Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Speaker Impedance Curve
I'm not sure that the SIC gets reset. I did soft resets and the SIC remains at my selected SIC, which is different than the amp and cab's settings. It should have reverted to one or the other but didn't, which is fine with me. Maybe it'll default but if we've changed it won't touch it.

I think it'd be good if there was a Cab Reset page that specifies exactly what happens in all cases in the support articles page.

In my experience when you load an amp block it loads the same TYPE you had loaded before, but all parameters at at defaults. I did not do an in-depth test for this though.

It depends on what you mean by "before". As I mentioned earlier, if you load a preset, then clear it, then add an amp block, the parameter values are retained, not reset. If the preset had no amp block when you loaded it, and you then add an amp block to it, the parameters will be reset. If you load an amp block into your preset from the amp block library, the parameters are retained (of course) and not reset. If you load a preset and change the amp type in the amp block, the parameters are reset. If you import a preset, the parameters are not reset.

IMHO the most confusing thing here is not "how" to do the reset, but "when".

Last edited:
i just see it as if you load an amp and start adjusting and it sounds good, it is good.

if you want to have the factory defaults for sure, do a hard reset.

i just see it as if you load an amp and start adjusting and it sounds good, it is good.

All the advice and instructions about resets is only relevant if you want to take full advantage of the modeling accuracy enhancements in the firmware update. If you don't care about that, you can ignore the whole reset issue. And, realistically, no matter what it says in the release notes, 99% of people will ignore the reset issue when they update their firmware. Updating advanced parameter defaults has never been a very effective way to deliver modeling accuracy enhancements.

easy GIF

Travolta Legends GIF by Pixel Bandits

All the advice and instructions about resets is only relevant if you want to take full advantage of the modeling accuracy enhancements in the firmware update. If you don't care about that, you can ignore the whole reset issue.
IMO, this denies the fact (or my hunch) that a setting can now be quite wrong or very wrong... For some settings and people it will matter less than others.

I don't know these advanced settings well enough to give a magnificent example, but I suspect my hunch is correct to some degree, as it also depends on how much an insight or algorithm changed the whole thing. For one, a few points off may make no difference, for another it could now be the worst possible setting.

Last edited:
The defaults typically don't change all that much, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't. It all depends on what Cliff changes behind the scenes.

For 99% of people out there a soft reset or using the Amp Reset feature in Axe Manage Presets is all you need.

I personally prefer the soft reset, since I like to do the reset one channel at a time and compare settings.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the SIC gets reset. I did soft resets and the SIC remains at my selected SIC, which is different than the amp and cab's settings. It should have reverted to one or the other but didn't, which is fine with me. Maybe it'll default but if we've changed it won't touch it.

I think it'd be good if there was a Cab Reset page that specifies exactly what happens in all cases in the support articles page.
I just copied from the wiki.

If I do a refresh after new firmware and i dont reset a preset pre fw25 will it work like the original (no change)?

Yeah I read that previously but I still don't see the difference between "soft reset" and "amp reset within Manage Presets."
At the bottom of the 'Reset in the editor's Manage Preset Tool' in the Wiki explains the difference:

However, be aware that this method also will reset these AMP block controls:
  • Graphic EQ

If I do a refresh after new firmware and i dont reset a preset pre fw25 will it work like the original (no change)?

It will work, but may not sound the same since the underlying model has changed. The only way to get the exact same pre FW 25.0 sound back is to revert back to an earlier firmware.

Refresh after new firmware is only for the editor and loads any new parameters and names that have changed. It does not affect the sound at all.

It is incredible the number of pages that this topic has and all the times in which the links have already been shared with clear indications of what the alternatives are so that each one can decide which one to apply depending on their particular convenience, given that there is no one. only correct answer valid for everyone, if not all procedures are valid if that is what you want to happen or happen.

Based on my experience with this firmware, what is important to highlight is that it is worth resetting the AMP blocks after updating!!! The improvement in sensations and realism of Cygnus X-3 is so great that no one will regret spending the time it takes to reset the block.

It was not difficult for me to spend a lot of time after completely restoring the Amp block of my 5 most used presets and adjusting them again to my liking, in some cases reaching different settings, given that the persistent equalization is somewhat different (but always for the better).

Then for the 400 factory presets I simply used soft reset resetting all channels in the AMP block while keeping the settings on the Authentic page. I played with several of these presets choosing random and I thought they all sounded much better. This block function took only a couple of minutes for the 400 factory presets and I have everything updated and taking advantage of the improvements of 25b

No.

The algorithms (processing rules) are updated as soon as you updated the firmware. Reset it not has no effect on that.

What reset does is replace the current values of some parameters (block settings) with the current default values for them. Besides updating the algorithms, new firmware often updates those defaults, so applying them to your presets could be thought of as part of doing the update. However, doing that may also change the preset's sound and feel, in addition to the effect of changes to the modeling algorithms.

Theoretically: NO. The previous code has been replaced. Your presets are simply settings now used by the new code.

In practice you can be lucky and not hear much change, depending on how severely the code/algos were altered.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
If I do a full factual factory reboot of my AXE 3 and then install my fw 19.04 industrial factory presets with the fw known as

Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3) and hold a super scary seance and manage to survive that and remember to reboot and do a axe edit fw refresh and follow Yek's wiki wisdom shall I achieve FRACTAL nirvana?​

so would we want the Amp block to
If I do a full factual factory reboot of my AXE 3 and then install my fw 19.04 industrial factory presets with the fw known as

Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3) and hold a super scary seance and manage to survive that and remember to reboot and do a axe edit fw refresh and follow Yek's wiki wisdom shall I achieve FRACTAL nirvana?​

no

At the bottom of the 'Reset in the editor's Manage Preset Tool' in the Wiki explains the difference:

However, be aware that this method also will reset these AMP block controls:
  • Graphic EQ

Soft reset doesn’t reset those?

I’ll give it a try.

Updating the firmware to a version that incorporates changes to the Amp block, is like changing a car’s engine and electronics. There’s no way around it: after the update, the car runs on the new engine. You may or may not experience changes to the way the car runs, depending on the upgrades.

You can control and finetune the engine’s performance and behavior through the dashboard. The equivalent of the parameters in the Amp block. E.g. the cruise control.

With the old engine, the cruise control defaulted to 100 km/hour. You changed that to 105 km through the onboard computer. While the NEW engine and electronics changed the default to 95 km/hour, they keep your personal setting intact. That is: until you perform a factory reset, which will reset it to 95.

You have also manually set the point where the engine changes gear. The upgrade of the engine introduced better eco perfomance, changing the optimal points (undisclosed) to change gear. Still, your user setting is preserved. To achieve the better eco performance, you will have to perform a factory reset of the board computer, which will wipe all settings, but it’s worth it.

PS “Refresh After New Firmware” is totally unrelated to resetting the Amp block, as explained in the much-quoted wiki section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom