Axe-Fx III Firmware 27.00 Public Beta #2

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/27p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_27p00_beta2.zip

Found a minor error in the new amp modeling. Probably not audible though.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Improved Amp block preamp algorithms, especially for amps with multiple gain stages. Tones are “gutsier” and have a more dynamic response with more “pop”. Also improves accuracy when input of Amp block is driven by a Drive pedal (whether real or virtual).

Improved cathode follower algorithm improves accuracy near onset of clipping. This results in warmer tones at edge-of-breakup and better cleanup when rolling off the volume knob (for amps that use a cathode follower). Due to the new algorithm the Grid Clipping parameter has been removed.

New power amp algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models bias excursion and duty cycle modulation. The results in more complex tone with better, punchier feel.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Band-Commander model.

Remastered Vibrato Lux model.

NOTE: The new amp algorithms are more accurate than prior firmware releases. This creates various “artifacts” that real tube amps produce. These include low-frequency intermodulation distortion, “clutter”, spitting and other non-ideal behaviors. These behaviors, however, are precisely what gives tube amps warmth, dynamics and character. They go hand-in-hand. Without these, amp modeling sounds sterile and uninteresting.

- Added DiMarzio Dick Crusher circuit to Wrecker Express 'Ideal' layout. :D 🤘:cool:

We are so spoiled, how you continue to wring out even more perfection with every release has to be a candidate for Ninth Wonder of the World!! My 2203 High sounds so f'ing perfect now (more perfect than the previous perfect!) I just cannot imagine how it gets better from here!! I managed to pull myself away and stop playing for 5 minutes and another new beta appears!!!

FAS Mason's Hammer?

Eternal thanks, this is off the charts good!!

NOTE: The new amp algorithms are more accurate than prior firmware releases. This creates various “artifacts” that real tube amps produce. These include low-frequency intermodulation distortion, “clutter”, spitting and other non-ideal behaviors.
Could you expand upon “clutter?” I don’t know what that means in this context.

biggest difference between Beta 27 and Beta 27#2 is fuller low mids. Beta 27 made the upper mids more clear and present, Beta 27#2 fills in the low mids to make up for the gap that was left behind with the improvements onBeta 27.
Totally agree with that you are spot on thanks for pointing that out

Really a good idea to have taken the plunge in 2015!
Thank you very much Cliff & FAS team!
for all these hours having fun with my guitar... and it goes on...

First time I have jumped onto a Public Beta for a while, and I only got around to installing 26 earlier this week. I've mainly been experimenting with 2203 High Input and a few Drive pedals today.

I'm feeling a little late to the party with the updated Drive blocks from 26. They really do seem great. The most noticable improvement seems to be with "transistor driven" circuits, rather than those that use diodes in an op amp feedback loop. Exception being the RAT, which is in the latter camp, and now seems to be giving me the same issue as the real deal, which is the care needed in balancing the filter and drive to get the exact "nasty" spot. (Antithesis of a sweet spot!) Massive improvement in authenticity, which is an improvement overall for me. Probably less so for people that don't like the ProCo RAT pedal. ;)

Of the 27 Beta 2 amps, I've only tried the 2203 High properly with the 4 Drives I use regularly so far. I can definitely feel there is more "clutter" at the low end when driven, and the interaction between the amp and the drive pedals definitely feels more "natural". I'm with @hfam on this. The already perfect somehow got "perfecter"...

Liam

Back
Top Bottom