Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00

Report: when two Amp blocks are placed in series, with one engaged and the other bypassed, switching channels on the bypassed block creates short gaps in the audio. Is this to be expected?

Last edited:
Report: after upgrading the firmware to v20.00, SPEAKER BREAKUP in my "global" Amp blocks is set to "Soft" instead of the default "Medium" value.

Last edited:
Report: when two Amp blocks are placed in series, with one engaged and the other bypassed, switching channels on the bypassed block creates short gaps in the audio. Is this to be expected?

Dude, yes. This is something I’ve discovered during my gapless testing some time ago; it’s not firmware dependent. The unit seems to be preparing itself for the bypassed block to be used at any moment, so switching for any block that would normally cause a gap will still cause a gap in bypass state. For me, when I go gapless, I avoid Channel on any Amp Block, irrespective of bypass state. You don’t have to be as extreme about it as I am, of course; you can just plan your Scenes to avoid switching bypassed Channels for your purposes, contextually to the song or however you like to do it when improvising.

The way I look at it is real world switching: If you were switching the channels of two amps at once in the real world but only heard one of them, you’d still see the switch on the muted amp, of course, so it’s still happening in the most real world way in the unit; it’s still using the processing power to make that bypassed Channel switch, even though intuitively I’d expect it not to be affected audible in an computer, i.e., I’d think it would be programmed not to use processing power at all until it was unbypassed.

I tested this some time ago by setting up two Amp Blocks, keeping the one I was playing on Channel A for all Scenes, and bypassing the other one but having it change Channels for each of the first four Scenes. The gap appeared and I saw how the reasoning was programmed to it.

I should add that I also never use bypasses at all when I program for avoiding gaps, for what it’s worth. In my testing I found bypasses also to be audible dependent on what’s being switched.

I should add that I also never use bypasses at all when I program for avoiding gaps, for what it’s worth. In my testing I found bypasses also to be audible dependent on what’s being switched.
I use bypass on occasion, but mostly I use a pair of Volpans, in front of the amps. The amp blocks' self noise is quieter than the small amount of self noise from the SpaceStationXL, even with high gain models....

I use bypass on occasion, but mostly I use a pair of Volpans, in front of the amps. The amp blocks' self noise is quieter than the small amount of self noise from the SpaceStationXL, even with high gain models....
Hi!
"Volpans, in front of the amps" - may I ask how you use it?
Because I may have been looking for this solution for a long time!
If it's not a secret? ;)
Thanks!

Possible bug... when I change stand in switch 1 single tap it changes layout 2 view 2 switch 8 as well. Same happens when I change layout switch, it changes my stand in function.
Good talking with you today, @InsideOut
Happy to report that your issue was not a bug. In fact, Stand-in Switch 1 actually WAS assigned to Layout 2 switch 8. Since you need that location now, you moved it to a different switch.

Report: after upgrading the firmware to v20.00, SPEAKER BREAKUP in my "global" Amp blocks is set to "Soft" instead of the default "Medium" value.
Thanks for the heads up on this Alexander - I checked my global amps and found the same as you did - all set to soft. Thanks!

Reactions: yek
Good talking with you today, @InsideOut
Happy to report that your issue was not a bug. In fact, Stand-in Switch 1 actually WAS assigned to Layout 2 switch 8. Since you need that location now, you moved it to a different switch.
World-class support Matt! Thank you so much and it was great "seeing" you again :cool:

I’m checking this as soon as I get home. I reported in a previous comment that I didn’t hear a difference with this parameter. I wonder if this global setting would override it for me

Hi!
"Volpans, in front of the amps" - may I ask how you use it?
Because I may have been looking for this solution for a long time!
If it's not a secret? ;)
Thanks!
I use them to select which amp block is used at a given time. One is open when the other is closed. Simply add a modifier to the volume on each, set both to listen to the same controller pedal or switch or scene controller, and set the min and max values opposite each other.

If using a controller pedal and fading from clean to dirty, linear taper works great for the clean amp, while a Log 20 taper is usually my initial choice for the dirty amp, depending on how dirty it is. This keeps the middle of the transition from being louder than either end.

More gain->lower taper, so if you are fading from clean to a really dirty shred, you might try Log 15 or even Log 10. 😉

I use them to select which amp block is used at a given time. One is open when the other is closed. Simply add a modifier to the volume on each, set both to listen to the same controller pedal or switch or scene controller, and set the min and max values opposite each other.

If using a controller pedal and fading from clean to dirty, linear taper works great for the clean amp, while a Log 20 taper is usually my initial choice for the dirty amp, depending on how dirty it is. This keeps the middle of the transition from being louder than either end.

More gain->lower taper, so if you are fading from clean to a really dirty shred, you might try Log 15 or even Log 10. 😉
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom