Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.00

Definitely some audible differences. But could you tell a difference in feel?
I hear more the difference in the video than with my guitar in my hands . When I swap tube and I play, most of the time I don’t really hear the difference except tube like the 300 B (the worst) . Even less with the same tube type like between the EL34 etc . That’s why recordings always helps . Cliff likes math, me sound proof 😊

I listen more the difference in the video than with my guitar in my hands . When I swap tube and I play, most of the time I don’t really hear the difference except tube like the 300 B (the worst) . Even less with the same tube type like between the EL34 etc . That’s why recordings always helps . Cliff likes math, me sound proof 😊
I’d say give your ears a rest and come back to listen to your comparison.

Cliff likes math, me sound proof 😊
Great effort with the test, but this is very subjective because people hear distortion at a different level everybody. Some people can hear and feel more difference than others. Just how all distortion sounds same to a non musician who is not used to listening to metal or rock or whatever.

Thats the thing with math it is not subjective . It is objective.Is why cliff always posts those.

Little surprised, i feel all changes alot more when i play the guitar than when i record it,the acoustic reinforcement of facing the monitors/ speakers while playig makes you enjoy and feel alot more.

did you reamp your video? or you played the riffs, each time.

🤦🥲😭. Not today . I will dream all night long about « 2 minutes of midnight » and « fight fire » already .

I choose a high gain one but with gain at 7(?) , no boost , just one cab . I choose a trebly one because I believed it will help to listen to the difference more than a dark amp . Then If someone else wants to do the same with preamp ones of with another type of sound it can be cool .
What was the power amp headroom gauge saying through these? If it was far below 0dB (lots of headroom) you weren't really pushing the output tubes hard enough to really test their behavior differences, as it is how they sort-of hold together (or not) when working hard that really separates them....

I played the riff 25 times like a robot . I ve sold my looper 3 days ago cause I am rebuying a lot of pedals again . I know it’s better with a looper but I am able to play like a bot. I was not judging him or the math , but when a machine say that there is no gain added and then you hear my other video comparaison … the theory sometimes …

I played the riff 25 times like a robot . I ve sold my looper 3 days ago cause I am rebuying a lot of pedals again . I know it’s better with a looper but I am able to play like a bot. I was not judging him or the math , but when a machine say that there is no gain added and then you hear my other video comparaison … the theory sometimes …
well done needs some patience to do that over and over again.

But just reamp the axe via usb, its easy forget your mixer for a bit, sometimes tubes react differently to playing dynamics. So using a well defined DI and reamping it, makes it alot more better and more accurate since you like making these a/b comparisons.

What I am trying to say, it s when you see these eternal debate, the money they spend for this or that tube for a « ridiculous » result in the end . When you see the difference swapping cabs or eq etc, « the tweaks are out there » like fox mulder said .
certainly not worth it with the cost attached to them fully agree, but it's free fun for us in the axe. Like i i said in a previous comment here, axe normalises the transformer ratios for all tube changes and gets a different knee voltage/hardness loaded when you change the tube.

Hence the difference is not as apparent.
but playing with bias, mismatch, bias excursion, excursion and recovery time in addition to changing the tubes its a lot lot more pronounced when you change the tubes, as all of them are somewhere or the other linked with bias volatage or grid current directly/ indirectly . End of the day these are the things that real amp makers mess with , albeit in a more complicated indirect manner than axe, to extract the most out of the tubes and the amp design.
The tubes themselves have no sound but just react to the other things in the amp ad speaker side.

Certainly most people dont need to do this when axe can get lovely tones just from the authentic /ideal page, but these are important things none the less.

Last edited:
certainly not worth it with the cost attached to them fully agree, but it's free fun for us in the axe. Like i i said in a previous comment here, axe normalises the transformer ratios for all tube changes and gets a different knee voltage/hardness loaded when you change the tube.

Hence the difference is not as apparent.
but playing with bias, mismatch, bias excursion, excursion and recovery time in addition to changing the tubes its a lot lot more pronounced when you change the tubes, as all of them are somewhere or the other linked with bias volatage directly/ indirectly . End of the day these are the things that real amp makers mess with , albeit in a more complicated indirect manner than axe, to extract the most out of the tubes and the amp design.
The tubes themselves have no sound but just react to the other things in the amp ad speaker side.

Certainly most people dont need to do this when axe can get lovely tones just from the authentic /ideal page, but these are important things none the less.
What would help would be a spreadsheet with the real-life tube plate impedance, modeled bias percentage, etc. from the modeled amps. A little math would then be able to get you a mismatch percentage (the calculation could be built into the spreadsheet) so you would know how to twist the knobs when you switch your Delux Tweed to 6L6GC or your Recto to 6AQ5 or whatever....

What would help would be a spreadsheet with the real-life tube plate impedance, modeled bias percentage, etc. from the modeled amps. A little math would then be able to get you a mismatch percentage (the calculation could be built into the spreadsheet) so you would know how to twist the knobs when you switch your Delux Tweed to 6L6GC or your Recto to 6AQ5 or whatever....
yep. the other issue is many knobs are just ratios vis a vis something on the axe, so you have to calculate further, how to get to a certain value.

You could just have used the looper block before the amp ;)

I'll post this vid - just for balance along side those 2 (then I'll run for cover)

Well . Glenn say it all . Normally I cannot stand his way of shouting everytime but here I agree .

I had the roadking for a long time . You can swap tubes in a click between el34 and 6l6 and even mix them. I was sad to hear such small difference . I believed it was more efficient than that.
But yes these goodies are fun !

i play his videos if at all at 20% volume for that reason. but i cannot stand him anymore. He is extremely opinionated and biased towards his preferences. the other day he proclaimed qc to be the next big thing and an axe killer. lol
don't care for his schtick either, but in this case, I thought he did a descent job on the tests

i play his videos if at all at 20% volume for that reason. but i cannot stand him anymore. He is extremely opinionated and biased towards his preferences. the other day he proclaimed qc to be the next big thing and an axe killer. lol
Yes sometimes I am this type of guy too, with the time and the experience acquired sometimes you just want to say « shut up I know it ». I play since 28 years … he is « old » too . So sometimes yes you are convinced by your own experience . I try with the time to be more light and to bring proofs better than insult people🤣. Then being this type of guy makes him famous in YouTube . « Ah ! That’s the guy who shout like a gran pa! »

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom