Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #5 (Beta_4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just played for over an hour...sounds and works wonderful on my patches/settings. Love the new flanger options. The only thing I noticed is the Volume block does not reset to 10.00 when I change patches (it sets to something like 9.54), even though it sound like it's on 10.00 when my volume pedal is fully engaged.

Thanks Cliff! Love the Trem / Flanger updates! Happy New Year!

AXE-FX III FIRMWARE 11.02 FLANGER UPDATE

1. The Delay parameter on the Basic page has been replaced by a "Manual" knob. It functions the same as a typical
pedal/rack flanger. To manually control the flanging set Depth to zero. The sensitivity of the Manual control is
inversely proportional to Depth and the Manual control is disabled when Depth is maximum.

2. The Depth control mixes the LFO and Manual controls. When Depth is minimum the delay time is controlled
entirely by Manual. When Depth is maximum the delay time is controlled solely by the LFO.

3. There are now separate Minimum Time and Maximum time parameters. These set (not unsurprisingly) the
minimum and maximum delay time when the Depth is at maximum and Manual is at minimum. These are updated
when the type is changed. The Flanger block now allows minimum delay times as short as 340 microseconds. If
one of the Thru-Zero modes is selected the dry path is delayed accordingly resulting in a net minimum delay time
of zero.

4. The "Focus" parameter cuts the bass in the wet path but unlike a low cut compensates the dry path so the net
frequency response is flatter.

5. There are three "VCO Curve" types. Linear yields a linear delay time vs. LFO. Exponential gives an exponential
response which can be more "musical" because the notches will move more linearly with the logarithm of
frequency. Square-law is sort of in-between and is what the old A/DA flanger used.

6. The "Exponent" parameter controls the exponent for the Exponential type. A value of 1.0 is "ideal" and results
in the notches sweeping linearly with log(frequency). Higher values cause the delay time to dwell at shorter times
and then increase rapidly towards the longer times. Lower values cause the delay time to dwell at longer times.

7. There are five new types based on classic pedals. The MXF-117 is based on the MXR 117, the BBF-2 is based on
the Boss BF-2, the Electric Mystery and Deluxe Mystery are based on the Electric Mistress and the D/AD 185 is
based on the aforementioned A/DA flanger.

8. There are two Thru-Zero modes: AUTO and MANUAL. AUTO automatically adjusts the thru-zero so that the
zero-point is mid-sweep regardless of the Manual value. MANUAL is intended to replicate manual tape flanging.
To use MANUAL set the Depth to zero and vary the Manual control to simulate pressing on the tape flange. If Dry
Delay is 50% the zero-point on the Manual control is 5.0. Lower values of Dry Delay will shift the zero-point down
and vice-versa. Set Thru-Zero to MANUAL and attach an expression pedal to the Manual parameter for the
"Ultimate Tape Flanger".

9. The LFO Monitor graph allows monitoring the LFO waveform in real time. Note that for some models the LFO
waveform will be distorted due to the nonlinear filtering that occurs. This tends to make a triangle wave look like
something in between a sine wave and a sawtooth.

www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/11p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_11p02_beta4.zip

A description of the Flanger changes here:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/11p0/flanger.pdf

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Thank you Cliff and FAS. I never cease to be amazed at the speed of fixes and provision of extra goodies. The integrity of the company gives confidence in its products. Other companies could learn lots of lessons in customer support and satisfaction. Thanks again.

Woah, the Step Flanger type is SICK! Love the LFO monitor too. Can't wait to explore some more.

There's a bug with the delay block high cut slope/low cut slope - adjusting low cut slope changes the high cut slope and vice versa.

Last edited:
As a note, whenever I change presets on Axe Edit, I see the Edit light come on (no changes or scene changes).
I get this, too.
The previously implemented Speaker Impedance Curves include a global parameter that updates presets to use the correct default on loading.

Either turn that off or save the presets with the SIC of your choice.

The previously implemented Speaker Impedance Curves include a global parameter that updates presets to use the correct default on loading.

Either turn that off or save the presets with the SIC of your choice.
I had already updated these presets with their correct curve. I updated from 11.02b2.

What happens if you set the global parameter to Off?
Then it doesn’t show the presets as edited. I’m fine with that, it works, but these had been edited after FW11.0, so I figured that parameter shouldn’t pertain to these presets.
Other than that, all is well.

I had some fun playing with the new flanger....

Video in before @2112 :D

Guitar used for recording: PRS SE Standard 24 with series/parallel switches replacing the coil cut. Bridge pickup. Running in parallel mode puts it right in the middle of spanky-clean Fender-ish tones and retains the humbucking effect....

Last edited:
Then it doesn’t show the presets as edited. I’m fine with that, it works, but these had been edited after FW11.0, so I figured that parameter shouldn’t pertain to these presets.
Other than that, all is well.
Did you save them after editing?

Based on the behavior you're describing, it doesn't sound like it... But maybe there's a legitimate bug?

I had some fun playing with the new flanger....

Video in before @2112 :D

Guitar used for recording: PRS SE Standard 24 with series/parallel switches replacing the coil cut. Bridge pickup. Running in parallel mode puts it right in the middle of spanky-clean Fender-ish tones and retains the humbucking effect....

That sounds glorious! Envelope attached to the rate and feedback?

That sounds glorious! Envelope attached to the rate and feedback?
Yes. Exactly that. Gets out of the way when you're playing, but as the note fades, it gets swirly/chewy/flangey. :) In this example, the flange itself is used rather subtly, but gives that extra little bit of "juice" and "action" that puts the thing over the top.

Gotta say, as great as the relatively low-output 85-15 'buckers in my PRS sound in series, they sound almost better in parallel. Nice depth in the lows, and clarity for days. I guess I'm just a low-output pickup kind of guy....

Preset: 6G12BuddaDog.syx

Last edited:
What happens if you set the global parameter to Off?
Whenever you write information to a preset, you've edited it — even if you wrote the same information that was already there.

Your Axe-Fx is set to update the speaker impedance curve whenever a preset is loaded. That means information gets written to the preset. It doesn't matter that it's the same information that was there before. So the "Edited" light gets turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom