Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh No Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Make It Stop Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

I love the new firmware, don't get me wrong. But I think everyone has to agree that factory and user presets using the GEQ sound somewhat off after doing a hard reset, which makes total sense.

I also understand that re-doing/tweaking the factory presets after every releases is a monumental task. However, with Cygnus X-3, I think an overhaul of the factory preset would be welcomed and warranted. This is a major release, not just a patch/point release. The factory presets are noticeably outdated (from FW 19, pre dyna-cab, pre x-3, pre a lot of things).
They can't update the factory presets until after the firmware is finalized, otherwise they'd just have to update them again when Cliff makes another tweak.

So whether or not they're coming, they won't be coming at least until the Beta is conluded and the final version is released.

They can't update the factory presets until after the firmware is finalized, otherwise they'd just have to update them again when Cliff makes another tweak.

So whether or not they're coming, they won't be coming at least until the Beta is conluded and the final version is released.
Adding to that, I vote for continued velocity of awesome improvements over speedy factory preset updates. I look to the factory presets for ideas, but I almost always dial up my presets from scratch (and well, templates). Understanding that a lot of folks start with factory presets and then tweak them...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned, but if you are scared about updating to the latest FW, just buy a second Axe FXIII! Then you will have your old setup and the newest and latest stuff ;~)) Seems to me to be the easiest path for the snowflakes worried about melting in FW update hell!!

All joking aside, the table by @yyz67 is the most logical method to resolving the questions about resets that I have seen thus far. I would also suggest that the next firmware and/or next version of hardware, should have more consistent results. I do not like the "if it is Ideal tab, it will reset, if it is authentic tab it will not" and other inconsistent reactions to resets. I would argue that a reset should either clear all values and set to factory default OR touch none of the values on an existing preset. And when you add a new amp block (factory not library), it always has factory defaults. Library/copied/imported blocks always maintain their saved/set values.

Thats my $0.01 (sorry, don't have two cents worth to offer)!

I wish Cliff would have posted this here instead of (or in addition to) on The Gear Forum.

I think it's good info to have here:

The amp modeling is using the new algorithms always.

There are, however, new default values for certain parameters. When you reset the amp block (either hard or soft) those new default values are loaded. They are NOT loaded when using existing presets. If you make a preset from scratch the new defaults are used.

For example, the new default Cathode Follower Compression might be, say, 77%. In an existing preset it might be 74%. If you recall that existing preset the value will be 74%. If you reset the amp block it will change to 77%.

There are many hidden parameters that are updated regardless. No reset is required.

I am thinking that I might make the release firmware update all parameters to default values.
https://thegearforum.com/threads/fractal-talk.2745/post-197765

I wish Cliff would have posted this here instead of (or in addition to) on The Gear Forum.

I am thinking that I might make the release firmware update all parameters to default values.
By which he luckily seemed to mean only the few parameters that NEED changing, or you're going to cause another 30 pages...

It's in ways the no-brainer solution... which may cause a bunch of new problems, like having to load that firmware before you load a higher one (unless it will be in all future firmware), etc. If it is a separate utility it will create its own new problems as well...

Last edited:

I think it's good info to have here:

https://thegearforum.com/threads/fractal-talk.2745/post-197765
I agree with Cliff's proposed full reset on Release launch idea.
In the Helix world, it rebuilds presets automatically on code upgrades and I support that design.

Take a full backup of the unit before upgrading. Upgrade. If you don't like how your presets sound anymore, fix them to your liking or roll back the code and restore.

That's a good question and there are various ways to try to understand it. Here's my attempt:

A preset contains parameters that the user can adjust and whose values are stored in presets. At the same time, the amp models that FAS develops have parameters that they adjust, most of which are hidden from us. The problem is there is a little bit of overlap between the two: parameters that FAS tweaks to improve amp model accuracy are sometimes parameters the user can adjust and which are stored in presets.

The dilemma for Cliff is: how to change those few parameters that he would like to tweak that are stored in our presets? The way he does this is by changing default values for those parameters.

So, how do you update your presets to get those new default values? The tool we have at our disposal is amp block reset. This will set parameters to the latest default values as determined by the firmware. Unfortunately, block reset is a brute force tool. It resets almost every parameter in the amp block, including ones you may have adjusted to get the preset to your liking.

Another complication is presets are stored in various places: in slots on your Axe-FX, in .syx preset files, in your amp block library. How do you update all of those? Yet another complication is there are various things you can do, like changing the amp type, that does a reset implicitly. I've tried to answer people's questions about this above by describing when resets happen and when they don't.

At this point, you're probably asking yourself if there's a better way. I'm sure Cliff is asking himself that too. It sure would be nice if there was a more precise reset that resets only the relevant parameters of the amp block to the new values, and it would be nice if that reset could be more automatic.
resetting all parameters wouldnt be devastating if we could batch print/export all settings for all blocks. at least it would be an "easier" fix if you wanted to restore settings.

<snip> ... if we could batch print/export all settings for all blocks. at least it would be an "easier" fix if you wanted to restore settings.
My humble perspective: I'm a happy user of the Axe having acquired suitable gigging presets over the years through light editing of factory presets, commercial presets, and shared presets. I do not have the skills and learned intuition of many on this thread for tweakng amp block settings. (I'm like someone who uses sucessfully uses computer applications, but without any knowledge of software internals and programming.)

But if there was a way to capture what parameter changes occured across an update as @PSea describes, I could at least focus on adjusting those controls if the post-update sound was sufficiently 'wrong' for it's originally intended gigging use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom