Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I buy a presets that was made for fw25, do I need to reset?
If the preset was made by a vendor from scratch on the new firmware 25, then no - no amp reset needed.

If the preset was originally made on firmware 24/prior, then the vendor/person who updated the prior preset from firmware 24 should do at least a soft amp reset and save it under firmware 25 after that with any new tweaks made then, before they sell it - else (under this public beta) the preset(s) won’t have the new firmware’s various new amp values for various improved pre/power amp modeling things in firmware 25.

It is concievable?possible? that when Cliff releases a final public version, that final firmware upon loading will force the new fw25 amp values into your existing older presets, making the amp reset preset no longer necessary. I am purely speculating, with no inside knowledge.

But probably all of us that have dialed in a lot of custom amp values for non-pre and power amp things like the amp GEQ, Input EQ like lo cut, Amp Boost or Saturation non-default values, output compressor or dynamics, variac, etc. we’d all hope that those parameters need not be affected by a forced new firmware 25 and forced back to default — just force the pre-amp and power amp modeling goodies that changed from 24 to 25. Probably ideal outcome and easier to then update for many users.

We shall see!

you can also use Fractool to interrogate all of the settings on a block. If you export the preset to a .syx file, it can be opened with Fractool and the parameters will be right there with a click or even export to a .csv file.

View attachment 137080
is this function available in the version of fractool within Edit? have been wishing for something like this! would be great if you could batch export all settings for all blocks within a range of presets for future comparisons.

thanks for bringing this up

is this function available in the version of fractool within Edit? have been wishing for something like this! would be great if you could batch export all settings for all blocks within a range of presets for future comparisons.
It's recently been wished even by one or more beta testers.

If the preset was made by a vendor from scratch on the new firmware 25, then no - no amp reset needed.

If the preset was originally made on firmware 24/prior, then the vendor/person who updated the prior preset from firmware 24 should do at least a soft amp reset and save it under firmware 25 after that with any new tweaks made then, before they sell it - else (under this public beta) the preset(s) won’t have the new firmware’s various new amp values for various improved pre/power amp modeling things in firmware 25.

It is concievable?possible? that when Cliff releases a final public version, that final firmware upon loading will force the new fw25 amp values into your existing older presets, making the amp reset preset no longer necessary. I am purely speculating, with no inside knowledge.

But probably all of us that have dialed in a lot of custom amp values for non-pre and power amp things like the amp GEQ, Input EQ like lo cut, Amp Boost or Saturation non-default values, output compressor or dynamics, variac, etc. we’d all hope that those parameters need not be affected by a forced new firmware 25 and forced back to default — just force the pre-amp and power amp modeling goodies that changed from 24 to 25. Probably ideal outcome and easier to then update for many users.

We shall see!
AB, In earlier posts the powers that be on the forum of whom I have much respect for stated that if I had created a "New" preset on fw 25 from scratch that I would still have to perform a reset for the amp or amps and even other blocks. That doesn't make sense to me at all. If you start from scratch on a current fw and Axe edit is current and refreshed you should be able to start at a level playing field. Even Matt had mentioned what you have to do to ensure you have a completely clear preset to use. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...00-public-beta-cygnus-x-3.202659/post-2538921
So confused about that

Last edited:
I’ll give a try.

Updating the firmware to a version that incorporates changes to the Amp block, is like changing a car’s engine and electronics. There’s no way around it: after the update, the car runs on the new engine. You may or may not experience changes to the way the car runs, depending on the upgrades.

You can control and finetune the engine’s performance and behavior through the dashboard. The equivalent of the parameters in the Amp block. E.g. the cruise control.

With the old engine, the cruise control defaulted to 100 km/hour. You changed that to 105 km through the onboard computer. While the NEW engine and electronics changed the default to 95 km/hour, they keep your personal setting intact. That is: until you perform a factory reset, which will reset it to 95.

You have also manually set the point where the engine changes gear. The upgrade of the engine introduced better eco perfomance, changing the optimal points (undisclosed) to change gear. Still, your user setting is preserved. To achieve the better eco performance, you will have to perform a factory reset of the board computer, which will wipe all settings, but it’s worth it.

PS “Refresh After New Firmware” is totally unrelated to resetting the Amp block, as explained in the much-quoted wiki section.
This is very well written
And makes sense

Always. But what and where exactly? It answers your last questions.

So “manage presets” does this :

However, be aware that this method also will reset these AMP block controls:
  • Graphic EQ
  • Speaker Impedance Curve
And “soft reset” mentions these:

Output EQ: Everything returns to default, except EQ On/Off.

Speaker: Everything returns to default, except Auto Dyna-Cab Imp., Speaker Compression, Speaker Time Const, Output Mode.

Is that not saying that soft reset also resets the graphic EQ and the SIC?

So “manage presets” does this :

However, be aware that this method also will reset these AMP block controls:
  • Graphic EQ
  • Speaker Impedance Curve
And “soft reset” mentions these:

Output EQ: Everything returns to default, except EQ On/Off.

Speaker: Everything returns to default, except Auto Dyna-Cab Imp., Speaker Compression, Speaker Time Const, Output Mode.

Is that not saying that soft reset also resets the graphic EQ and the SIC?

Yes, a soft reset resets the GEQ and SIC. "Reset AMP" does too.

Does the wiki section indicate otherwise? I don't see that. "However" relates to the note about maintaining authentic controls.

why do we have to reset if it's already changing things when we update. why doing it in two steps when they can do it in one step.
It's not how we reset. It's when to reset

Always. But what and where exactly? It answers your last questions.
If I'm correct and such thing is not in the wiki yet, what I would stress is ...

... for people to not project their own sh*t into the word "reset." I think because we are all familiar with using some tiny button to reset certain devices it is creating a mystery and fear about what is really happening during a Fractal reset -- even The Great Reset may be a factor :D IOW, the word reset has too many connotations. I would state it's in essence a copy/paste of values/defaults from the firmware's database into the preset -- and to not overthink it any further(!!!) (well, with some exceptions, I guess... LOL).

why do we have to reset if it's already changing things when we update.
Hopefully related...
A lot of things are upside down to how we think they are. Let's say Cliff just realized one of his understandings has been upside down all along and he "reverses" the algorithm... People who had a value of around 50 for that parameter may (in some cases) experience no change in sound (as the reverse is also 50). However, if Cliff's new ideal default is 0, people who had it on 100 will now have the least ideal setting, and potentially a very differently sounding preset. This is a case where people or Fractal should do the reset, esp. as (AFAIK) we don't get an Excel sheet with the preferred defaults.

why doing it in two steps when they can do it in one step.
It's being considered, but the more you force something, the less you respect freedom of the user and the more that can go wrong -- although this can clearly be argued both ways... :p

Last edited:
This really is confusing.
Ok, now I’m officially CONFUSED.
IMHO the most confusing thing here is ...
OMG, now even GlennO is confused ;)

what I would stress is ... for people to not project their own sh*t into the word "reset."
Y'ALL: STEP AWAY FROM THE RESET BUTTON.

TAKE A DEEP BREATH, A WALK, A TOKE, A DUMP, A TUG.

RESET WON'T KILL YOU IF YOU TOUCH IT.
RESET WON'T KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T.

Last edited:
why do we have to reset if it's already changing things when we update. why doing it in two steps when they can do it in one step.
It's not how we reset. It's when to reset

With a firmware update, the algorithms change, not the settings in people's presets. The parameters you see in the UI are just the ones that we are allowed to change. There's LOTS more going on behind the scenes in each model. When you install the new firmware, the model's algorithms are updated. People's presets are typically left alone unless it's a transparent or subtle change. If the firmware update reset everyone's settings back to defaults automatically, people would throw a shit fit when all of their carefully crafted settings and purchased presets were suddenly totally different. Manual resets allows users to make those changes when they want on a preset by preset basis so they can ensure that the settings they want get retained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom