Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.02

@FractalAudio , @Admin M@
Pretty sure it’s the modeling and the presets but I have finally downloaded the latest firmware and presets and the first four fender presets sounded remarkable. #4...the double verb sounds as good as the patch I worked on for a long time. Suffice to say, the axe has improved greatly since I signed up around 2015. Thank you to all who have made this happen...much appreciated!

Earlier today, I designed and sent to Michael some new layouts for the editor's Amp block. They contain these and other missing parameters, plus some nice overall improvements. Here's a sneak peek.
View attachment 83966

Looks like the bright cap from the ideal page needs to find a new home. Maybe move input trim up next to drive or push drive into the empty space and let input trim sit there and move the four toggles and bright cap to the left :)

An example of an amp that was difficult (for me) to dial in before Cygnus. A few tweaks with the Cygnus FW and this one sounds good in my studio. Never hear anyone talking about the Spawn/Splawn amp sim as a good 80s/90s "Marshall" style amp for a hard rock tone. FC12 Layout 6/per preset layout programmed. Attached here and on AxeChange for your convenience.
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8919

Attachments

• TM Splawn 16.02.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 23
Well, I sat down tonight to try out 16.02 and all the reworked preset banks. My main guitar for years now is a Strandberg 8-string, but for trying out new firmware or presets I always take my Godin because of the HH pickups with split positions on the 5-way switch.

I did not get past the very first preset. I didn't even touch a knob in the amp block, just switched between preset scenes.
Immediately came across a new musical idea and an hour went by. After that, I added a phaser (FAS Vibe) and changed the delay (to Memory Man) just for fun and there went another 45 minutes...

I can't tell if it's the amp modeling updates in .02, or Cygnus, or just me spending some time with the black box after a very long time when I didn't, due to different reasons. Could be none or everything of the aforementioned. But I can tell I had alot of fun playing guitar. Once again :)

Happy user here throughout the Axe-Fx generations since I got my Ultra in May 2008. Wow, thirteen years, and counting.

Excuse me to repost here a demo track on another thread, but I cannot help but praise the improvement of "CLASS-A 30W" model by this update. Heavy user of the model for years but haven't been more convinced with my tone ever before. Recently I took my real AC30s out to a studio, but I was even disappointed at it not having anything more to like about than AXE's model! lol

Did you install the latest Axe-Edit III and refresh after loading the new firmware?
Yep running 1.08.14
Workaround -- I adjusted volume using preset leveling (lowered output level) and then I adjusted the volume of the other amp in the patch (twin). It is weird -- I can increase the volume -- but I can lower it only to a point as if the volume knob got stuck on 6 --- LOL.

Last edited:
Recently I took my real AC30s out to a studio, but I was even disappointed at it not having anything more to like about than AXE's model!
It's getting that the real amps are just a heck of a lot heavier to carry. The last two days I've been amazed at the sound from Cygnus and caught myself thinking I should sell my pedal board...

DOCTOR, DOCTOR! I've got THE CYGNUS!

It's getting that the real amps are just a heck of a lot heavier to carry. The last two days I've been amazed at the sound from Cygnus and caught myself thinking I should sell my pedal board...

DOCTOR, DOCTOR! I've got THE CYGNUS!
sold all of my boards-- in hindsight ... I probably should have hung on to a couple of the pedals as collectibles... but I sold them all.

Attachments

• DSCN2232.JPG
    DSCN2232.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
  • P9250001.JPG
    P9250001.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
Hey there
Keep on to those pictures, man that has got to hurt selling those?
No regrets. Either you are all in or you are not. Only did it when I was 100% sure that I was 100% all-in. all the amps (Bludotone, Rambler, 68 Twin as well as pedals) have been replaced with the AF. Less to carry, easier to set up, easier to get a great mix with -- (I go straight through PA) -- works great for my needs (we do a lot of weddings/special events).

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Late chime in to say that this firmware sounds great. I have a strat that I love (incredible rosewood neck, beautiful, plays like a dream), but it has the Tim Shaw V-Mod's, and they're super bright and a little thin, so I can never seem to find the right tone for it. I've been considering swapping the pickups out for something beefier, and still might, but right now it sounds really good with the Matchbox Chiefman 1. Great job Fractal, and thank you.

Late chime in to say that this firmware sounds great. I have a strat that I love (incredible rosewood neck, beautiful, plays like a dream), but it has the Tim Shaw V-Mod's, and they're super bright and a little thin, so I can never seem to find the right tone for it. I've been considering swapping the pickups out for something beefier, and still might, but right now it sounds really good with the Matchbox Chiefman 1. Great job Fractal, and thank you.
That’s a really bright model - you using a healthy high cut?

Back
Top Bottom