Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #2

Sincere question:

Could an experiment like this explain the Doppler Effect? Does a machine perceive higher pitch in accordance with higher intensity/proximity the way the human ear does? Would the digital analyzer display this effect as we perceive it?
No. The Doppler Effect is pure physics, not a matter of perception. The waveforms actually get squished together (technical term) or stretched apart by a sound source that's moving towards or away from you.

You can read up on it if you're interested.

Sure thing. By a clear IR, I mean one that has a healthy amount of top end information like a single 57 that has a little sizzle to it. Something like a ribbon mic or certain IR producers that low pass their files won’t give you the sonic information where the most change is heard (to my ears at least).

As far as the high cut goes, I was referring to the master high cut in the Cab Block’s preamp page that defaults to 10k. Just making sure that that gets bumped up to 20k.

Maybe choose an amp that has a good amount of top end information. Choose what you like, but don’t use a darker amp like a Friedman or Atomica. I was using the USA IIC++ and the FAS Skull Crusher when I heard the difference.

In the clips below, I used the FAS Skull Crusher model with Cab #872 (4x12 Recto_New 57 B) from the stock Cabs in Factory 2. No high or low cuts in the Cab block anywhere. Lots of high end energy. The null test produced similar results (though a distorted tone will inherently produce more residual noise than a clean one) and I couldn't see any visible deviations in the spectrum when comparing snapshots of both through HOFA's spectrum analyzer. The real-time signals also overlapped perfectly when comparing them via EQ match in FabFilter Pro Q3. That said, the only discrepancy I could see was a +.1 dB difference in 11.02 Beta 2 across the entire spectrum, not just the high end. It's possible this is what people are perceiving, but 11.02 Beta 2 isn't actually brighter.

Sample 1
Sample 2

Last edited:
I have had problems with my Axe locking up. I downloaded preset 7607 from Axe Exchange and when I load it on my Axe it locks my Axe and I have to go through the process to delete the preset. Has anyone else had this problem ? I loaded it once from axe edit tools and I also downloaded it and imported with the same problem

I have had problems with my Axe locking up. I downloaded preset 7607 from Axe Exchange and when I load it on my Axe it locks my Axe and I have to go through the process to delete the preset. Has anyone else had this problem ? I loaded it once from axe edit tools and I also downloaded it and imported with the same problem

That preset uses just over 93% of the units processing power, and while it doesn't technically lock the unit up, the response time is so sluggish, it feels like it. I would avoid that one, but that's me.

Last edited:
In the clips below, I used the FAS Skull Crusher model with Cab #872 (4x12 Recto_New 57 B) from the stock Cabs in Factory 2. No high or low cuts in the Cab block anywhere. Lots of high end energy. The null test produced similar results (though a distorted tone will inherently produce more residual noise than a clean one) and I couldn't see any visible deviations in the spectrum when comparing snapshots of both through HOFA's spectrum analyzer. The real-time signals also overlapped perfectly when comparing them via EQ match in FabFilter Pro Q3. That said, the only discrepancy I could see was a +.1 dB difference in 11.02 Beta 2 across the entire spectrum, not just the high end. It's possible this is what people are perceiving, but 11.02 Beta 2 isn't actually brighter.

Sample 1
Sample 2
Thanks for taking the time to do that test! Very interesting results. I did a blind test with my phone and had my wife play both files at random and guessed right three times in a row. I think it’s the clarity of 11.02 that gives a difference in tonal perception. There’s something in the dissonance in the third chord that was the tell tale sign to my ears. I don’t have the techy words for it or even know which clip was which FW, but the difference was audible.

All that to say, your tests prove the point that the frequency response difference is minimal, and it also proves that there is an audible difference...which is a good thing when you make improvements and they can be heard. Basically, everyone wins.

Potential Bug
Not sure if this was mentioned. When I try to move more than two rows of patches in Axe Edit my outputs spike and all outputs are all red on Axe front panel. Eventually my screen will turn white. When I reboot everything is back to normal

Potential Bug
Not sure if this was mentioned. When I try to move more than two rows of patches in Axe Edit my outputs spike and all outputs are all red on Axe front panel. Eventually my screen will turn white. When I reboot everything is back to normal
What do you mean by "two rows of patches"?

Is anyone comparing firmware changes by using 2 Axe’s. Play the same signal into both. Invert the output of one. And mix together to get the difference. Is that a legitimate test framework for the curious?

Thanks for taking the time to do that test! Very interesting results. I did a blind test with my phone and had my wife play both files at random and guessed right three times in a row.

I was able to guess correctly three times in a row using the last batch of clean samples, but I couldn't identify the correct sample 10 out of 10 times, which is often considered the baseline for blind testing. If you can nail it 10 out of 10 times then you're definitely perceiving a difference. That said, I think the +.1 dB difference is audible. I've gone ahead and adjusted the levels of the samples so that they're perfectly matched. See if you can perceive a difference 10 out of 10 times now.

Last edited:
Is anyone comparing firmware changes by using 2 Axe’s. Play the same signal into both. Invert the output of one. And mix together to get the difference. Is that a legitimate test framework for the curious?

I believe you're referring to a null test. It's a legitimate methodology; however, you can do it with one Axe-Fx.

It doesn't sound brighter, there is an absence of blurry information which lets you hear the good stuff more clearly - imho

Potential Bug
I experienced the same symptoms when using AxeEdit’s preset manage to transfer the new Naked amps bank A for FW 11 which froze with the above symptoms halfway thru..however using Fractal-Bot the bank transfer was fine....
What do you mean by "two rows of patches"?

Sample 1
Sample 2

I am probably wrong , I Hear a difference .
One is slightly brighter to me
but 2 has more clarity in the mids ,and I prefer it .

so which is which I couldn't tell you. IF 2 is 11.02 then I like what Cliff has done

Thanks for taking the time to do that test! Very interesting results. I did a blind test with my phone and had my wife play both files at random and guessed right three times in a row. I think it’s the clarity of 11.02 that gives a difference in tonal perception. There’s something in the dissonance in the third chord that was the tell tale sign to my ears. I don’t have the techy words for it or even know which clip was which FW, but the difference was audible.

All that to say, your tests prove the point that the frequency response difference is minimal, and it also proves that there is an audible difference...which is a good thing when you make improvements and they can be heard. Basically, everyone wins.

Well then it must be my ears, because I can hear NO difference in those samples of Jason's. Also, I note he doesn't say which is Beta 1 and which is Beta 2. So maybe those who say they can hear a difference, especially those who think there is more top end, should state which one they think is which, then Jason can provide the answer in a day or two?

Potential Bug

I experienced these same symptoms twice when I used Axe-Edit III 1.04 to upload the temp new A bank for the Austin Buddy 1400 tone pack. I am running Windows 10 64-bit.

A user also reported the same symptoms with one of the pack’s presets.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...e-fx-iii-is-now-available.140757/post-1866750

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom