Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
exciting! what i normally do when there's a significant change to the modelling, is copy the amp i'm using into the B channel of the amp block and then reset the A channel. i then have a copy in the B channel i can refer to when tweaking the A channel. useless if you're using all the channels, of course in which case make a copy of the whole preset. also recording your presets (if you don't have too many) can help as a reference for tone and level.

exciting! what i normally do when there's a significant change to the modelling, is copy the amp i'm using into the B channel of the amp block and then reset the A channel. i then have a copy in the B channel i can refer to when tweaking the A channel. useless if you're using all the channels, of course in which case make a copy of the whole preset. also recording your presets (if you don't have too many) can help as a reference for tone and level.
It'd be great if there was a way to view a different preset while editing one. This is a clear situation where that would be very helpful.

I'm immediately put in mind of a quote from one of my favorite films:

"Our standards have to be higher than anyone else because we are the standard of everyone else." (from The Insider)

I feel genuine gratitude that you continue to improve your core algorithms. Having access to accurate models is the dream. I feel like, several times since I bought the Axe-FX III, that I've ended up with a new unit. The number and quality of new and improved features that have been added over the years is truly incredible.

Thank you also for including the Morning Glory with the Hi Cut bypassed; that pedal is already astounding with it engaged!

'We've upped our standards, so up yours.'

Last edited:
I just want to look at the settings in a different preset, for insurance I've I haven't done a full reset on. Yes you can save both versions and switch between them, just looking to improve those ergonomics.
This would be for axe-edit only then, I imagine. Definitely handy if it were something that could be implemented without creating more headache than it solves!

The older version of Axe Edit for the Axe II had an Export to .CSV option that was handy for comparisons, but that was never ported to the current one. You can view the preset in Fractool and compare them that way.

You can also grab screenshots of the settings before resetting the amp as well (Windows key+Shift+S if you're on Windows 10 or 11). They get saved to your Screenshots folder automatically so you can snip as many as you need and view them all from there.

We got our hands on this yesterday, and it does change the amp’s sound.

Using the Preset Manager in Edit, I copied all my presets to a different section of the bank, then selected the copies and right clicked and let Edit do a soft-reset to them all at once. That makes it easier to bounce back and forth to compare. Some amps needed to be backed down because they were more aggressive, particularly a Lone Star and an ODS-100 preset. YMMV.

If you don’t know the difference between a soft-reset and hard then read "Reset the amp" in the Wiki.

These things are amazing, and I really appreciate Cliff’s march towards the most accurate modeling available.
Quoting for visibility and the reset wiki

I just want to look at the settings in a different preset, for instance one I haven't done a full reset on. Yes you can save both versions and switch between them, just looking to improve those ergonomics.
You can also grab screenshots of the settings before resetting the amp as well

Axe Edit also has the snapshot feature!
EDIT: it's the camera logo sandwiched between the save button and the preset+scene name window on the top.

I just installed the beta (by the way axe edit works fine) .
For the first run I left the presets as they were and then reseted the amp block, dialed in the old modified settings : holy moly!!! What a great sound! Only tried it with a IIC++, but wow! Can’t wait to try it with the other amps….

I am sorry that I can’t be more specific, but to me it sounds way more real.

Thank you fractal for this awesome update!!!

I also hear too 'polite' / smooth transition into power distortion in this firmware with PPIMV Plexi's, on the real amps I can hear a very clear point where the power tubes start to clip hard and flatten the sound, it's not a smooth transition, I need to test this further.
Followup;
Raising "HF Reso" to 10 and "High Freq" to 1200Hz measures closer to my 1960AX cab and X-Load high frequency response.
It's a balance between cab impedance curve, nfb, and bias to get the most realistic response and artifacts, once the impedance curve is adjusted closer to my empirically measured curve the master volume controls (both Pre and Post PI) respond much closer to the real amp(s).
I already wished for custom impedance curves in the appropriate sub-forum, so that's that.
All the above is in my personal opinion and experience/observation.

Followup;
Raising "HF Reso" to 10 and "High Freq" to 1200Hz measures closer to my 1960AX cab and X-Load high frequency response.
It's a balance between cab impedance curve, nfb, and bias to get the most realistic response and artifacts, once the impedance curve is adjusted closer to my empirically measured curve the master volume controls (both Pre and Post PI) respond much closer to the real amp(s).
I already wished for custom impedance curves in the appropriate sub-forum, so that's that.
All the above is in my personal opinion and experience/observation.
I'm confused about "custom impedance curves" .

You can edit them, not just choose existing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom