added Speaker Thump control to Amp block. Speaker Thump models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amplifier running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker. The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker. Note that the majority of the response is in the subsonic region and the effect is primarily tactile. Existing presets are not affected and the value will be zero.

Improved Amp block output transformer modeling. This requires updated Transformer LF/HF values for the amp models. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon recall.

Decreased minimum diffuser time in Delay block to 1%.

Added G12T-75 speaker impedance curve.

Added 2x12 Class-A Greenback speaker impedance curve.

Added 2x12 Two Stone 1265 speaker impedance curve.

Added Depth control to Authentic page for Brit Super, Brit 800 Mod and JMP-1 amp models.

Added Diamante Fire amp model based on a Diamond Del Fuego.

Changed “Drive” to “Gain” for Amp block preamp gain control as this is more consistent with naming in real amps.

Fixed switching channels on Drive block can cause pop.

Fixed switching channels on bypassed blocks can cause an audio gap.

Fixed wrong drive taper in Mr. Z Highway 66 model.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman Smallbox model.

FC: Fixed Factory Default layouts so FX Bypass and Channel switches use the correct blocks.

FC: Fixed an issue that prevented the Hold function from working correctly for some Stand-in Switches.

FC: Fixed UI to refresh when performing "Reset" on a Setlist or a Song from the front panel.

FC: Fixed Setlist functions to not load a song when "Song Load" is set to "None"

FC: Layout Link will no longer unduly trigger when exiting the Tuner.

FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now stop flashing when the preset is changed by any means other than an FC footswitch (editor, front panel, etc.)

FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now flash consistently when used with Bank: Select switches.

FC: Preset: Toggle in Bank now consistently and correctly loads the "Primary" preset after changing the bank.

FC: Removed "PREVIOUS" from Bank: Select function as it was replaced by "2nd Press = Previous Bank"

Various other fixes and improvements.
Thanks so much for your hard work!

Just done the update and my imagination is telling me that this firmware feels amazing under my fingers, though the bass is sometimes overwhelming! Thump seems less subtle with the guitar volume playing with fingers. Visceral or even tactile. Mabye I need to do an A/B but I don't care, I like what my imagination is telling me. Nice problems too have and thanks Fractal :D

I have a probably dumb question. Over my long history, have typically used multiple speakers (two or four) in my cabs. Here’s my question: what is the designer-intended thump control setting for a four-Greenback cab IR for a 100W plexi model?
I suspect you are overthinking it. It’s a subtle effect which makes sense because it’s sub-sonic. With headphones I can hear a bit more kick so I think I’ll have to set up my rig and turn it up to notice a difference.

Set it to 2.5 - 5, turn up the volume and mess with it. Adjust based on the release notes:

For a speaker cab with 4x25 watt speakers being hit by a 100 watt amp, I’d use 5 if it’s a lead tone on a dimed amp. Of course, if the preset is clean or ambient that wouldn’t make sense because you’re not hitting the speakers with the full power of the amp, so 2.5 or lower seems more appropriate.

I am 73 years old retired.
Before the AX FX, I used the Roland VG-99.
Since I played all kinds of music, the VG-99 covered my guitar needs. I was happy with it. I loved it too.
4 years ago the stage technician was fucking how old this VG-99 is! Why don't I buy something modern.
I started to find out about the internet.
I don't know how ?? !! "But I ended up with Fractal Audio."
I saw Cooper Carter's presentation! "" I was amazed at the beauty I heard.
I knew right away that I needed it.
Well, I'm here now and I'm very happy with my choice!
I'm proud of it!
Because the most important thing for me is if someone can hear my guitar voice, they can only praise it!
Since I didn't learn to play music, I just jumped on the guitar!
I can't play guitar, I just love to play guitar!
And I have an important slogan! Good stuff !! -Half knowledge!
I'm sorry to talk a lot.
But it brought a lot of new developments out of me!
But it could be that I’m getting older and I’m starting to get sentimental!

Back
Top Bottom