Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of the reason the real Archon needs to be cranked is because the power supply is too stiff. It's got six (!!!) big caps filtering the B+. That's too much filtering IMO unless you're playing at arena volumes. If I were to make a modification to the amp it would be a switch to disconnect four of those caps so the supply is more bouncy at moderate volumes. Maybe also a tube rectifier to add some more sponge.

...Patenting this feature as we speak...

Let's just say I'll be unleashing a new preset tomorrow night where the Archean has replaced another amp as my 4th scene high gain
rocker!!! Ohhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else had issues with the output volume changing? Every time I open my DAW to resume my session I have to adjust the output volume on the axfx. I didn't have this issue before the latest update. Love the new Archon amp!!

i'm gonna have to find the right cab for the Archon, haven't dialed anything i liked in yet. Everything just feels smeared together.

Has anyone else had issues with the output volume changing? Every time I open my DAW to resume my session I have to adjust the output volume on the axfx. I didn't have this issue before the latest update. Love the new Archon amp!!
Your DAW is probably sending some midi that affects the volume.

A better method in my opinion is to use the sequencer on MANUAL. You can really tune the sound in this way. I've got a preset like this that suggests a melody. It's outrageous!

Matt, any chance you might share a little how-to post, or a preset, for those of us not-yet-schooled on sequencers? I’ve never messed around with the sequencer, as I wasn’t really sure where to even start, or why it might bring something useful to my playing. And this is with 10+ years of Fractal, with four versions of AxeFX. Cheers, Lee

For the archon (both clean and high gain) I picked a 4x12 recto with a 121 ribbon - factory 2, #808. I really like the feel of this one with the string separation that came with FW 14 it sounds crazy good. This seems to be the perfect timing to release the long awaited PRS box.....
i'm gonna have to find the right cab for the Archon, haven't dialed anything i liked in yet. Everything just feels smeared together.

I'm actually using an IR that I already use for 90% of my rock and metal tones. It's from a 4x12 cab with crossfired Vintage 30's and Eminence Governor speakers. I forget which mic selections I chose. It's a commercial IR.

It's freaking killer! Gonna blow a hole in the roof at my gig tomorrow night!!! Thanks, Cliff!

You have to crank the MV on the real amp. The preamp is very "dry" so to get the juices flowing the power amp needs to be working hard. This also smooths out that funky midrange.
Based on that I think I see from the sound clips why the cleans are snappily gorgeous imho

A better method in my opinion is to use the sequencer on MANUAL. You can really tune the sound in this way. I've got a preset like this that suggests a melody. It's outrageous!
That sounds really interesting!
Would you care to share a preset or a little how to maybe?

I think part of the reason the real Archon needs to be cranked is because the power supply is too stiff. It's got six (!!!) big caps filtering the B+. That's too much filtering IMO unless you're playing at arena volumes. If I were to make a modification to the amp it would be a switch to disconnect four of those caps so the supply is more bouncy at moderate volumes. Maybe also a tube rectifier to add some more sponge.

Is this one of the reasons why the Friedman BE amps have such a fast and bouncy response? The component values and the capacity of their B+ filtering in various Friedman BE schematics doesn’t seem that high either. Or is it mainly because of the pre-amp design?

For someone who rarely touches the power amp section, would The Cliff Mod involve turning up supply sag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom