Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.02 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if it's possible to have some text in say axe edit when the models of certain things are selected making the user aware of little things like this......for eg

-User selects JMP-pre1, a little note above says tone stack is fixed and tone controls do nothing

-User selects 2290 and a little text note is displayed above: model must be in stereo due to phase offset, or no sound will be heard

Little stuff like that can make a big difference in the overall User experience and prevent quite a bit of questions that keep repeatedly popping up

I know making little changes in the interface is tricky, but maybe a dedicated 'notes' scribble strip or something can work, even if there's no text to be displayed
Really think controls that don't do anything in the current context should be hidden or disabled.

Hello All,

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask my question: I just noticed I am running V15 on my Fx III. Obviously I'm a few revisions behind. :(

How much of a change should I expect in my presets if I upgrade to 19.02?

Is there anything special I need to do?

Thanks!

-Ro

Hello All,

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask my question: I just noticed I am running V15 on my Fx III. Obviously I'm a few revisions behind. :(

Thanks!

-Ro
I would suggest reading all the release notes for interceding versions. There are a fair number of major updates during that time.

Hi!
Anyone with an FC-12 controller with an external switch will have the same problem.
Not an individual case.
Same problem for everyone!
The external switch is working so confusingly.
I tried to experiment with the settings.
But no good results were achieved.
I think we have to wait for the software patch.
Me too big problem with external switch come back 19.01 for me

Hello All,

Thanks!

-Ro
Expect to be blown away :)

The sound changed more than what I expected from the release notes.
Some x-former match correction? So how much change is there to expect?

But it seems clearer and a bit more in the face which I like. Turning the x-former knob down reminds me of how that knob worked on earlier firmwares long ago.

I have a global feeling that I need to pump up the volume in my mixer (where the axe is in) compared to 19.01. Like everything seems quieter then before . Maybe that’s me don’t know.

Then +1 to make all the non working knob with a “ghost” appearance in axe edit

Those who continue to ask for inactive controls to be removed, please consider this. This would likely result in across the board changes, rather than individual model tweaks to remove the parameters that are inactive.

I'm one of those users who relies on the advanced parameters to dial in the tones I need. My longtime personal favorite amp is not longer usable for me due to controls deactivated due to other's doing things that aren't done in the 'real world' and complaining about the results. Fractal devices are professional grade pieces of gear and there should be an expectation that people would exercise some restraint and common sense. Just because you can do something doesn't it should be done.

The Authentic Controls all work. If you choose to go the Ideal page, there should be an understanding that you're moving away from the basic operation of an amp and delving into parameters that do/may not exist on the physical amp and some of them may not work or result in undesirable results if used.

Fractal does a great job explaining if parameters are going to be inactive or respond differently than the original when changes are made. Everyone who's discussing the inactive parameters here know which inactive parameters are being referred to. Be a professional; start a log, print out the release notes and highlight any parameter additions or deletions. I for one will continue to be vocal about dumbing down the Axe Fx. It would be a shame to see more changes that restrict its use for a majority of us.

• Added an option for “2nd Press = Previous Bank” to Bank: Select function.
  • Added an option for “2nd Press = Previous Preset” to Preset: Select function.
  • Added the option “2nd Press" to Effect: Select Channel function. The two choices are "Smart Bypass" which is a pre-existing feature, and "Previous Channel" which toggles to the previously selected channel instead.

Is it possible to have a similar 2nd press for scenes? Second press returns you to the previous scene.

Strongly agree. There are enough bewildering controls in any case; no need to also have knobs that can be turned, but do nothing. The design principle should be if it's available for interaction, it does something.
I like the generic phrase "principle of least surprise", or astonishment, as in that article. Controls/apps/etc should do what you expect them to do., or put differently, they should communicate what they WILL do.

Nobody wants to tweak knobs trying to figure out if they actually have an effect, it's a somewhat embarrassing waste of time. There are enough controls that DO do something where I'm not sophisticated enough to fully understand the effect, so I think I hear something maybe.

If the UI frameworks used in Axe-Edit and the various firmwares can't easily accomplish that in this case, of course we'll be fine, but it's a bit surprising, since UI elements are shown and hidden and/or enabled and disabled all the time.

Those who continue to ask for inactive controls to be removed, please consider this. This would likely result in across the board changes, rather than individual model tweaks to remove the parameters that are inactive.

I'm one of those users who relies on the advanced parameters to dial in the tones I need. My longtime personal favorite amp is not longer usable for me due to controls deactivated due to other's doing things that aren't done in the 'real world' and complaining about the results. Fractal devices are professional grade pieces of gear and there should be an expectation that people would exercise some restraint and common sense. Just because you can do something doesn't it should be done.

The Authentic Controls all work. If you choose to go the Ideal page, there should be an understanding that you're moving away from the basic operation of an amp and delving into parameters that do/may not exist on the physical amp and some of them may not work or result in undesirable results if used.

Fractal does a great job explaining if parameters are going to be inactive or respond differently than the original when changes are made. Everyone who's discussing the inactive parameters here know which inactive parameters are being referred to. Be a professional; start a log, print out the release notes and highlight any parameter additions or deletions. I for one will continue to be vocal about dumbing down the Axe Fx. It would be a shame to see more changes that restrict its use for a majority of us.
Professional grade gear isn't equal to a complex and unfunctional.
Remember that also non professional hobbyists are using this device even if they don't use the full potential of it.
Saying that people should have a common sense to realize that the knobs on the JMP doesn't work is elitist and not cool.

Here’s my take on the knobs issue:

There are over 250 amp types in the Axe FX. There would have to be almost that many iterations of the look of the display and of the Axe Edit display. To me that doesn’t seem like a quick thing to implement. I don’t think it’s worth the cost of Fractal folks spending time on this for the benefit it could bring. I’d rather them be spending time on the innovation of the products.

I know this a product that hobbyists buy; I am one of those. I also think if you spend over $2,000 it’s worth diving into the product. When I first joined the Fractal world, @yek was doing daily write ups on all the amps. It was fascinating to learn about them all and got me try to things I wouldn’t have bothered with. If I want to play around with an amp I read up on it in the wiki and that’s where I will learn about various controls.

It would be a shame to see more changes that restrict its use for a majority of us
?
I don’t see where you have restrictions in knobs that don’t act ?
🤔
This is just about don’t wasting your time turning a knob that don’t do nothing. To skip these « Is it me or the sound don’t change ? » questions.

And even in authentic controls sometimes they are knobs who don’t do nothing if I remember well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom