Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.02

In the latest update, the Super Reverb Normal and Super Verb Vibrato sound very strange when driven by a drive pedal. I use to be able to get excellent crunch tones with those amps, but now they have this odd resonance in the low mids that sound like a blown speaker and they no longer sound good to me with a drive pedal. I have had these presets since the Axe-FX II days and this is the first time they ever sounded this bad with an update.
I checked those models and I must've fat-fingered something when I was running the Matlab script.

Go to the Advanced menu and change the following:
Excursion Time: 5.33 ms
Recovery Time: 27.00 ms

Should fix it right up.

Small bug report:

1) rename a preset in bank a (say, number 40)
2) load new bank a presets so that 40 will be overwritten
3) note that the name of preset 40 was not changed in the master list
4) select 40 from the master list
5) note that the correct preset name will appear in axe edit written in green
6) go back to the master list, note that the incorrect name persists.

Reactions: MNG
I notice that the Speaker>LF Res Q is now affecting the resonance even when LF Resonance is set to 0. Is that a bug? It's definitely messed up all my tones, so I'm gonna roll back the FW until it gets fixed.

Edit: Rolled back to 16.00 and the LF Res Q behavior controls the Q again, and not the resonance itself. Phew!

Last edited:
Small bug report:

1) rename a preset in bank a (say, number 40)
2) load new bank a presets so that 40 will be overwritten
3) note that the name of preset 40 was not changed in the master list
4) select 40 from the master list
5) note that the correct preset name will appear in axe edit written in green
6) go back to the master list, note that the incorrect name persists.

At Preset Manage try the refresh button, at the upper right side of the window

I checked those models and I must've fat-fingered something when I was running the Matlab script.

Go to the Advanced menu and change the following:
Excursion Time: 5.33 ms
Recovery Time: 27.00 ms

Should fix it right up.

Ok, so I tried out the settings and it definitely helped. The Recovery Time sounded good at 27.00 ms but previously the Excursion Time was around 9.4 in version 16.01, I think it sounded much better and closer to before at that setting. So not sure if it is more accurate now but it changed the character of the amp with the lower Excursion Time of 5.33 ms. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I was able to get my old sound back messing with those settings.

Can You share this preset please?Sound fxxxing nice :)

I have my III in rehearsal space, but I can share my settings here :

IIC++ settings when played with Fryette PS-2 at 120-125db (pwr amp sim on, speaker impendance set to reactive load) :

I tweak only these settings, everything else set to stock values :

input drive 7.5
input trim 9.5

bass 1.25
middle 3
treble 6.5
presence 1

master volume 2
output 0 db

Mark V EQ inside amp block :
80hz +6db
240hz +2db
750hz -7db
2200hz +4db
6600hz +1.5db

input dynamics 1

On the hardware :

select Amp block > press Edit > page right to Advanced tab page.
Thank you, i thought it could be done in Axe-Edit.
The closest i can get to Cliffs suggestions is Excursion Time: 5.337 ms and Recovery time: 27.02 ms
Will that be correct?

Just fired up the III and tried 16.02 after using my FM3 a lot recently getting it ready for gigs and loving how it sounds

Safe to say the III is still the King. Just has all that extra special natural sounding something. Really like this update

Thanks Cliff

I notice that the Speaker>LF Res Q is now affecting the resonance even when LF Resonance is set to 0. Is that a bug? It's definitely messed up all my tones, so I'm gonna roll back the FW until it gets fixed.

Edit: Rolled back to 16.00 and the LF Res Q behavior controls the Q again, and not the resonance itself. Phew!
Doesn't do that here. Where are you seeing this? Axe-Edit?

I have my III in rehearsal space, but I can share my settings here :

IIC++ settings when played with Fryette PS-2 at 120-125db (pwr amp sim on, speaker impendance set to reactive load) :

I tweak only these settings, everything else set to stock values :

input drive 7.5
input trim 9.5

bass 1.25
middle 3
treble 6.5
presence 1

master volume 2
output 0 db

Mark V EQ inside amp block :
80hz +6db
240hz +2db
750hz -7db
2200hz +4db
6600hz +1.5db

input dynamics 1

What cabinet were you using? Has some major thump!

For now don't set Q less than 1.0. If LF Resonance is 0 the Q is irrelevant anyways.

I assumed no one would set both to very low values as you'd never encounter that in a real speaker.

I have to ask, though, why you are setting the LF Resonance to zero. Real speakers have a pronounced resonance.

Back
Top Bottom