Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 13.00 Public Beta

I don't go over about 65% of CPU. Over the past few releases I don't need anywhere near the number of effects etc to get a great tone. I get by on about 6 to 8 blocks most of the time.

man.. this just keeps getting better and better and better. You rock, Cliff

Hoping that if we got a Precision, we can also get a Kl... Wampler Tumnus! :innocent:

I love the Tumnus ... I would love to see it as a drive block but I don't think it will happen. A Spark Booster would be my second choice for the Fat mode ....

Did you read the release notes? Drive block updates will cause CPU increase in diode-based models.

It's about 3% so I'd guess you have 2 or 3 Drive blocks in your preset?
I wonder if there's any possibility or interest in an Economy mode for diode drives, so you could choose between the updated hi-fi version and the older more economical one.

Yes sir, that is it!
Consider consolidating Drives into multiple channels of the same block if possible.

I haven't updated yet because my typical presets hover about 78-79% and I have 2 Drive blocks in them (I use 5-6 different types).

Since I don't currently "stack" Drive blocks, I might be able to get all the diode-based types into 4 channels of one Drive and the non-diode into another so I only see a 3% hit instead of 6%... Or else I will have to set up my scenes so that whenever a diode-based drive is in use in an active Drive block that a non-diode is selected in the other one.
I wonder if there's any possibility or interest in an Economy mode for diode drives, so you could choose between the updated hi-fi version and the older more economical one.
I'm sure some would... Since I haven't had a chance to update, I'll reserve judgment on whether I would want it or not until I can compare.

Since I haven't had a chance to update, I'll reserve judgment on whether I would want it or not until I can compare.
Comparing isn't that easy or reliable without this feature though.
You'd have to compare the two firmware versions, not like comparing two sets of drive block settings.

Comparing isn't that easy or reliable without this feature though.
You'd have to compare the two firmware versions, not like comparing two sets of drive block settings.
Yes, I understand that.

That's why I said "until I can compare"... I'm talking about my own, personal preference.

Have you tried Suhr amp, both 18 w & 30 w, with a Suhr riot LED drive in front (no distortion), amps with input drive around 5-6 and master something higher, to taste? A good delay and nice reverb.. I have cab #757, #760 and #758 on Suhr 30 w and #34 and #52 on Suhr 18 w, but I'm sure you have your own choice of cab..

I just loaded V13. An existing preset with an 83.5% CPU usage jumped to 92% and triggered a warning.

I haven't tried 13 beta yet, but that means all of my presets will be over the limit. Not good. Hopefully they will figure out a way to keep the improvements without the huge CPU increase for the official release.

That would make no sense. The Quality parameter for reverbs is completely different from decreasing the authenticity of the drives. People always ask for the best possible modeling, and FAS always goes for the highest quality. Nothing comes for free.

if you want less CPU usage, simply choose a drive type that uses less. Non-diode drive types use the same CPU% in v13 as before.

Last edited:
A few people are posting about it. I’m totally surprised. I have quite a few extensive presets for a cover band, including but certainly not limited to Gilmour and Frampton patches - guys that famously have extensive amp and fx stuff going on. I’m not even close to the processing limitations. Also, with amp blocks that can be pushed to the absolute max, some people are talking about three or four stacked drive blocks. How do you control it, and where do you get the tone back? Don’t get me wrong - I’m not judging. I’m just asking how do you do it?

Back
Top Bottom