Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Virtual Capo in 12.08 is too much fun!
Going through the Blues changes with the Virtual Capo...
Just set up 3 scenes: 1) basic rock tone, 2) PITCH +5, 3) PITCH +7
And just start tapdancing :) while your hand is doing the same thing... had a blast

That is really kind of messed up, but in a good way!

The virtual capo now works incredibly well. But I often play (OK, "practice") at a low enough volume level that I can hear the strings and the Axe in the monitors. Especially when I'm just knocking it a half-step down it's really unpleasant to hear those dissonant notes against each other. It also just doesn't work if you want any kind of sympathetic feedback. Ah well. You do what you gotta do, and it's a great tool!

Headphones work great with the virtual capo.

This has been one of my personal checks for pitch shifting for quite a while. A fairly fast paced riff where all the notes are allowed to ring. I could not get this good enough on the AX8 - Now it's there - My apologies for the sloppy playing.

The four parts are re-amped using the AxeIII as an audio interface - I never tried re-amping like this before. It works really well.

That is really kind of messed up, but in a good way!

The virtual capo now works incredibly well. But I often play (OK, "practice") at a low enough volume level that I can hear the strings and the Axe in the monitors. Especially when I'm just knocking it a half-step down it's really unpleasant to hear those dissonant notes against each other. It also just doesn't work if you want any kind of sympathetic feedback. Ah well. You do what you gotta do, and it's a great tool!
It’s a phenomena side effect of the nature of pitch shifting acoustic instruments. It cannot be avoided unless the pitch shifted audio is louder than the acoustic source....ie..gtr strings, bass strings, violin, horns ...etc

Not to mention other such side effects as eventually having to change strings, tubes, straps, picks, ...................TUBES??!!

Could we have a screenshot of the pitch block settings?
Here ya go. I have set up default Virtual Capo in the pitch block.
Scene 1 = channel A of pitch block (all settings default).
Scene 2 = channel B of pitch block (see screenshot below) with Shift +5, so 5 semitones up (makes an E sound like an A)
Scene 3 = channel C of pitch block with Shift +7, so 7 semitones up (makes an E sound like a B)

I could have chosen to bypass Pitch Block in scene 1, then I would have only needed two channels.
To expand further you can add another pitch block and have each scene play a different note!
That would effectively make your foot controller a keyboard 🤣 while playing the same note with your guitar.
Have fun!
Schermafbeelding 2020-06-05 om 16.02.06.png

Just a moment ago my AF3 output 'crashed' with a high pitched whine while making a new preset with the AFS100 2 amp. Reboot solved the problem, but it's the first time anything crashed for me in almost a year of owning it.

All this talk about bass and guitar being the same, similar is interesting. My favorite local bass player sums it up as bass is more about the timing and things that are done with the right hand, or picking/plucking hand, whereas guitar is a bit more fretting hand. Obviously both need to work together, but which hand is dominant is the point.

I play several instruments and approach each as a different instrument:
Electric guitar (a few different types within this group)
Acoustic steel string guitar
Classical nylon string guitar
Electric bass

Even the items with 6 strings tend to pull out very different types of music when you approach them this way. I'm getting almost as comfortable fingerpicking on a classical as I am shredding metal through my Axe-fx III and 2 4x12s. Lol

And going down to the things I dabble with:
Keyboards
Drums

More or less suck at both of those, but competent enough to fool a lot of non-musicians. Hahaha

Good night friends!
It is the first time that I write in this Forum!
I'm from São Paulo / Brazil and my English is not very good, sorry for that!
I've had the AX-FX 3 for about two years now and I have a question:
I would like to use virtual capo to lower only half a tone, however, even before the update to 12.8 and after the update, when I use virtual capo the sound is strange, synthesized, similar to the sound of a digital piano, someone can you help me with this?
Hugs to all!

Good night friends!
I would like to use virtual capo to lower only half a tone, however, even before the update to 12.8 and after the update, when I use virtual capo the sound is strange, synthesized, similar to the sound of a digital piano, someone can you help me with this?
Hugs to all!
Do you have it as the first block after the Input?

Set to -1, Mix 100%.

Make sure you're playing loud enough that you're not hearing the acoustic sound from your guitar or try with headphones.

Yes, it is the first block after input !, mix and imput gain set to 100% and shift to -1, however, the more I increase the volume, the greater the synthesizer effect, I've tried everything, I don't know what do!!
I have seen several videos with the demonstration of the new virtual capo after the 12.8 update and in none of these videos have I heard in digital piano sound

Yes, it is the first block after input !, mix and imput gain set to 100% and shift to -1, however, the more I increase the volume, the greater the synthesizer effect, I've tried everything, I don't know what do!!
I have seen several videos with the demonstration of the new virtual capo after the 12.8 update and in none of these videos have I heard in digital piano sound
Try to turn down the tracking knob

Good night friends!
Hugs to all!
Record yourself with the VC enabled. Does that sound good? If so then you are hearing yourself along with the downshifted sound.

[BUG?] Random tuner problem

Since the upgrade, very frequently the tuner is either not responsive or displaying random notes and not following the pitch at all.

I have to restart the Axe-FX, sometimes 2 or 3 times, until it works properly. Sometimes it doesn't work at all after many restarts

There is also the case that it doesn't work when switching on and, after a while, it is working properly without rebooting. But now I have it ON for more than one hour and it is still not working

I have recorded a video

All tuner configurations are default. Mute is off, so you can hear the guitar through the Axe-FX

At that video it is irresponsive to all strings, but sometimes it works with strings 4-5-6 but not with 1-2-3. Or 3-4-5-6 OK but not responding to 1-2-3

p.s.: different cables, different guitars = same result. You can hear the clear notes through the Axe-FX anyway, so it doesn't look like an external problem

Last edited:
@Piing are you using input 1 on the front? Try using the input 1 on the back. The daughterboard connector might be loose.

I've just tried the rear In1 with the same result. If the front connection were loosen, I would probably have trouble with the guitar sound also.

Here is a video with another case: it works on strings 3 to 6 but displays wrong values on strings 1 and 2

I don’t generally post following fw upgrades, but the state of the Axe III now is really quite awesome.

I don’t use effects that much beyond the basics of comp, drive, echo & reverb - but I’ve been playing around with various effects since this update and the quality and versatility of the effects are superb and quite addictive to use. Amps aside, I think the AxeFX as just a standalone multi FX unit is quite incredible. Really impressive stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom