Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00

hello to everyone. I just updated...to my surprise my FC-12 doesn't seem to have any control over the Axe-fx3 anymore.
On the main LCDscreen of the FC12, I see the name of my preset in use, but on the mini LCD's, there is no inscription. Everything is blank, I can't change the presets from the FC12 either. Has anyone had the problem too? Did I miss the information of an update concerning the FC-12 or of a manipulation to be done after the installation of FW 20.00??

Thanks for your help

I did not have to do anything special when I updated to FW20. Do you have a backup of your layouts? If so, I would try installing that. Also, restarting the system can sometimes resolve such issues. Be sure to check your cable as well by trying another one just to make sure. Things can happen at the same time out of pure coincidence.

hello to everyone. I just updated...to my surprise my FC-12 doesn't seem to have any control over the Axe-fx3 anymore.
On the main LCDscreen of the FC12, I see the name of my preset in use, but on the mini LCD's, there is no inscription. Everything is blank, I can't change the presets from the FC12 either. Has anyone had the problem too? Did I miss the information of an update concerning the FC-12 or of a manipulation to be done after the installation of FW 20.00??

Thanks for your help
Happened to me too. You have to reinstall your layouts.

Reactions: J.C
I had this problem some months ago after some resets, and I was able to get it to work again by unplugging and replugging the XLR to the FC12 with the Axe on.

For the new Speaker Breakup control, I feel like my ideal would be somewhere between the medium and soft. It would be cool if this was a wider range control (like 0.0-10.0).

Happened to me too. You have to reinstall your layouts.
Hmmm I had a similar problem which resolved going to version 20. I was on one of the 19s and my fc-6 stopped responding to switch presses and had only partial display. The colors weren't working etc.

I tried plugging / unplugging the controller and a few other ideas with no success. I just updated axe edit and firmware to version 20 and my fc-6 started up back to normal.

May just be my ears are off, but does it seem like since FW 20 all the amps sound like they have a treble cap on? Everything sounds "greasy" and less defined and a bit off. I tried a few different models and cabs with no good luck.

NOTE: THIS FIRMWARE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF AXE-EDIT. A NEW VERSION OF AXE-EDIT IS REQUIRED FOR USE WITH THIS VERSION.

NOTE: If you installed firmware 20.00 beta 4, you may find that some FC effect switches are now mapped to the wrong effects. For example, a switch that was set to bypass REVERB 1 may now bypass AMP 1 instead. This release prevents this problem from occurring you are upgrading from 19.x or older.

If you installed 20.00 beta 4, however, this will have already modified your layouts, so you will need to either restore them from a backup, or adjust the individual switches manually. Layouts can be restored using a "System" backup from Fractal-Bot, or a "Layouts" file from Axe-Edit. If you'd rather reset to the factory default FC layouts, find this under SETUP> FC Controllers> Reset.

I appreciate the firmware improvements and updates but it is diffucult to keep track this way. I dont even know what version to install right now or what to look for after installing. Does this mean i just go to the latest one? or to a prior beta or a prior non-beta? I would not know what yields the safest upgrades with the fewest issues because I do not have the back end logic as the company does to know for sure. There are too many firmware releases and betas and things to look out for. As end users we just need smooth transitions to new firmware and we usually just like to update our firmware when there is enough major stuff to have the incentive to take the risk to do so in terms of risking preset change issues. With that being said can you please advise on which one to go to from 19.05? Direct to the latest or a step in between? more upgrade with all steps in between?

I appreciate the firmware improvements and updates but it is diffucult to keep track this way. I dont even know what version to install right now or what to look for after installing. Does this mean i just go to the latest one? or to a prior beta or a prior non-beta? I would not know what yields the safest upgrades with the fewest issues because I do not have the back end logic as the company does to know for sure. There are too many firmware releases and betas and things to look out for. As end users we just need smooth transitions to new firmware and we usually just like to update our firmware when there is enough major stuff to have the incentive to take the risk to do so in terms of risking preset change issues. With that being said can you please advise on which one to go to from 19.05? Direct to the latest or a step in between? more upgrade with all steps in between?
never understand this type comment - a list of changes is published with every release. Upgrades are optional.

latest general release is always best imo, with a full backup before upgrading so u can restore back if needed / wanted. As with any device / software, install betas only if you want to help with testing and/or willing to accept a higher risk of beta oriented issues.

Last edited:
Would like to report a bug. Although in this case of a firmware update its a fix. But a strange situation.

So my unit has the tendency to throw presets out of whack when i try to change blocks on presets involving a pitch shifter. sometimes modifying the location of blocks namely output blocks. or even when the Unit CPU is too high i think past 85 percent. What ends up happening is that the pitch shifter starts sounding a bit more like an organ in a phasing way. but by updating the firmware to the lastest FW it returned my preset the way it was supposed to sound again.

Would like to report a bug. Although in this case of a firmware update its a fix. But a strange situation.

So my unit has the tendency to throw presets out of whack when i try to change blocks on presets involving a pitch shifter. sometimes modifying the location of blocks namely output blocks. or even when the Unit CPU is too high i think past 85 percent. What ends up happening is that the pitch shifter starts sounding a bit more like an organ in a phasing way. but by updating the firmware to the lastest FW it returned my preset the way it was supposed to sound again.
ideally post a preset of the issue occuring, but I wouldn't recommend reverting your fw just to do that.

Sorry, this preset is highly classified.

As before you are asking others to invest time helping you solve an issue of yours (which seems to be user error: too high CPU), but you refuse to share info or your preset, because of its “secrets”, and don’t want to read manuals. That’s enough ground for me to put you on Ignore.

As before you are asking others to invest time helping you solve an issue of yours (which seems to be user error: too high CPU), but you refuse to share info or your preset, because of its “secrets”, and don’t want to read manuals. That’s enough ground for me to put you on Ignore.

Ok so then howbout i tell you what pickups i use too?

Its fine i will take my chances.

There is just ain issue with the pitch shifter block sometimes getting tossed out of phase with this wierd feedback and artifacts throughtout several frequencies accumulating which a firmware update resets to fresh as it should sound. i have confimred this numerous times. it has occured with the quad chromatic variation of the pitch block.

ive read like 130 pages into the manual. Im sorry if i havent been able to read the blocks guide as well. I only use these things as a reference if I dont understand something then i go read it. Manuals are to me references. Im not reporting anything manual-related and you havent shown me how I am. i try to stay below 83 percent resources because i know it tends to overload the unit. Iwas already aware of that.

If you can't help out because I refuse to share a patch then that is your choice. But Im sorry i cannot share that patch. I can share any other patch but not that one.

May just be my ears are off, but does it seem like since FW 20 all the amps sound like they have a treble cap on? Everything sounds "greasy" and less defined and a bit off. I tried a few different models and cabs with no good luck.
There's something. Almost like a high end tweeter has been added to my sound a little. Strange, I just thought it was my ears that are getting older or my CLR'S were acting up. 🤔

Last edited:
If you can't help out because I refuse to share a patch then that is your choice. But Im sorry i cannot share that patch. I can share any other patch but not that one.
no one asked u to share any secret presets afai've seen. I suggesteded you share "a" preset that demonstrates the issue. So what's the deal here?

Back
Top Bottom