Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightweights! Graduated high school in 71, after taking a year off :)

My dad was an anthropologist, but he had his fingers in everything, including very early demographic analysis on the University of Rochester computer system. Drop your boxes of cards off, they'd get run when there was free time. But the thing was, if you dropped a box of punch cards, uh oh. They had a separate machine to physically sort them.

I still remember as a kid him taking me down to the basement where it was, and there was a sign up that said "The sorter-counter doesn't".

Precisely why I started physically numbering my card stacks in ‘74. Prior to that I dropped a full box card stack on the Quad at UT Austin, and after gathering them all up spent the next 14hrs. putting them back in order without numbers...

Precisely why I started physically numbering my card stacks in ‘74. Prior to that I dropped a full box card stack on the Quad at UT Austin, and after gathering them all up spent the next 14hrs. putting them back in order without numbers...
lol

Those were the days. Back then, it wasn't enough to write your code. You pretty much had to memorize it, to. :)

lol

Those were the days. Back then, it wasn't enough to write your code. You pretty much had to memorize it, to. :)

Old habits die hard. To this day, my programmers leave extensive comments in their source code so that I and others can figure out (remember?) what the hell they’re doing. Difficult to memorize 9K lines with numerous subroutine calls and arrays... or so they tell me since these days I just troubleshoot it’s installation

Old habits die hard. To this day, my programmers leave extensive comments in their source code so that I and others can figure out (remember?) what the hell they’re doing. Difficult to memorize 9K lines with numerous subroutine calls and arrays... or so they tell me since these days I just troubleshoot it’s installation
OK I think it's safe for the nerds to talk now... :)

I still leave comments and insist that my programmers do the same. It's not always enough to read the code and see what it does, you have to know what was intended. For some reason, computers seem to do what I say, not what I meant!

OK I think it's safe for the nerds to talk now... :)

I still leave comments and insist that my programmers do the same. It's not always enough to read the code and see what it does, you have to know what was intended. For some reason, computers seem to do what I say, not what I meant!
LOL, so true.

OTOH, any attempts I've seen by MS software to try to "do what I meant" instead of what I did usually end up frustrating me.

For example, I don't want to select the space after the word. I just want the word. Try to convince the program to let you select what you selected without a bunch of tricks to get around the "help" it is trying to provide. Try pasting in text into an email in Outlook. Pretty much always assumes you wanted a hard return in front of the text you paste in. :D

MS Code needs to add a setting for Tooltip Delay. I move my cursor to select something, and before I can even get it lined up on the beginning of the thing, a tooltip pops up and gets in the way of the workflow. Maybe it could be set to wait a second or two before popping up? :D Not sure how they managed it, but they managed to build software that was more annoying than "Clippy" the "helpful" paperclip, aka, "the Jar Jar of Software"....

• Haha
Reactions: jon
OH, nothing is more frustrating than when software tries to be smart. Please don't.

I remember learning why customers could never seem to copy and paste their login details out of an email... outlook put an invisible character at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom