Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.00

don't care for his schtick either, but in this case, I thought he did a descent job on the tests
There is no better test then swapping tubes in the head , recording it . And he does it .

One day I need to do a comparative video of pickups with the same amp in high gain . I think the difference will be as close as the tube swap. Maybe a little more hm? It can be cool to do it as I own many guitars with different pickups in each models

i play his videos if at all at 20% volume for that reason. but i cannot stand him anymore. He is extremely opinionated and biased towards his preferences. the other day he proclaimed qc to be the next big thing and an axe killer. lol
I agree. He is an annoying babble mouth. I saw that video. I don’t watch his childish videos anymore. Quad Cortex an Axe killer? Yeah... okay. One word... Assclown

Of course it's much easier and quicker to experiment with 'simulated' tubes, by just changing the parameters in the axe. I remember messin' around with different tubes in my (real) Vox, Marshall, Fender, Soldano etc. amps. It cost me a lot of money, time and nerves(!). One of the best improvements was the replacement of the V1 ECC83/12AX7 by a 5751 in a Fender Prosonic. The slightly lower gain resulted in a much better controllable and sonically rich lead sound. I miss that amp a lot - where is it in the Axe-Fx?

I did tube swap tests on my 1st Satriani JVM and noticed when the preamp tubes were all EHX, the amp was a little bit brighter. But on the whole, the core tone was still the amp.

I don't go in for tube hype really - JJ's are cheap enough and sound really good. So that's good enough for me. But my mate who builds p2p valve amps he's a proper tube guy, and he'd probably guffaw at me for saying the above! 🤣

I'm wrong. I'm just wrong. Here's the skinny:

What I found is that lowering the Transformer LF works with the Rumble 4x12, but with the Dirty Shirley, 1x12 USA and HiWatt, you need to raise it.
But by being wrong you have made those of us who missed the original response from Fractal audio aware of it! Just downloaded the update and going to mess with the Transformer LF a little as I often use the HiWatt and didn't know this.

But by being wrong you have made those of us who missed the original response from Fractal audio aware of it! Just downloaded the update and going to mess with the Transformer LF a little as I often use the HiWatt and didn't know this.

I didn't know much about the Legacy amp, so I was looking at the Fractal wiki page about it while dialing in some tones, and I saw that someone (I assume @yek?) posted a link to that thread in the wiki itself; it was just perfect that I happen to have just posted about that weird occurrence. Whoever is adding all these relevant and great tidbits of info on the wiki is performing a real public service. I know it's open to all to edit, but my guess it's very few who maintain it.

Something about this update makes my presets sound awesome. I know Cygnus got all the hype, but whatever happened on this one is killing it. But I will say the tuner bugged out on me just now. I'm sure it'll get resolved though.

Of course it's much easier and quicker to experiment with 'simulated' tubes, by just changing the parameters in the axe. I remember messin' around with different tubes in my (real) Vox, Marshall, Fender, Soldano etc. amps. It cost me a lot of money, time and nerves(!). One of the best improvements was the replacement of the V1 ECC83/12AX7 by a 5751 in a Fender Prosonic. The slightly lower gain resulted in a much better controllable and sonically rich lead sound. I miss that amp a lot - where is it in the Axe-Fx?
I've always heard that changing the tube closest to the input has the greatest effect. That's not always been my experience, but sometimes it has (mostly in the wrong direction... from decent [stock] to bad, haha).

I've always heard that changing the tube closest to the input has the greatest effect. That's not always been my experience, but sometimes it has (mostly in the wrong direction... from decent [stock] to bad, haha).
The tube closest to the input has the most influence on the noise level of the amp since that point gets further amplified by the rest of the circuit. You always want your quietest and least microphonic tube in that position. The input stages are not always ones that get pushed into compression and clipping though unless you use boosts in front of the amp.

Last edited:
I play since 28 years
Okay more than my age then xD
. So sometimes yes you are convinced by your own experience . I try with the time to be more light and to bring proofs better than insult people🤣. Then being this type of guy makes him famous in YouTube
Why don't you start a channel Mud sound studios. Maybe he has some competition and realizes he's crap. Would prefer hearing your tests and you talking over him anyday.

The thing which make him unbearable is although he does some good tests here and there but most of it is done because he tries to be an iconoclast of sorts to try and prove he knows more than the world , he was extremely against tone wood etc too because his a/b test couldnt help him hear the diference even when then there are many other tests online showing it does make a big difference at times.

Okay more than my age then xD

Why don't you start a channel Mud sound studios. Maybe he has some competition and realizes he's crap. Would prefer hearing your tests and you talking over him anyday.

The thing which make him unbearable is although he does some good tests here and there but most of it is done because he tries to be an iconoclast of sorts to try and prove he knows more than the world , he was extremely against tone wood etc too because his a/b test couldnt help him hear the diference even when then there are many other tests online showing it does make a big difference at times.
They are others guys doing tests, thinking of the guy from sonic drive studio (?) . Personally that’s ok to do it for the fractal community, but I prefer to play guitar only in my channel. I do some a/b sometimes but yeah … I prefer doing hommage to the bands and artists I like . Fighting all day long with YouTubers … « this is the best ! No this is the best ! … » i prefer playing

PLACEHOLDER - need to fix the video....

UPDATE:

Forgot my old FX3 presets were looking for Pedal1 to adjust the F/M compensation to the flat position. Playback sounded like refried ass. Much better now that I flattened the curve.... :D

the 300b is the black sheep 🐑 everytime . Yes in the end they are some changes but nothing crazy. You want to put me to sleep with that riff ? 🤣

I could make the difference more pronounced. As it stands I don't change the transconductance when changing tubes. The problem is if I did change the transconductance things would change dramatically if, for example, going from a 6L6 to an EL84. An EL84 has around twice the transconductance.

In a real amp you can't put EL84s in an amp designed for 6L6s.

What I change are the parameters that control the frequency response and distortion.

I could make the difference more pronounced. As it stands I don't change the transconductance when changing tubes. The problem is if I did change the transconductance things would change dramatically if, for example, going from a 6L6 to an EL84. An EL84 has around twice the transconductance.

In a real amp you can't put EL84s in an amp designed for 6L6s.

What I change are the parameters that control the frequency response and distortion.
and the transformer matching is same / unchanged right?

If so could playing with lf/hf resonance values help feel the changes better ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom