Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 13.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Headroom meter is so helpful! I use Recto 2 Red Modern almost exclusively the meter really shows you why the Rectos aren't meant to go above 2-ish for MV.

Anyone using Recto Modern modes have any suggestions for getting tones to cut live? At band practice I've got the mids cranked to 10 and the MV at 2.5 (will probably roll back). I made some new IR mixes that are a bit more mid forward but any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried the fat switch? Boost the mids a lot.

I downloaded and tried all my gig presets last night and made a few new presets. I have not commented on FW updates in the past but I really noticed the difference in this one. I don't use Drive blocks in every preset but where I use them, it is typically to add a boost and punch, not necessarily more gain. I use the TS808 type to add some gain and dirt mostly for cleaner amp types. I still have my real modded TS808 that I used for years and the improved Drive block gets VERY close to the original. It really captures the creamy gain thing that TS808 is known for. Great stuff. Mr. Cliff, I can't understand any of the math equations but I do know tone. You have created an unbelievable musical tool man. Thanks!

You know, I just remembered that switch existed after my last post. I'll try that!
I think it will help you. It's funny because to me a fat switch sounds like something to give it more bass or girth but it isn't. It boost mids. I have been using it and now I can even turn the mids down a little and get a nice balance of cutting and chugging.

Have you tried the fat switch? Boost the mids a lot.

For a bit more control over where, how much, and how wide, I use the mid band of the input EQ quite a bit. Sometimes the mids you want are around 2kHz. Sometimes they're around 800Hz. It varies.

Yeah, units are nice when they are available.

On the opposite end of the scale you have this:
these-go-to-eleven-its-one-louder.jpg

Joe - ya beat me to the Spinal Tap reference - LOL

All the drives have clean mix in a Fractal. That"s what is so powerful about it. I mix at least 50% cleans into every drive.

T808 Mod with 1N4148 diodes x2 sure sounds like my SparkleDrive. I've got two of them right here at my feet.

I think it will help you. It's funny because to me a fat switch sounds like something to give it more bass or girth but it isn't. It boost mids. I have been using it and now I can even turn the mids down a little and get a nice balance of cutting and chugging.

I'm not sure where else the Fat switch was used in real life, but where I know it from is the Mesa Mark IIC+ amps, where it shifted the EQ stack for a greater focus on mids and that really fattened up the lead channel since that EQ is a pre-EQ, like the input EQ is. On amps with a post-gain tonestack it causes the same shift, but the result is different since it's just shifting the EQ rather than shaping the signal into the gain stages.

So that's probably why the name doesn't seem like it fits: the name makes the most sense on amps with pre-gain tonestacks.

@FractalAudio, any chance for a headroom meter in the drive block? :p

Two wishes added:

(I know, too many user wishes to grant in one Cliff lifetime. We need you to live in fractal time of fractal dimension > 1 so you have infinite implementation time within a finite clock time.)

Last edited:
The Horizon Precision Drive was definitely the Drive that I've been waiting for...man what a game changer! Try setting it to 3.75 Drive, 6.0 Attack, and 3.5 Bright in front of the Orange (Citrus) RV50... IR's = 4x12 Engl 160 -100 Left (F2-383) and 4x12 Orange SM57 (F2-641) +100 Right...everything else to taste...It's almost as deadly as a McDonald's Sprite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom