Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 13.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Joe Bfstplk mirrors the behaviour of my old 2 channel Dual Rec - there's a definite sweet spot on the master, which is around 9 o'clock, where the amp sounds thunderous. Any higher and it becomes a flub machine, any lower and it's way too fizzy.
Kinda like dialing in a carburetor. You definiely have a Goldilocks choice going to get it right....

Sounds to me like there is some built-in midrange honk that helps the mids saturate which was laid bare in the #2 pass.

Haven't installed it yet, but assuming it means input trim reverts to how it was before (1.0 is normal (0dB), 0.5 is half level(-6 dB), 2.0 is twice the level(+6 dB)). And the global input gain is also the same now.
I assumed this shortly after I posted. Shame. I prefer real-world units to scalers or arbitrary numbers any day. Products that quantify level, time, etc., without units never made sense to me (unless the parameter in question had no associated units). I spent (wasted) so much time with test signals, converting meaningless numbers into charts with their associated real-world units over the years with other products. It's what I've always hated about Roland, Digitech, Alesis, etc.

How can anyone not understand dB in reference to a volume control?

"Hey, Bob! How much difference in gain is there between 67 and 93?"
Bob: "Twenty-six. There is twenty-six difference in gain."
"Hey, Bob! Twenty-six what?"
Bob: "Numbers."

Not a big deal. I just don't get it. In this instance, I assume the number is a multiplier, so it has meaning. Still, nothing beats dB for amplitude, IMO. 0.5, 1, and 2 are easy. Everything in-between not so much at a glance.

Last edited:
Now it's just a signal level multiplier (with no unit) - that is actually more intuitive to me - I never really got down with dBs

How can anyone not understand 1597386049016.png ?? ;)

I prefer dB for relative level adjustments but most consumer electronics have unitless dials 0-10 or maybe +/- from a midpoint, whether linear or log pots.

There are a variety of dB-based level parameters and other relative level parameters (multiplier, %) in the Axe, so could go either way.

I think this is another great example of a setting that should be user configurable.

I think configuration makes sense only if it applies across the board (dB, %, multiplier), but that's a lot of work for personal aesthetics.

Last edited:
I assumed this shortly after I posted. Shame. I prefer real-world units to arbitrary numbers any day. Products that quantify level, time, etc., without units never made sense to me (unless the parameter in question had no associated units). I spent (wasted) so much time with test signals, converting meaningless numbers into charts with their associated real-world units over the years with other products. It's what I've always hated about Roland.

"Hey, Bob! How much difference in gain is there between 67 and 93?"
Bob: "Twenty-six. There is twenty-six difference in gain."
"Hey, Bob! Twenty-six what?"
Bob: "Numbers."

Not a big deal. I just don't get it.
The parameter in question does NOT have any associated units, it's just a factor or ratio, ie, dimensionless. dB are just a peculiar kind of "unit", because they also express dimensionless quantities, just on a logarithmic scale.

The significance of dB for audio (close to what volume "feels like") is appealing, but for me, it is completely negated by my constantly getting confused by the various conventions to be aware of: Is it in reference to a certain base level? Are we talking about power ratios or about voltage ratios? And believe me, I am reasonably capable on the math/physics side of these things.

The parameter in question does NOT have any associated units, it's just a factor or ratio, ie, dimensionless. dB are just a peculiar kind of "unit", because they also express dimensionless quantities, just on a logarithmic scale.

The significance of dB for audio (close to what volume "feels like") is appealing, but for me, it is completely negated by my constantly getting confused by the various conventions to be aware of: Is it in reference to a certain base level? Are we talking about power ratios or about voltage ratios? And believe me, I am reasonably capable on the math/physics side of these things.
I amended my post to reflect the fact that it is a multiplier in this case. Still, a dB reading is more useful to me than 1.63. And my post addresses the larger issue of many manufacturers using meaningless numbers throughout their UI. Always been a peeve of mine. Multipliers make sense to me when they globally scale several independent parameters at once; for example, multiple delay times. For a single level control, I prefer dB.

Last edited:
I amended my post to reflect the fact that it is a multiplier in this case. Still, a dB reading is more useful to me than 1.63. And my post addresses the larger issue of many manufacturers using meaningless numbers throughout their UI. Always been a peeve of mine. Multipliers make sense to me when they globally scale several independent parameters at once; for example, delay times.
Yeah, units are nice when they are available.

On the opposite end of the scale you have this:
these-go-to-eleven-its-one-louder.jpg

I'm not usually vocal about stuff like this, but input trim and global amp gain in linear? WHY? This makes no sense. Decibels are way better and easier to understand. Please change it back. Everything that could be shown in dB, should be. dB is easy to understand, linear or percentage units for stuff like this, is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom