Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00

The new Speaker Breakup parameter is pretty cool. Would love to know more about how it works and why I'd use soft, medium or hard. Of course at the end of the day, "whatever sounds best" but I just love learning about how these things translate to real-world amps.

While we're on the subject of speaker breakup, speaker drive, speaker compression, ect...Would these parameters be counterproductive/redundant if you were using any kind of real world speaker with the Axe? Wouldn't a traditional cab or even FRFR system introduce it's own speaker compression/breakup/drive, ect? Someone please school me and be as verbose as humanly possible. :grinning:

@deathbyguitar (Better) SS/FRFR systems try to minimize most/all of those speaker/cab effects, so feel free to dial them in to taste.

Traditional cab w SS become a bit of a gray area, while a full tube amp + cab would be piling on those effects (which still can serve a purpose). But it depends on the details of what kind of amp and cab if those nonlinearities are significant.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.C
I don't post much, but just wanted to express my gratitude to FAS for FW20. It's made guitars I previously didn't gel with simply come alive like never before. Loving how speaker comp on 2 or 4 brings a level of tightness and clarity to high gain presets that my own tweaking never found. I A/B'd a lot between FW19.08 and FW20, and the dynamic distortion is a game-changer for me. Just for fun I ran two dyn dist blocks (depth and mid boosts) in parallel in front of my amp block and I was speechless. It's making me re-calibrate my brain on what this system can do. Thanks!
Thank you @macky I tried this and liked it best as it sounds good and I can use it in front of both the SS and FRFR paths; I use two amp blocks, one for real and another for FRFR cabs.

One thing I've noticed is some comb filtering and was wondering how best to address it?

Loving the speaker drive around 2-4. Great addition.

The dynamic drive is awesome in the studio. I love running guitars and basses through a subtle saturation pass with things like Soundtoys Decapitator and this is somewhere in that ball park.

Would love something like Waves Maxxbass or Rbass to be included as well in the future. They really help to fatten things up especially on bass.

Once again, thanks to @FractalAudio for constantly making the Axe Fx a better product with each update.

Working on some presets for a buddy of mine and he wants a slap back delay, what do you guys usually use for that? Liking this firmware!

I use bypass on occasion, but mostly I use a pair of Volpans, in front of the amps. The amp blocks' self noise is quieter than the small amount of self noise from the SpaceStationXL, even with high gain models....
Yes indeed, I've done amp sound and acoustic sim switching and cross-fading via Vol/Pan or Mixer blocks since the Ultra, smooth and quiet!

Back
Top Bottom