Axe-Fx III Firmware 26.00 Public Beta

Specifically answering your reference question, I always thought that the “Jazz120” was a model of the Roland JC-120. As far as I remember, the Roland’s Jazz Chorus 120 was introduced in ‘75 as a solid state amp, and never had 5881 power tubes. Please someone correct me, if my memory is incorrect.
Do you hear any noise when loading a Jazz 120 ?

Isnt the Roland JC 120 a fully solid state [non-tube] Amp ?

Ben
Specifically answering your reference question, I always thought that the “Jazz120” was a model of the Roland JC-120. As far as I remember, the Roland’s Jazz Chorus 120 was introduced in ‘75 as a solid state amp, and never had 5881 power tubes. Please someone correct me, if my memory is incorrect.
I always wondered why this was the case with the Jazz120 model too, why the model would have tubes. Perhaps this fits better with the basic architecture of the Axe-FX III, and maybe the surrounding circuitry of the model has been designed to recreate the tone and behavior of the real world amp, but using tubes instead. This may be the one model I've never tried.

The JC 120 is based on the Roland Jazz Chorus 120 2x12.
The Roland Jazz Chorus is a solid state amp.
The JC 120 is the only solid state amp in the Fractal amp list.

However, the fracal amp block is built around a tube amp model. That block is the basis for every amp model, adjusted and adapted and tuned and expanded for each amp. This is why every amp has all the advanced parameters, bright caps, transformer mismatch, etc. You can add a cathode follower to any amp, even if it didn't have one. This is also why certain functions that don't map well to a universal amp block instead get modelled as separate models (HBE model on friedmans, Mig-gain on Mark IV, Agression modes on Revv, etc.).

So the Jazz Chorus got modelled inside the amp block, configured and tuned to model it properly. But it leaves all the other functions of the block available, including tube types.

Don't overthink it. It's an amp block, so it has all the amp block features.

Is 5881 the default Power tube Type of the Jazz 120 ?
Seems to be noisy with this update.
View attachment 141633

So should the Grid Bias realy be at 75% ? If you turn it to arround 50% it sounds more clearer without this bad distortion.
If i try other Tubes with 75% Grid Bias, the distortion changes drastically until to self oscillation with the "6CA7 AMP" Type. The "6CA7 JJ" Type has no self oscillation and sounds clean which i think is realy strange!

My experience with old super lead marshals is they can be very bright and crispy. Especially with certain bright caps.
Depends on how high you crank it, after 70% or so the bright cap does less and they thicken up a lot. Also, I’m not saying Marshall’s aren't bright, I’m saying modelers are typically more defined.

Depends on how high you crank it, after 70% or so the bright cap does less and they thicken up a lot. Also, I’m not saying Marshall’s aren't bright, I’m saying modelers are typically more defined.
True but remember, the louder you crank the amp the more you will perceive the high end. We’re not getting that from a modeler unless you’re able to really crank your speakers of choice.

It's been a bit since I've used my Axe with headphones only. Probably more than 10 firmware versions. Tuned up this beta and used headphones and it's an absolute beast. The 2x12 stealth dynacab with a condenser just rips and I get so much low-mid punch without being muddy in headphones now. Thanks!

Okay, I'm loving the 2x12 Stealth. Here's the Ecstasy Red Modern (Bright Switch off) through it with two misaligned 57s. Using a 2x12 eliminates the need for low cuts in this context, and the misalignment eliminates the need for high cuts. Same preset twice, hard panned. What a great weekend this is already. Thanks Cliff and FAS! I know these DynaCab captures take forever, so it means that much more that you just included two more in the firmware.

Now that is how you dial in a great tone. Well played sir. Well played🙏👍💪

The JC 120 is based on the Roland Jazz Chorus 120 2x12.
The Roland Jazz Chorus is a solid state amp.
The JC 120 is the only solid state amp in the Fractal amp list.

However, the fracal amp block is built around a tube amp model. That block is the basis for every amp model, adjusted and adapted and tuned and expanded for each amp. This is why every amp has all the advanced parameters, bright caps, transformer mismatch, etc. You can add a cathode follower to any amp, even if it didn't have one. This is also why certain functions that don't map well to a universal amp block instead get modelled as separate models (HBE model on friedmans, Mig-gain on Mark IV, Agression modes on Revv, etc.).

So the Jazz Chorus got modelled inside the amp block, configured and tuned to model it properly. But it leaves all the other functions of the block available, including tube types.

Don't overthink it. It's an amp block, so it has all the amp block features.

OK ... not doubting what you are saying.

Given that the JC 120 has no glass within 500 miles of it maybe it would make more sense for any/all of the pre-power Tube related parameters to be greyed out so as not to confuse people (?)

I've never used any JC 120 model in any modeler so I always assumed that it would never have any glass-related parameters associated or adjustable to it (?)

Just my limited 2c worth :)

Ben

OK ... not doubting what you are saying.

Given that the JC 120 has no glass within 500 miles of it maybe it would make more sense for any/all of the pre-power Tube related parameters to be greyed out so as not to confuse people (?)

I've never used any JC 120 model in any modeler so I always assumed that it would never have any glass-related parameters associated or adjustable to it (?)

Just my limited 2c worth :)

Ben
I think it’s very cool you can add glass to these if you want or modify them any way possible! I can have an amp that is absolutely not on the market but still sounds incredible. Now that is the power I saw before I decided to buy this high tech machine!

Back
Top Bottom