Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.01 Public Beta (Beta 2)

With all due HUGE respect, just trying to understand, what does that mean?

That monitors actually will reproduce subsonics, our rooms will handle them well, and that they really do belong in a mix?

Maybe what it means is that describing this as affecting subsonics is shorthand for something harder to explain, and that I understand nothing of this.
I think it means that, being nonlinear (aka distortion), it generates harmonics that reach the range which monitors are able to reproduce

I know this has been said before and maybe it's worth it's own thread but I would really like to have option for setting different Power amp Output settings per Output i.e. for those of us who go Output 1 "FRFR" with Cab block to FOH and Output 2 "SS Pwr Amp+Cab" without Cab Block to a traditional backline setup.
Seems overkill and unneeded. I tweak my amp block and presets, for my final tone, then send to out1, 2, etc. I use the output knob, on the AXE, to send what's needed to out 1 and 2. I have PEQ blocks right before the out blocks to make any on the fly adjustments. I use this method because I want the same tone going to both outputs.

Seems overkill and unneeded. I tweak my amp block and presets, for my final tone, then send to out1, 2, etc. I use the output knob, on the AXE, to send what's needed to out 1 and 2. I have PEQ blocks right before the out blocks to make any on the fly adjustments. I use this method because I want the same tone going to both outputs.

Different needs, different use cases.

I know this has been said before and maybe it's worth it's own thread but I would really like to have option for setting different Power amp Output settings per Output i.e. for those of us who go Output 1 "FRFR" with Cab block to FOH and Output 2 "SS Pwr Amp+Cab" without Cab Block to a traditional backline setup.

About your request:

This indeed has been asked and answered before in threads, but it's not possible. If the Amp block would allow multiple (different) PA signals, it would increase CPU usage by the amp modeling a lot. Also, all other blocks would have to be adapted too, to be able to differentiate and process multiple signals simultaneously, probably doubling CPU usage.

Possible Bug? When I turn P.A. modelling off for the JM45 model (and turn amp block level down to compensate for higher volume with no P.A. active) I'm getting stuttering on hard strums even though output1 shows no clipping (like the amp block is clipping internally) - see attached preset scene1. Seems to happen with non-master volume amps (tried a few). Sometimes adjusting master volume down resolves it (JM45-Scene 2 in attached preset), but not always (ie AC20 - Scene 4).

Attachments

• STUTTER.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Installed. Tried messing with the Speaker Thump but don't really hear any difference. I even tried adding a Real Time Analyzer to see if there was any difference and it seemed to stay identical frequency-wise. I must be missing something!
while working in the patch and adjusting the Thump control it doesn't seem to work but try saving the same patch with and without the Thump engaged. Do one with the Thump around 2.5 and one at zero. Now toggle between the two patches and you will notice a huge difference. To me with the Thump off the tone sounds a little distant and fuzzy but with the Thump on the tone sounds more upfront and realistic. Definitely a different sound and feel.

Possible Bug? When I turn P.A. modelling off for the JM45 model (and turn amp block level down to compensate for higher volume with no P.A. active) I'm getting stuttering on hard strums even though output1 shows no clipping (like the amp block is clipping internally) - see attached preset scene1. Seems to happen with non-master volume amps (tried a few). Sometimes adjusting master volume down resolves it (JM45-Scene 2 in attached preset), but not always (ie AC20 - Scene 4).
Do you have speaker thump turned up?

Do you have speaker thump turned up?
that's it! - good call! with P.A. off, on some amps any bit of speaker thump will cause stuttering - turning it off solved the stuttering but still seems strange that it does that with P.A. off - maybe I missed something in the notes but I didn't think any speaker page parms were active with P.A. off. Anyway - all good with Thump now off.

Thanks!

that's it! - good call! with P.A. off, on some amps any bit of speaker thump will cause stuttering - turning it off solved the stuttering but still seems strange that it does that with P.A. off - maybe I missed something in the notes but I didn't think any speaker page parms were active with P.A. off. Anyway - all good with Thump now off.

Thanks!
Probably the signal coming out the preamp and reaching the speaker thump algorithm is, for some reason, higher than that of the power amp?

I think all speaker related parameters should be disabled when turning off the power amp sim indeed

Probably the signal coming out the preamp and reaching the speaker thump algorithm is, for some reason, higher than that of the power amp?

I wonder if the speaker related parameters shouldn't be disabled when turning off the power amp sim?
most seem to be automatically disabled w P.A. off but I notice Thump and Spkr Drive are still active. No big deal for me - just have to remember to set those to 0 in patches that go thru my tube amp returns w P.A. off. 👍

The existence and/or importance of a parameter whose main effect is subsonic is super confusing to me.
  • Pretty much no monitoring will reproduce anything that low
  • The behavior of a listening room down there is difficult to measure and control, and isn't a likely criteria in room design or construction
  • It's common practice to highpass guitar signals at for example 80 Hz if not higher, to conserve power amp headroom
  • We've been told repeatedly that guitars in a mix don't belong in the deep registers, we should leave that to kick and bass, and that's talking about low audible ranges, much less subsonic
This whole concept is super weird to me. Which probably just means I have no clue about anything. (I also almost never do betas, so I haven't heard it.)
Here’s another way to look at this… if you push too much low end into a speaker and it distorts, everything coming out of the speaker distorts, not just the low frequencies.

Wow! Thank you Cliff and your whole team for making such amazing gear! This is why I went with Fractal, and also why I finally got an AXE-FX III - the consistent fixes, updates, and killer tones that keep getting better with each new firmware release! THANK YOU!!

The speaker stuff should be disabled when P.A. is off but it's not. I will fix that for the next release.
Is there a user scenario with a tube amp going into pretty clean / high headroom speaker cab in which speaker nonlinearities might be fun to be able to have engaged or tweaked to taste?

Or said another way, if the "speaker effects" don't rely on the amp modeling logic directly, could they be switched on/off independently, e.g. globally?

Is it feasible to do the same with the FRFR <> SS PA + Cab parameter?
Agree, yet maybe a global "speaker effects" on/off switch could be more flexible whether PA or SS PA+Cab is on or off?

Or said another way, if the "speaker effects" don't rely on the amp modeling logic directly, could they be switched on/off independently, e.g. globally?
with P.A. off, the thump / and speaker drive (even a little) were completely unusable imo at least on non MV models (nothing like with P.A. on) - signficant stuttering / drop-outs - see my sample preset above.

Back
Top Bottom