Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 13.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to delete a block in about 40 presets because the CPU was over the limit after updating to 13.01.

I use a vintage Stratocaster with stock pickups and I immediately noticed that all of the drive blocks were way noisier than they had been before. I had to lower the drive level to about 2 on many of them and they were still noisier. It's hard to describe, but all of the drives now have a similar distortion sound, and all of them have more distortion than before. I need to do some more testing, but that is what I noticed so far.
I haven't really noticed that but I have noticed that the drives in my presets sound much better after I reset them & dial them in again. They are much easier to dial in now & require much less deep tweaking.

I had to delete a block in about 40 presets because the CPU was over the limit after updating to 13.01. I use a vintage Stratocaster with stock pickups and I immediately noticed that all of the drive blocks were way noisier than they had been before. I had to lower the drive level to about 2 on many of them and they were still noisier. It's hard to describe, but all of the drives now have a similar distortion sound, and all of them have more distortion than before. I need to do some more testing, but that is what I noticed so far.
Not the case here, did you reset the drive block?

I had to lower the drive level to about 2 on many of them and they were still noisier. It's hard to describe, but all of the drives now have a similar distortion sound, and all of them have more distortion than before. I need to do some more testing, but that is what I noticed so far.

Cliff did say drives would need to be auditioned, but I haven't noticed that radical of a change.

Also IIRC there was a bug in the global Input 1 Gain trim in which it was set to -10dB in 13.00 which went back to unity with 13.01.

Possible to make a before/after recording with same DI signal/riff with a few different models?

Last edited:
Also IIRC there was a bug in the input 1 trim in which it was set to -10dB in 13.00 which went back to unity with 13.01.
+1 on checking the global input trim! I had forgotten about that & that could certainly be causing the issue.

Reactions: RDH
I had to delete a block in about 40 presets because the CPU was over the limit after updating to 13.01.

I use a vintage Stratocaster with stock pickups and I immediately noticed that all of the drive blocks were way noisier than they had been before. I had to lower the drive level to about 2 on many of them and they were still noisier. It's hard to describe, but all of the drives now have a similar distortion sound, and all of them have more distortion than before. I need to do some more testing, but that is what I noticed so far.
Im noticing much more distinction in the tone of the drives

Anyone having issues with the global EQ not working? Gain slider works but other sliders do not. Thanks.

Yep. Actually with Output 1 EQ Type = OFF, it seems like it works but you have to set the sliders when set to GRAPHIC.

So OFF=GRAPHIC and GRAPHIC=OFF.

www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/13p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_13p01.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Fixed global Input Gain loading wrong value.

Changed global Input Gain and Amp block Input Trim to read in linear units due to confusion over the meaning of dB.

Improved Drive block modeling. New algorithm uses a novel solution to solve the nonlinear ODE of a diode clipper with memory (i.e. a capacitor). The accuracy of the diode I-V curve is also greatly improved. This new algorithm has the accuracy of implicit iterative solutions with speed rivaling explicit solutions. CPU usage is only slightly increased vs. the previous algorithm. Note that many of the Drive models will now behave differently and presets should be auditioned. The behavior of the tone controls in some models has also changed. Of note are the Timmy models where the tone controls are now faithful to the actual pedal and decrease bass/treble when turned clockwise.

The Drive block now features a “Bass Response” control for types based on the Rat, Tube Screamer and various derivates. In some models this is duplicated on the Basic page as it is the Bass/Voice/etc. control (and renamed accordingly). This function was previously provided by the Low Cut control. The Low Cut control is now a separate control that allows adjusting the input highpass frequency. Existing presets will automatically be updated with the new default value for the Low Cut control.

Added Bias control to GUI of all Drive block models.

Added “Headroom” monitoring meter to Amp block. The most common reason for “muddy” tones with high-gain amps is incorrect setting of the Master Volume control. The Headroom meter displays the voltage at the virtual power tubes in dB. If the Master Volume is too high the meter will be near 0 dB most of the time. Note that this only applies to amps where the power amp is intended to run “clean” like the 6160, Recto, etc. Non-Master Volume amps get their distortion from the power amp distorting so this recommendation does not apply.

Added Global EQ to all outputs. Note that the EQ for Outputs 3 and 4 is not active if that output has Copy Input 1 set and the corresponding Output block is not in the patch.

Added selectable Graphic/Parametric EQ for Global Output EQs.

While I know there is no set in stone rule on how to dial in an amp, is there a comprehensive list of amps that are generally meant to run 'clean' on the power amp?

While I know there is no set in stone rule on how to dial in an amp, is there a comprehensive list of amps that are generally meant to run 'clean' on the power amp?
In general, I’d say most modern, high-gain amps fall into that category. However, it’s best to use your ears. For example, I don’t particularly love the 6160 Block when the Master is run low enough that there is still Power Amp Headroom. I like it around 3.4, at the lowest. I’m still pinning at -0.2dB Headroom (which I’m assuming means there’s some Power Amp clipping happening), but the amp sound anemic, to me, without it.

In general, I’d say most modern, high-gain amps fall into that category. However, it’s best to use your ears. For example, I don’t particularly love the 6160 Block when the Master is run low enough that there is still Power Amp Headroom. I like it around 3.4, at the lowest. I’m still pinning at -0.2dB Headroom (which I’m assuming means there’s some Power Amp clipping happening), but the amp sound anemic, to me, without it.

Exactly. It kind of varies amp by amp. and you have to learn it individually the same way you'd learn for a specific amp you bought or were planning to buy. No one has compiled a standard list that I know of, because it's sort of a taste thing.

non-Master Volume amps are one that obviously would be set to 10 traditionally. Vintage amps as well that people got the classic rock sounds by cranking up would also expect a higher master.

Modern amps that generate their gain in the preamp would usually like a lower master volume so you don't just add more gain on top that smears/mudds up the tone. But finding the right balance between them can also lead to good results. The Mesa Rectifier series is a classic example of one universally liked with a low master or a master right on the sweet spot. Otherwise the tone breaks apart. The Soldano SLO that it's based on is not the same though. It has great tones in the low, medium, and high master volume ranges with the power amp distortion smoothing things out and making it sound full.

The real answer is probably that there's a sweet spot for every amp, and a good place to start is right where the headroom starts running out. If you turn it down a little you can hear what it's like clean, and you can explore it as you turn it up. That region will have the most variety so that's where the meter helps.

ie, if your Master is set to on a Rectifier 5 you're deep into power amp clipping, small changes probably won't have much difference. You might not realize bringing it down to 3 is where you get that room to explore. But on 5 on a JCM 800 you've still got headroom. So the meter just gives you a visual indication of which is going on.

I finally got my AX-FX III back in June after a very long wait and am really enjoying the unit and all the updates.. especially this one!
It is somewhat regrettable however, that I have found it necessary to put it up for sale...
(I just posted here so far). Surely, I will truly miss this marvelous revolutionary tool, after it's gone! If you have one,...Enjoy it while you can. Play that axe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom