Axe-Fx III Firmware 27.00 Public Beta #2

In my opinion,
If you have a hard time dialing a real amp, is that you have the wrong amp in front of you. Talking about the mark 5 for example, they sell it as the « ultimate metal amp » back in the day, I ordered one in the shop and was disappointed with the tone : The clean sucked, and the dist isn’t heavy (as you believed before trying it). F##### by marketing so.

When you found the amp that fit well with your tastes, you plug yourself, does a light eq tweak and that’s it . You quite never tweak again your head .
When I plug myself in my jp2c, I have instantly a good tone without pulling my hair

That reminds me of how often I see some drop A djent player asking for pickup recommendations, and someone is always like "JB/Jazz set for sure!" because it works well for their own E standard 80s metal

In my opinion,
If you have a hard time dialing a real amp, is that you have the wrong amp in front of you. Talking about the mark 5 for example, they sell it as the « ultimate metal amp » back in the day, I ordered one in the shop and was disappointed with the tone : The clean sucked, and the dist isn’t heavy (as you believed before trying it). F##### by marketing so.

When you found the amp that fit well with your tastes, you plug yourself, does a light eq tweak and that’s it . You quite never tweak again your head .
When I plug myself in my jp2c, I have instantly a good tone without pulling my hair
I got plenty of good sounds out of that Mark V, it was just fiddly to get there, and it sounded glorious but in very narrow adjustment ranges. Touch a little thing and it would instantly sound like an over compressed muddy fart, then awesome again with just a little touch. The Axe didn't really do this quite as much before this firmware, now I'm getting deja vu that's all.

I found that it's actually harder to get a good sound out of this firmware because some amps behave in a "nastier" way if you don't set them up right just like the real ones. Feels significantly more realistic to me in a way that I wasn't used to anymore but it's bringing back memories of long afternoons spent nudging the pots on my Mark V to get it to sound good (if you owned one you know what I'm talking about).
I really like these “nastier” sounding amp models, especially the Plexi, it is just fascinating how close it sounds to my Superlead.

I must be deaf because the jp2c and mark v sound dang close to me.
You tried the real ones?
The clean channel is really better in the jp2c. The one in the mark V is cold and sort of …empty? The dist got more « ohmmff » in palm mute, more body in the jp2c, and more gain somewhere in shred mode. It is a little bit more … « modern »?

MIDI, twin eq…

The mark V was globally cold for what I remember. I was disappointed. Just an experience then, depends the tone you have in mind

Last edited:
The jp2c is the only mesa head that doesn’t need an od pedal because of the shred mode . All my previous mesa head needed a boost to play « modern metal ». With the jp, you can play old and new metal without nothing in between. That’s the main difference to me. And yeah the clean channel is perfect

Edit : also maybe the badlander doesn’t need it too, but I never tried one for real as they send nothing in Europe

I am always confused by what others hear and compare to . Is it a real tube amp with guitar speakers in a closed or open back cabinet. Are the AxeFx models being played through the same speaker set up ? If it's FRFR what impulses are being used . My experience is that the amplification and impulses make the percieved experience vary wildly .

I am always confused by what others hear and compare to . Is it a real tube amp with guitar speakers in a closed or open back cabinet. Are the AxeFx models being played through the same speaker set up ? If it's FRFR what impulses are being used . My experience is that the amplification and impulses make the percieved experience vary wildly .
Personally I am talking about the real deal with closed rectifier cab, not axe related.
No mic, no recording, just you with the stack .

You tried the real ones?
The clean channel is really better in the jp2c. The one in the mark V is cold and sort of …empty? The dist got more « ohmmff » in palm mute, more body in the jp2c, and more gain somewhere in shred mode. It is a little bit more … « modern »?

MIDI, twin eq…

The mark V was globally cold for what I remember. I was disappointed. Just an experience then, depends the tone you have in mind
No I have not, very interesting though.

I do not need a boost when I use the mark series even for brutal death metal personally, but I can see the shred mode def making a huge difference in the real heads, I would rather the jp2c too irl.

I know what you mean by cold. The distortion is drier, stiffer.

Back
Top Bottom