Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #2

I've just updated from 11.01 to 11.02 (beta02) and I'm getting the very loud pop in my speakers when I change presets and the 4 Output LEDs go to Red. The steps I take recreate are:
1) First I open AxeEdit and go to my preset01 which is empty
2) Use FractalBot to update to 11.02 (beta02)
3) Turn off AxeFX (as per update process)
4) Turn on (it defaults to my first preset which is a blank one. Everything is fine at this point.
5) Use the Preset+ button on my GT22 to go to preset 02 and the loud pop happens and Ouput LEDs get stuck on red

My setup is:
  • AxeFX3 connected to Atomic CLRs via Output 1
  • AxeFX3 connected to MacBook Pro via USB
  • Axe-Edit is 1.04.00
  • GT22 on latest 4.4.1 FW
  • GT22 connected using XLR6 connection
The update file I used is called axefxiii_dsp_rel_11p02_beta1.syx, I have downloaded it twice to be certain I have not accidentally gone for Beta0.

Would it help if I uploaded my presets to troubleshoot? Not sure if this is related to a setting in a preset or my global settings.

I have reverted back to 11.01 and everything is fine there.

Last edited:
The important thing to address is that this firmware sounds great. Some of us perceive it as a little brighter, others do not, and it’s fine either way. :)

@Jason Scott I listened to your test and wondered if you’d mind doing a second test where you use a distorted amp, a clear IR, and set your Cab Block’s master cuts to 20-20k. The difference may not be that apparent with clean amps and a high cut at 10k, but the change was very apparent to me (using high gain, clear IR, and 80-20k master cuts in cab block). Distortion and the full frequency spectrum reveals a lot of character that may be missed compared to a low passed clean tone and it would be interesting to see if your test results change at all.

I’m not one to say I have golden ears that can hear the difference in virtual tube changes or other subtle parameters that affect the tone, but I could hear this immediately...and I like it. If the point is that this firmware has more clarity, it makes sense that some would hear it being a little brighter. A photo with low resolution will appear warmer than the same photo with high resolution. A guitar tone high passed at 120Hz will be perceived as brighter than the same tone with no high pass even though the top end hasn’t changed. At the end of the day, if no one hears a difference, keep your patches where they are. For those who hear it a little brighter, a touch less treble or presence will get you close to where you were but with better note definition overall.

I've just updated from 11.01 to 11.02 (beta02) and I'm getting the very loud pop in my speakers when I change presets and the 4 Output LEDs go to Red. The steps I take recreate are:
1) First I open AxeEdit and go to my preset01 which is empty
2) Use FractalBot to update to 11.02 (beta02)
3) Turn off AxeFX (as per update process)
4) Turn on (it defaults to my first preset which is a blank one. Everything is fine at this point.
5) Use the Preset+ button on my GT22 to go to preset 02 and the loud pop happens and Ouput LEDs get stuck on red

My setup is:
  • AxeFX3 connected to Atomic CLRs via Output 1
  • AxeFX3 connected to MacBook Pro via USB
  • Axe-Edit is 1.04.00
  • GT22 on latest 4.4.1 FW
  • GT22 connected using XLR6 connection
The update file I used is called axefxiii_dsp_rel_11p02_beta1.syx, I have downloaded it twice to be certain I have not accidentally gone for Beta0.

Would it help if I uploaded my presets to troubleshoot? Not sure if this is related to a setting in a preset or my global settings.

Yes, need the presets.

I'm liking the improved clarity. Just curious though, have any of you hearing it as brighter tried a block reset? I know , no need to reset, but I always try it on a favorite preset when an amp or cab block change has been made, It made a difference in my placebo;)

Yes, need the presets.

Cool, just PM'd them to you (Bank A) because I 'think' I have purchased presets in there and don't want to accidentally share them all in the thread. All standard cabs, but I do use Globals so I supplied the System backup as well.

Last edited:
Is it a preset using a Hiwatt? I’m getting a pop and pegged meters on a couple of presets that use one.

Edit : in my case it seems to be if there is a Hiwatt in AMP2. The factory Mr. Gilmour Lead preset is fine, but if I copy the amp block and paste it back in anywhere else on the grid to create an AMP2 block it pops, pegs the meters and goes silent.

Last edited:
Is it a preset using a Hiwatt? I’m getting a pop and pegged meters on a couple of presets that use one.

Edit : in my case it seems to be if there is a Hiwatt in AMP2. The factory Mr. Gilmour Lead preset is fine, but if I copy the amp block and paste it back in anywhere else on the grid to create an AMP2 block it pops, pegs the meters and goes silent.

My preset defaults to a scene that has the Supremo Trem. There are a bunch of different amps on all 8 channels (i.e. both Amp blocks are used) but no Hiwatt in that preset. The symptoms you described are identical to what happens with my setup as well.

Jason Scott's experiment, posted above, should put paid to any doubts. There is NO difference in frequency response.
Sincere question:

Could an experiment like this explain the Doppler Effect? Does a machine perceive higher pitch in accordance with higher intensity/proximity the way the human ear does? Would the digital analyzer display this effect as we perceive it?

Understood the "brightness" discussion here is different, but wonder if our digital tools cannot fully explain human "perception."

Hi,

After update - when I switch patches to one of my kitchen sink patches (only around 79% CPU) I get a LOUD pop, all 4 output meters on the front of the Axe FX are maxed out, I get no sound. Changing patches to any other patch - the patch will change but the output meters remain maxed out and there is no sound.

I would post the patch, but everything is pretty much bricked when I open the offending patches, so I am not sure how to export it.

Thanks.

Hi,

After update - when I switch patches to one of my kitchen sink patches (only around 79% CPU) I get a LOUD pop, all 4 output meters on the front of the Axe FX are maxed out, I get no sound. Changing patches to any other patch - the patch will change but the output meters remain maxed out and there is no sound.

I would post the patch, but everything is pretty much bricked when I open the offending patches, so I am not sure how to export it.

Thanks.

Turn the unit off and back on.

Turn the unit off and back on.
Yes sir - If I power cycle without changing the patch, the unit starts up with the POP and it bricked as previously described. If I navigate away from the offending patch before I power cycle, it starts up normally, but navigating back to one of the offending patches has the same result.

I am basing my 79% CPU estimate on pre-update usage. Did the update result in significant CPU increase?

Thanks.

Yes sir - If I power cycle without changing the patch, the unit starts up with the POP and it bricked as previously described. If I navigate away from the offending patch before I power cycle, it starts up normally, but navigating back to one of the offending patches has the same result.

I am basing my 79% CPU estimate on pre-update usage. Did the update result in significant CPU increase?

Thanks.

Power cycle to get the AxeFX stable again and then roll back to 11.01 (or your previous FW). There will be a fix for this when Cliff sorts it out so you could try again when he releases that.

Thanks.

Browse to a different patch. Turn the unit off. Turn it back on. Once booted, click 'Tools' at the top of Axe-Edit and select 'Axe-Manage Presets' from the dropdown list. Find the offending preset in the list, right-click it and select Export.

Browse to a different patch. Turn the unit off. Turn it back on. Once booted, click 'Tools' at the top of Axe-Edit and select 'Axe-Manage Presets' from the dropdown list. Find the offending preset in the list, right-click it and select Export.
Thanks. Patch attached.

Overall I think the update sounds awesome and I am not losing sleep over this issue, just wanted to share in case it is helpful.

Attachments

• 249_12.18.19 PalMes WIP.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Can you clarify what you mean by clear IR?

Sure thing. By a clear IR, I mean one that has a healthy amount of top end information like a single 57 that has a little sizzle to it. Something like a ribbon mic or certain IR producers that low pass their files won’t give you the sonic information where the most change is heard (to my ears at least).

As far as the high cut goes, I was referring to the master high cut in the Cab Block’s preamp page that defaults to 10k. Just making sure that that gets bumped up to 20k.

Maybe choose an amp that has a good amount of top end information. Choose what you like, but don’t use a darker amp like a Friedman or Atomica. I was using the USA IIC++ and the FAS Skull Crusher when I heard the difference.

I think I found a bug, maybe someone can confirm. The normal volume on the Plexi 100W 1970 model doesn't do much, if anything. You can test it by turning the treble volume almost all the way down and then moving the normal volume through its range. The sound barely changes, but on the other jumpered Marshalls it works as expected.
Anyone have a chance to check this potential bug?

Sincere question:

Could an experiment like this explain the Doppler Effect? Does a machine perceive higher pitch in accordance with higher intensity/proximity the way the human ear does? Would the digital analyzer display this effect as we perceive it?

Understood the "brightness" discussion here is different, but wonder if our digital tools cannot fully explain human "perception."

The nonlinear nature of the human ear, along with unique variations in how we perceive/process temporal, spectral and phases cues makes it very difficult to emulate/model/quantify human auditory perception.

I was attempting to download a patch from AxeExchange using the latest Axe Edit and my Axe locked up. It boots but I end up with a grey screen and I can not do anything. How do I reload my axe ?

Back
Top Bottom