Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #2

Man, I just don't get all this techno lingo. I thought it sounded, ya know, kinda bluer before. Now it's got a little more green to it, like, ya know? I hope soon we got some, like, orangeness and maybe, like, ya know, like some purpleness in there too..... Peace. o_O

I just went back and forth between 11.01 and this beta several times, and for me, there is a noticeable difference with my main patch (5153 blue channel amp with bright and boost switches). I did some quick tweaking of the treble, presence, eq, etc., but still not quite as satisfying as the same preset on 11.01, where any of my guitars seemed to sound incredible through my main preset and I lose hours playing. I'm not good at describing sound, but the beta does sound brighter, and the feel is a little different for me. I had what was to me an amazing tone on 11.01, so hopefully I can eq my way back to it on the beta. I'll go at it again tomorrow when I'm fresh.

I’m not trying to be a pain in the ass, and as someone mentioned, I can just twist the knob...but several people have mentioned it.

If someone believes there's a difference(eg. new firmware), they'll often manufacture one even if it doesn't exist. That's the nature of confirmation bias.

Cliff just stated above that the changes could be perceived as brightness.

I took the liberty of reamping a DI guitar through firmware 11.01 as well as the latest firmware. I recorded each reamped DI to separate tracks and inverted the phase on one of them. The result? The residual noise was approx. -50 dB down. Then I compared the two using HOFA's IQ Analyzer, and from what I could see, the spectrums overlapped perfectly. No noticeable difference in the high end. Below are the samples. Can you tell which one is which?

Sample 1
Sample 2

Last edited:
I just went back and forth between 11.01 and this beta several times, and for me, there is a noticeable difference with my main patch (5153 blue channel amp with bright and boost switches). I did some quick tweaking of the treble, presence, eq, etc., but still not quite as satisfying as the same preset on 11.01, where any of my guitars seemed to sound incredible through my main preset and I lose hours playing. I'm not good at describing sound, but the beta does sound brighter, and the feel is a little different for me. I had what was to me an amazing tone on 11.01, so hopefully I can eq my way back to it on the beta. I'll go at it again tomorrow when I'm fresh.
Exactly my experience.

Cliff just stated above that the changes could be perceived as brightness.

does perception equate to reality though?

Ever pulled into a parking spot, stepped on the brake, and had the car next to you back up ? Sure gives the perception that your moving forward, so you probably jam on the brake harder, but obviously your not technically moving anywhere.

so if someone perceived brighter does that mean it’s brighter or it should be tweaked to account for those perceptions ?

or do you leave it alone if you know technically nothing changed, and maybe most don’t perceive a difference at all?

I guess ultimately it comes down to how much one trust their own ears, while realizing they can be fooled into hearing/perceiving things that may not actually be there.

Jason Scott's experiment, posted above, should put paid to any doubts. There is NO difference in frequency response.

Jason Scott's experiment, posted above, should put paid to any doubts. There is NO difference in frequency response.

The samples didn't null 100%, so there's at least some difference, but the residual noise is so low and spread across the spectrum that any differences are negligible to the point of irrelevance. I mean, even when switching between the samples blindly in my DAW, I wasn't able to consistently guess which is which. That doesn't mean someone else can't, but some people are acting like there's a notable difference. I'd invite anyone who thinks they can hear a difference to try their hand at guessing which sample is which.

Last edited:
I would not describe it as "brighter". It is actually more unveiled and unbosomed. It reveals the textures with wider granularity and bounteous accuracy.

Wether you perceive that as positive or negative will depend on how much your soul is willing to expose the intimacy of your tone

Last edited:
In other words: Cliff has provided a couple of extra bits to expand the dynamic room of the preamp. If you feel shy in a larger room, pump down the tone pot ;)

Hi all

now on 11.02 B1 : just tested on FAS amps rythm, crunch, hot rod, super tweed.
Found it with a bit more "smooth - tubish - agressive" top end. really excellent as it makes the amps more alive and pleasant to play... so not a placebo for me.
So thanks again Cliff & the team to make this device so alive. A reference for other companies. Period.

If someone believes there's a difference(eg. new firmware), they'll often manufacture one even if it doesn't exist. That's the nature of confirmation bias.

I took the liberty of reamping a DI guitar through firmware 11.01 as well as the latest firmware. I recorded each reamped DI to separate tracks and inverted the phase on one of them. The result? The residual noise was approx. -50 dB down. Then I compared the two using HOFA's IQ Analyzer, and from what I could see, the spectrums overlapped perfectly. No noticeable difference in the high end. Below are the samples. Can you tell which one is which?

Sample 1
Sample 2

Hearing through the phone speaker I say sample 1 is more compressed and 2 more dynamic.

That test won’t work for me as I’ll blame my phone speakers or just luck anyway, but I swear I can hear the difference :tearsofjoy:

Hearing through the phone speaker I say sample 1 is more compressed and 2 more dynamic.

That test won’t work for me as I’ll blame my phone speakers or just luck anyway, but I swear I can hear the difference :tearsofjoy:

I listened through my Bose speakers, and I couldn't hear any difference between those two at all - zero, zip, zilch. So that could be

1. My computer and the compression of the transmission
2. My Bose speakers
3. My borked ears
4. Or - there really IS no difference.

And of course - let's face it: if the difference really exists, but is so minute that only "golden ears" can hear it - is there any point in arguing about it at all, when you overlay room acoustics, the rest of the band, and the fact that not one single person in an audience is going to say "I think I can hear a few Hertz extra on the top end of that guitar that weren't there when I heard them playing last week"...?

LOL @ everybody putting up their dukes. There's a noticeable difference which people are using different language to describe. It's better. After playing with Austinbuddy's new tweaks, I think it may be a lot better.

Better dynamics makes the playing different. It gives you more ways at hand to express different shades just with your hands and the pickup switch and volume and tone knobs. There an interaction between player and amp.
I doubt that you notice much when running it with a looper.

Back
Top Bottom